Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

View Poll Results: metric or imperial?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mill

23 25.84%
  • MOA

46 51.69%
  • Both

12 13.48%
  • kentucky windage

9 10.11%
  • other

1 1.12%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Poll metric or imperial

res
    I can't see the poll with tapatalk but while I can work with both systems as I'm in my mid thirties I never learnt that weird old imperial system at school so I don't use it for anything unless I have to
    Using Tapatalk

R93
    What does it matter if you can hit what your shooting at?
    When in the Army I was taught metric but I am more comfortable with and use imperial now. Imperial still rules the reloading world.
    Doesn't bother me either way as scopes still only have the same maximum amount of windage and elevation no matter what you use. Measuring distance is the same.

Its just a turn of a turret.
    I navigate in metric if using a map and compass.
    Blaser likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

If the reticle matches the turrets, the ballistics chart and reading from the range finder, what does it matter?
    I don't feel either is better or worse. Perhaps if trying to judge distance with the reticle it may help to be in metric, but then 1mil is equal to 4moa so it's not particularly difficult to use either.

I use MOA, I am young enough to have been brought up with the metric system but the last 30years or so has seen predominantly American or aimed at the American market scopes in MOA on the shelves.
    gadgetman likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Doesn't bother me either way as scopes still only have the same maximum amount of windage and elevation no matter what you use.

Its just a turn of a turret.
    Not so, the MOA PMII only has around 65 moa in moa & around 95 moa in mil for elevation.

They only have so many clicks in their turrets, the mil click is a bigger/courser measurement.

I prefer the finer (therefore some would say more accurate) imperial measurement

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    If the reticle matches the turrets, the ballistics chart and reading from the range finder, what does it matter?
    I don't feel either is better or worse. Perhaps if trying to judge distance with the reticle it may help to be in metric, but then 1mil is equal to 3.6 moa so it's particularly difficult to use either.
    Fixed it for you

That's why we use rangefinders.

Using a reticle as a rangefinder for hunting is dumb, unless all your targets are a know x amount in size

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    Not so, the MOA PMII only has around 65 moa in moa & around 95 moa in mil for elevation.

They only have so many clicks in their turrets, the mil click is a bigger/courser measurement.

I prefer the finer (therefore some would say more accurate) imperial measurement
    Ha, didn't know that. Thought you could only wind a screw so far no matter how it was graduated.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

I shoot MOA. I will never change. You see the day I lay several thousand on the counter to my first NF 5.5-22 with NP-r2 reticule that was the beginning of the end for me. At the time I just followed Tracey’s advice. It was good advice. I now have 3 NP-R2 and the new one turns up today with MORA? Whatever it is. Is it better than metric I don’t know you guys can argue that one out. All I know is it would cost thousands to change over now. I do find it much easier to make corrections from a bullet splash with the NP-R2 compared to the mil reticule though.

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugger That View Post
    I shoot MOA. I will never change. You see the day I lay several thousand on the counter to my first NF 5.5-22 with NP-r2 reticule that was the beginning of the end for me. At the time I just followed Tracey’s advice. It was good advice. I now have 3 NP-R2 and the new one turns up today with MORA? Whatever it is. Is it better than metric I don’t know you guys can argue that one out. All I know is it would cost thousands to change over now. I do find it much easier to make corrections from a bullet splash with the NP-R2 compared to the mil reticule though.
    Have you tried the NP-R1 reticle ?
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Have you tried the NP-R1 reticle ?
    No but I have looked through them. The hairs are very fine. I shyed away for hunting but then the NP-R2 is often too fine as well. Fortunately the NF illumination is excellent and seems to run forever and with that on you see into shadows no problem at all. In hind sight the NP-R1 may have been better for the shooting I am doing. The 2 moa ele and 4 moa wind is a little too much for making corrections at times.

Fulla
    Daily stuff metric. Shooting is moa, it just makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Metric for anyone not living in the past. Nothing worse than working with imperial
    Even the Americans gave up on using imperial to get man into space because the calculations were nigh on impossible. In the end they converted everything to SI for the calculations, ... then converted the results back to imperial.

Me? I'm happy with anything, a measurement is a measurement and it is the same distance whatever measuring system you use and converting between them is easy. I tend to use metrics to measure distances and error at target and just to a quick mental calculation, only takes a second, to convert to my MOA scope.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Even the Americans gave up on using imperial to get man into space because the calculations were nigh on impossible. In the end they converted everything to SI for the calculations, ... then converted the results back to imperial.
    Except I think for their first Mars (if I remember correctly) shot where they mistakenly used a mixture of Imperial and Metric in their calcs and totally missed their target and blew several billion dollars
    gadgetman likes this.

Let's not also forget the failed MBT-70 project which ended up being a complete (expensive) mismash of imperial and metric measurements. As for firearms, personally all my gear's in MOA so I use it. As long as the Americans continue to use the Imperial system, it's simply not going to go away anytime soon. Much like the aviation industry where one sees a lot of feet and pounds.

MOA for me! Most scopes & apps use it so i've just gone along for the ride.

And this only further sells it thanks Greg:

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post

Last edited by MattyP; 27-05-2015 at 06:04 PM.