Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: recoil problems

Thanks fellas the bipod was slipping about a bit on loose ground might try and get on some spikes or better ground

Sounds like i need some more range time with the 7mm. Even suppressed I struggle when using the bipod to keep what i shoot in sight, but I am running a 24x scope on it. Nt that it ever really gets wound up that much.

Baz
    I braked by 7mm Rem Mag after not being able to spot my own shots. The brake reduced recoil by 50%. Greg Duley did mine (not to start another GD v KG fight like the other forum) but it is a very nice 6 port directional brake.

I have videos of the rifle unbraked and then braked. the difference is very visible. I can now take a shot and watch the bullet impact.

I am running gunworks pod spikes, rear bag, cheek rest, timney trigger at 1.8lb. These all add up to making it easy to stay on target during recoil.

My advice is practice. The cheek rest should be set so you rest your cheek on it with your eyes closed, open your eyes and see no scope shadow. Try setting up a video camera to see what is happening??

Correct me if I am wrong tho

cheers
    Bryan and Nzgunner like this.

recoil problems

Rounds down range, cheek rest and spikes will be a start. i cant get a good cheek weld my head has to sit up to high to see through the scope and im suspect about my length of pull i will have to research how to set that.

Baz
    Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    Rounds down range, cheek rest and spikes will be a start. i cant get a good cheek weld my head has to sit up to high to see through the scope and im suspect about my length of pull i will have to research how to set that.
    There was a good article in the NZ Hunter mag by Shawn Carlock on long range rifle fit. If you can't find a copy I will scan it in and send it to you.

Showed a picture from above of Shawn holding his rifle and that the elbow should be a 90 degree angle. As well as a few other good points that slip my mind.

recoil problems

I think i might have it ive got a big stack of them ive kept them for reference they come in bloody handy as my intrest in shooting and reloading has developed

I find some times I see stuff fall off the scope and others have no idea if hit or not but usually is .I have trouble with my Tikka T3 forehand grip because the stock has no grip on it to mention.
    Does anyone know how you could rubberise or help this. Bit weak plus reduced feeling in left hand grip due to various injuries / surgeries so I struggle to hold on at times if cold etc .
    Picked up a single shot Thompson 7mm 08 break down and man the rubber on those is almost sticky. Id like to improve my stock somehow so it was super grippy at the forend any ideas ?
    Last edited by Happy; 06-11-2012 at 05:12 PM.
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    Do you want my drawing for pod spikes. Friend of mine now moved to US drew it up years ago so we have it on local eng shop cnc. Easy to make and they work good every where except on your bonnet ha ha

Name:  308 1.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  49.9 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Happy; 06-11-2012 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Wrong Pic

Banned
    yeah i do mate!

recoil problems

Hey happy drawings wont help me mate but i will buy a set if u get em made. Cheers

gunworks sell them for $55, bit loose on cheap copy bipods but nothing locktight wont fix

thanks LR308 i will check em out.

Quote Originally Posted by longrange308 View Post
    gunworks sell them for $55, bit loose on cheap copy bipods but nothing locktight wont fix
    Im happy to share the drawing so those who have a mate with a lathe can get some zapped up.
    Its like $15.00 bucks worth of alloy on a bad day.I do not wish to produce them though,
    Will post it in new thread later today. Have found the leg diameters of just about all bi pods differ slightly.
    I use two pot araldite plus have a grubscrew in mine.
    Ill post instruction ....