Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: RECOIL....your funny stories.

Not personal experiences (thank God) but second hand info.....one wildcat cartridge in my collection is a .585 Nyati, developed by one time US IPSC champion and gun writer Ross Seyfried.
    He told me when he fired the 750 grain projectile, which has enough energy to break both shoulders of any elephant, "the recoil sucked me out of my shooting glasses and clapped my earmuffs over my eyes". Consider that a .30/06 has recoil of 20 foot/pounds, the .585 produces recoil of 150 foot/pounds! Ross also developed the .500 Linebaugh for hunting lions. When he first fired the 450 grain projectile, he stated: "The recoil wasn't heavy, it was monumental! The front of the trigger guard cut the first knuckle on my trigger finger, and the grip rotated in my hand until the hammer left a bright red impression on my wrist". This from a man who daily fired several hundreds of .45 ACP rounds while training for IPSC.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    @Max Headroom there is also stories in the chopper boy's book(s) of them playing tricks on noobs wanting a job-usually on the piss too, and getting them to stand precariously on 44g drums when they fired one. Much hilarity and laughter when they would be blown back off the drums sometimes doing a somersault.
    We did that for the last great adventure. The guy flying off the drum ended up not too bad at running a net gun.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    BRADS likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 888 View Post
    "the recoil sucked me out of my shooting glasses and clapped my earmuffs over my eyes".
    I so hope somebody got that on video.
    R93 likes this.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

I was 12 when my stepfather took me out for a rabbit hunt with an old side by side 12G. He offered me a shot but without any advice on what to do, so I stood square on and pulled both triggers at once. Went straight over on my arse and had a bruise on my shoulder ( wasn't holding it tight of course) for 6 weeks. Put me off shotguns for years.
    ebf likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    Dropped a paradise duck but only wounded and it tried hiding in a clump of rushes.
    I reached forward and put the barrel of the 12g about an inch from its head and pulled the trigger (basically shooting from the hip, but with arms outstretched). Ended up with a big nasty welt across the back of my trigger finger from the trigger guard as the gun flew backwards. Duck was worse off though!

Net gunner, not nut gunner ( but sometimes you have to wonder.)

Dunno what happened to original post about a net gunner battering the door surround of a chopper when I tried to edit ‘nut’ to be ‘net’ but oh well....
    Last edited by Finnwolf; 15-04-2020 at 05:53 PM.

Gone but not forgotten
    After a day at the range with the 308. I don't know why it was my arm that bruised and not my shoulder, but a contributing factor would have been the cancer that was diagnosed three months later.
    Name:  20180227_165121.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  474.3 KB

Yes, all sorts of fun in my time.

Spent a day blowing up trees with det cord in Belize. Used about 3000 metres of that then spent the rest of the day seeing how many full mags on auto from SA80s it took to drop trees from about two metres. Burned out about six barrels doing that. Another day I shot 4 boxes (3600) of 9mm from Browning pistols in an afternoon. Then there was a day of 800 81mm mortars, including an extended period at rate 6 (6 per minute) until barrel fires stopped play. Pretty good recoil from them. Finally, spent an afternoon in Kent shooting .338 LM sniper rifles out to 1200m. Big heavy things with moderators, so very little recoil. Glad I wasn’t paying for that lot.
    Daithi, csmiffy and Joe_90 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    After a day at the range with the 308. I don't know why it was my arm that bruised and not my shoulder, but a contributing factor would have been the cancer that was diagnosed three months later.
    Attachment 136416
    Blimey - you ok now?

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    We did that for the last great adventure. The guy flying off the drum ended up not too bad at running a net gun.

I have that dvd sitting on my reloading bench still haven't watched it
    R93 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
    Yes, all sorts of fun in my time.

Spent a day blowing up trees with det cord in Belize. Used about 3000 metres of that then spent the rest of the day seeing how many full mags on auto from SA80s it took to drop trees from about two metres. Burned out about six barrels doing that. Another day I shot 4 boxes (3600) of 9mm from Browning pistols in an afternoon. Then there was a day of 800 81mm mortars, including an extended period at rate 6 (6 per minute) until barrel fires stopped play. Pretty good recoil from them. Finally, spent an afternoon in Kent shooting .338 LM sniper rifles out to 1200m. Big heavy things with moderators, so very little recoil. Glad I wasn’t paying for that lot.
    Where in Kent? I only know of the ranges at Hythe or Lydd as South Kent is where I grew up

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Grenades are very rarely thrown like the movies. They're placed or posted (dropped with force)
    Enemy that are suppressed effectively by small arms are taken out by some poor bastard that crawls up and drops some hell into their hiding spot. Once grenade has gone off they fill it with small arms fire and fight thru.

Thrown grenades in built up areas or close country have a habit of bouncing back.
    All soldiers train by throwing grenades on purpose built ranges. Combat soldiers get realistic training after throwing their 2 a year to be current with regs.
    Non combat soldiers never post grenades unless they're lucky enough to be attached to combat units and attend that particular training. When I was serving they cost about $600 per grenade.
    I will never be a millionaire but I have seen and been responsible for millions of dollars going boom

Uphams favourite toy, he used to flog them from everyone and was covered with them in combat, so the story goes. One very good book to read “The Mark of the Lion”
    R93, Micky Duck and Jusepy like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Uphams favourite toy, he used to flog them from everyone and was covered with them in combat, so the story goes. One very good book to read “The Mark of the Lion”
    An amazing human being indeed.

300CALMAN likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    Where in Kent? I only know of the ranges at Hythe or Lydd as South Kent is where I grew up
    That’s it mate. Was there when working on the Training Wing at RAF Honington circa 2009.

She didn't look like her photo on Tinder!