Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: RECOIL....your funny stories.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    I think we had Singaporean made 40mm frags also. Firing into one of the streams in Zone 20 (I think that's what it was) and onto the opposing bank, we must have had 2 or 3 blinds from the case. One went off about 1 minuet after impact, giving everyone a hell of a fright (we had taken our muffs off). Anyway after the delayed grenade detonation we had stopped firing the grenades and started the C9s when unfortunately we set fire to the scrub with our tracer. Now you would think this was a big problem so we radioed the fire fighters who were not in the slightest bit interested (I mean who would want to cross into zone 20 anyway). To every ones horror a Sgt decided to go over into zone 20 and put the fire out himself. What a twat, he had hardly made it to the base of the opposite bank when another blind exploded. He was luckily below the explosion but he must have heard some of the fragments hissing overhead. A few more meters and he would have had a colander for a head.
    I have walked into 20 by mistake while hunting once. Didn't see any sign of ordinance but was on a tank track getting from A to B

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I have walked into 20 by mistake while hunting once. Didn't see any sign of ordinance but was on a tank track getting from A to B

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Nice gold color? That would give me the shits, we were shooting 44 gallon drums with the things and the close up frag pattern is nasty. If you survived stepping on one there would be a long op in hospital removing all the fragments.

recoil....mate used my pump .12ga and left me his unused rounds when he went back home to Sweden....in that collection was half a box of Remington hypersonic.....that shit is naaaasty.I was short stroking the pump and not killing anymore ducks than with normal loads....no way in hell will I ever use them again...they would be extremely brutal in a break open gun....
    I used to end up with love bites from centrefires untill I learnt good shooting form/technique....I thank Nathan Foster for that bit...
    a very short (read 5mm over legal) single barrel .12ga was wicked on the ears ,I fired it from him and opened web ofthumb up...did same thing with long barreled version years later...
    rewa likes this.

Recent

Name:  IMG_1661.jpeg
Views: 494
Size:  5.64 MB

A few years ago @tommygun & I organised a range day with the Otago Students Spearfishing and Hunting Club to get a few first time shooters out to the range. Had ol' Chaz Forsythe (great guy, I'm sure a few of you have had your ear chewed off by him before) as range officer for the day. Great safe day out for the newbies, but of a group of roughly 20 I think 3 managed to scope themselves- one on my .270 (suppressed that thing barely kicked), one on Tommys .338LM (not completely unfathomable)... but one... one somehow managed to scope himself mildly... with an air rifle. That sound correct from memory @tommygun?

Quote Originally Posted by Tribrit View Post
    Brail wouldn't be enough.

When we first went to the grenade range I remember one guy dropped the grenade out the back of his hand as he went to throw it. Only the sharp action of the NCO instructor saved him.

They questioned the idiot afterwards, turned out he had been homeschooled and had never played any sport ever. One would think in this country that throwing a ball to be second nature. But nope.

Hes now a Major. Lol
    Hence my previous post #50 about how my Grandad used to train the our NZ troops, shipping out for WW2. Guys will panic when they think the thing will go bang in there hand!
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

My Gunmaker 500 nitro express Gunmaking
    He says most of the time he swallows the gum
    Steve123 likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    So what caused the injury?
    Is that a scope kiss,lobotomy...?

Yeah, it was his own air rifle from memory

Just rememberd another one. One of the team made a orange gun. PVC pipe with a flash ignition plunger. We all had a few beers then up to a place to fire the thing. Man could that thing spit out a frozen orange.
    My ex wife wanted to have a go so she lifted it and sort of aimed like a proper gun. She let a shot off and the recoil caused the O gun to come back and hit her in the two front teeth.
    Cost me a lot of money in trips to town to get her teeth fixed.
    sharps no 1 and Max Headroom like this.

The only time I have ever been bit was walking down a track on the farm after stuffing up a stalk on a decent stag and I saw a hare hopping up the track, so thought I'd take my frustration out on it.

.308 split my eyebrow, missed the hare.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosts View Post
    Just rememberd another one. One of the team made a orange gun. PVC pipe with a flash ignition plunger. We all had a few beers then up to a place to fire the thing. Man could that thing spit out a frozen orange.
    My ex wife wanted to have a go so she lifted it and sort of aimed like a proper gun. She let a shot off and the recoil caused the O gun to come back and hit her in the two front teeth.
    Cost me a lot of money in trips to town to get her teeth fixed.
    Ex wife because of the orange gun?

Imagine if it had hit somebody downrange, what would the ACC report read like?

"Subject concussed by potato to forehead. Origin unknown"
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    I made one of those out of 100mm pipe (it was what I had). Could never get it to go right. One day had it down at the beach just pissing about, and by luck or dumbfu*kery I lucked into the 'sweet spot' mix. Touched it off, the recoil just about ripped the gun out of my hands, the spud (which we had been reusing because we couldn't get it to go more than a few feet) disappeared out of sight into the next zip code never to be seen again. Cleared at least two hills, way further downrange than ever intended as we had no idea who might have been there. Went home, put away never to be used again. Too afraid of the bruised and numb hands!
    @Mauser308 what the hell were you using for fuel? Diesel? I had one in 50mm and it worked reliably with hairspray and was nasty with engine start.

My first centrefire was a gift from my boss in the USA 23 years ago. Anyway he loaded up a heap of ammo for me to sight it in and sent me down the paddock to his range. Got back later and he asks how it's shooting. I show him the target with about 40 holes in it and none of them in any kind of group. He gave me a WTF kind of look and said he would have a go tomorrow. I think I may have been flinching a wee bit.
    Micky Duck likes this.