Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 3 Post By Gillie
  • 3 Post By Kimber 7mm-08
  • 3 Post By HJA8
  • 1 Post By ishoot10s
  • 1 Post By Friwi

Thread: Running Boar Shoots.

Running Boar Shoots.

Greetings All,
    I went up to Taupo yesterday to shoot Running Boar with Taupo NZDA. Did not shoot that well but thoroughly enjoyed it after a break of around 15 years. For those that have not shot it you shoot at 50m standing at a pig target that runs on rails across an opening of about 10m. We were shooting fast runs which means you have a little less than 3 seconds to mount the rifle and fire a shot. Never shot fast runs before. Slow runs give you 5 seconds. Our local Hastings NZDA had a running boar range until about 10 or so years ago when our old property was sold. The shooting is normally done with a .22 RF but the Taupo range is set up for centre fire as well. I would be interested to know how many others still shoot it.
    Regards Grandpamac.

I have shot it intermittently over the years and never really seriously. The video below is me shooting it at Tokoroa at the 2019 NZDA National Sporting Rifle Championships.
    These are slow runs only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwKHa9QcRkI

Gibo, Moa Hunter and grandpamac like this.
    You cannot miss fast enough!
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GPREventsNZ
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/sgil045

I remember a 'have a go' day at the Dunedin pistol club in the 90's (back when it was seen as a family event and kids shooting pistols and black powder rifles wasn't frowned upon!) where they had a running boar set up for black powder rifles. After listening to some guy in a confederate cap called 'Rooster' explain that you have to follow through with your shot after pulling the trigger, I hit the running boar first attempt with the .50cal. And that my friends, is when I retired undefeated from the world of black powder shooting!!!
    Gillie, Mooseman and Moa Hunter like this.

I'm not aware of any Running Boar matches being run these days in Aus. This style of rim fire is a favourite of mine and I certainly wouldn't be in a hurry to part with the three I have in my collection.

ishoot10s, Tentman and zimmer like this.

GWH
    I remember my Dad use to shoot Running Boar at Rifle Rod & Gun club in Palmy many years ago, I use to tag along and watch as a kid. I do remember the old boy was bloody good at it too.

I could imagine it would be a lot of fun and quite addictive.

Good fun, I shot the NZDA shoot at Tokoroa for a couple of years. Good fun with the specific scope for it too!

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    My Walther UIT Running Boar, 4-16x56 twin post. Same as @HJA8’s middle one originally but certainly didn’t have as nice wood as his...

Name:  D56D19C9-F21A-4C3D-B891-994307523D1C.jpeg
Views: 278
Size:  181.1 KB
    zimmer likes this.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

Many years ago I didn’t know the rules of Running Boar.

So my first go at it I disgraced myself by sailing three rounds of 308 into the boar from my Finnwolf as the boar went past on its first ‘run’

BTW all three rounds went into the chest area but not high scoring...
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    @Finnwolf good work, the original Olympic discipline in the early 1900's was 2 shots per pass into the running deer at 100m so you were on to it. In some parts of EU, you still have to do this shoot with a minimum score in order to get a hunting licence. It's absolutely the best practice one can have. Running Boar was last seen at the Olympics in LA 84 I think, or 88, thereafter it was the air rifle variant, 10M Running Target, that ended in 2008. Dropped in favour of tiddlywinks or some other advertisment-centric "sport".
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

A mate of mine in France has his own running boat range , being able to practice up to 175 m at a running target. He is doing wild boar driven hunts most of the season.
    With the issues we have here with deer over population, driven shooting could be a good way of reducing numbers in certain areas and practicing for it would be good to teach hunters how to "swing" with their rifle.
    ishoot10s likes this.