Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Scopes for Long Range Shooting in NZ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPKu66HBark have a look at this ifyour wondering ffp vs sfp. panhandle precision is an awesome channel.
    janleroux likes this.

I’m a Nightforce fan since 2001, i like the solid build of them and used them out to 1200m. Had first round hits out to 800m the other day on steel and goats. I prefer first focal plan scopes now because I hold for wind and can use the reticle at any magnification.
    If I had the money a Schmidt Bender PM2 ultrashort 3-20x50

Everyone has different requirements, mine are in this order.

Robust construction
    Reliable solid click turrets
    Zero stop
    Illuminated reticle
    FFP
    quality glass ( ATACR glass is nice but not the best )
    Weight
    Tim Dicko and janleroux like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Dicko View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPKu66HBark have a look at this ifyour wondering ffp vs sfp. panhandle precision is an awesome channel.
    Thanks @Tim. Very good info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What you see, is what you get!

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    @janleroux, the first thing you need to decide, and then tell us, is what your budget is.

Good optics cost decent money, really good optics cost twice as much, or more. What you have to decide is whether the upgrade to the really good is worth another grand or two, recognising that in many shooters' eyes, the upgrade is incremental and not always as significant as the price tag suggests. Some will say yes go expensive, others will say no... no one is "right". It is very much down to how your eyes work, your attachment to certain brands and how comfortable you are spending up big on stuff.

The tip about Bushnell is worth investigating if you are in the middle ground. I use Elite Tactical scopes and hunt / pest control with them a lot and am delighted with their performance for the dollars. Vortex Gen 2 is a shit load better glass than Gen 1. Both work for me in 6-24x50 FFP, bowling goats at 700m and if I had a magnum I'd be happy to take them on further. The mechanicals work, they are reliable, I can see through them, the reticles are great, and I'm not afraid to give them a hard time in bad weather, mud, scrub, etc.

Because I am a tight bastard I've never been able to stomach a $3000 scope so I buy a $1500 one... and another rifle with the difference! Doh!

A big part of your decision is how much you will use this new scope. If you were going hard out long range shooting every week, full on maximum gangbusters, then I'd say spend the money, get a NightForce, whatever. But if its just an occasional thing, and the scope is going to be waiting patiently in the safe for a few weeks at a time, then I'd caution against spending the big number.
    So as I mentioned in my original post, I like the Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5-25x50, but I do not want to get stuck on a specific brand just because they have nice YouTube videos. I am looking for something that is readily available in NZ and have local support - tried and tested gear by real people, not marketing teams. I’ve got everything ready to go, scope is the very last bit missing - but I have been building this rifle since January. I am over waiting for stuff coming in from overseas, but I do not want to buy something that will not last just because I am impatient.

Budget $1500’ish. (I am Dutch - short arms, deep pockets - bank manager is the same).
    MIL not MOA (nothing against MOA, but my head works in metric units)
    Shooting: Paper up to 1000m. Gongs as far as I can go with a 6.5CM - I am the limitation, the scope should not be.
    Hunting: Not my main thing, but occasionally. Shorter to medium ranges until I know I can do an ethical kill at a longer range.
    FFP or SFP: FFP my preference, but I will in any case develop my own drop charts, so with the SFP I will rely on the drop charts a bit more in the beginning until I’ve got the important settings memorised. So not the main thing for me.

Just want to say thanks to everyone on this forum for your feedback and advise. It helps a lot to figure out what else to look at.

Jan, the Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5-25x50 will be perfect for what you want to do, at your price point. Good scopes, reliable, fantastic warranty.

Just make sure that you buy it from an authorised Vortex dealer and register it with the wholesaler who is Extravision (Australia) and do hang on to all purchase paperwork. There is a great deal of misinformation even coming from Vortex website regarding "worldwide" warranty and no need to keep your purchase receipt... that is bollocks.

If you run into a problem, the purchase receipt from an authorised Aus / NZ dealer makes a claim a great deal easier. I met the Extravision guys from having attended a couple of sponsored shoots with them, they are a good bunch and will standby their product but they are very wary of secondhand goods bought in other markets, e.g. the guy who holidays in US, brings one home and sells it. This was a big part of the talk that they gave us. Those personally imported scopes are not covered by Aus / NZ warranty, the will send it to the US and it is anyone's guess what happens after that. I spoke to Extravision again about this on behalf of someone just recently.

Also look at the Bushnell Elite Tactical. Some very good deals on these at the moment. Talk direct to the importer / wholesaler: Ampro Sales. See what they might have kicking around. Very helpful guys and have supported me extremely well. The same rules apply regarding warranty. Don't be fooled by the headline claims on US websites, read the small print about which markets they apply to.

Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    Jan, the Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5-25x50 will be perfect for what you want to do, at your price point. Good scopes, reliable, fantastic warranty.

Just make sure that you buy it from an authorised Vortex dealer and register it with the wholesaler who is Extravision (Australia) and do hang on to all purchase paperwork. There is a great deal of misinformation even coming from Vortex website regarding "worldwide" warranty and no need to keep your purchase receipt... that is bollocks.

If you run into a problem, the purchase receipt from an authorised Aus / NZ dealer makes a claim a great deal easier. I met the Extravision guys from having attended a couple of sponsored shoots with them, they are a good bunch and will standby their product but they are very wary of secondhand goods bought in other markets, e.g. the guy who holidays in US, brings one home and sells it. This was a big part of the talk that they gave us. Those personally imported scopes are not covered by Aus / NZ warranty, the will send it to the US and it is anyone's guess what happens after that. I spoke to Extravision again about this on behalf of someone just recently.

Also look at the Bushnell Elite Tactical. Some very good deals on these at the moment. Talk direct to the importer / wholesaler: Ampro Sales. See what they might have kicking around. Very helpful guys and have supported me extremely well. The same rules apply regarding warranty. Don't be fooled by the headline claims on US websites, read the small print about which markets they apply to.

Thanks @Flyblown, appreciate it.

Do you have experience with buying scopes from Extravision in Aus and bringing into NZ? I travel regularly to Melbourne so I could buy one there and pay the import duties when I travel back. Saves in shipping. Do you have a specific contact there that you can share with me?

Will definitely also give the Bushnell a proper look over and make contact with Ampro.

Knowing what I know bushnell over vortex any day.
    Todd hodnett choice is nightforce for high end and bushnell medium price range
    I would not touch vortex under any circumstance as they have a fantastic warranty for a reason.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

You can't buy direct from Extravision, Jan, they will just point you to a retailer. And do your maths before you import one eh, might not be as attractive as you think.
    @andyanimal31, its tough for a buyer looking for reviews, here am I with a faultless hunting experience of several Vortex Vipers since 2011, here and in Aus, the only one I've seen with a problem which I inspected before potentially buying secondhand had very obviously been dropped. I'm not doubting your word mate at all - please understand that - but I think maybe you should share specifics of why you say that about Vortex.

I think the best anyone can do is look as the major online retailers and read through all the reviews, preferably models the same or similar with hundreds of reviews. BHP Photo, OpticPlanet etc. Internet forums are notoriously difficult to form an objective opinion from due to the inherent bias that we all have, for whatever reasons. Like my bias towards Toyotas and utter disbelief that anyone could ever buy a Land Rover!
    Just...say...the...word

FWIW I have used a Vortex PST 6-24 gen 1 FFP MRAD for 5 years and had no issues with it except I felt it was a bit not quite focused at 24X no matter what I did with focus adjustment.
    I've recently upgraded to the 5-25 Gen2 MRAD FFP and IMHO it is definitely worth the $.
    glass clarity significantly better
    wider field of view
    10 mil per rev turret adjustment
    and really like the clear gap at the cross hairs intersection
    I shot at 300 500 and 600 yds last weekend and that gap bracketed the bull ring perfectly
    I managed .75moa group at 600 yds and was wrapped with that for my first 600yds shots with 6.5CM and new scope.
    During the 600 shoot the sun was low enough to beam in between cap peak and scope couldn't keep offside eye open due glare.
    Vision through scope with sunshade on was perfect no glare/flare at all.
    Got home and during clean up noticed I had shot at 15X. With my eyes I usually need as much magnification as I can get.
    Super happy with the GEN 2
    Flyblown and janleroux like this.

I've recently bought a PST Gen 2 5-25x50 and I'm extremely impressed, it's a huge improvement over the Gen 1 PST.
    The glass is excellent for the price point and it has a very generous eyebox as well as huge FOV.
    I like the reticle and it seems to dial perfectly from the testing and shooting I've done.

As others have pointed out unless you get a cracking deal overseas you often don't save much at all.
    Also only a hand full of places with ship "Tactical" scope internationally.

@Double Shot
    Flyblown and janleroux like this.

Yup ive owned three different vortex scopes and a set of binos, all have been reliable, well finished, hard used and never had an issue.

Every scope maker makes the odd lemon. My vx5 hd has a furry reticle. I will get it fixed at some point

On a $1500 budget I would look at the S3 Sightron range
    Tim Dicko likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pew-Pew View Post
    On a $1500 budget I would look at the S3 Sightron range
    Yeah, they are actually quite high on my list. The SIII 6-24X50 LRFFP/MH looks like good value. Would have been nice if it had a zero stop though. I’ve read Nathan’s books (Terminal Ballistics Research) and he had a lot of good things to say about it.

The new bushnell forges have been selling well.

moa or mil and sfp or ffp so cover the bases .

Haven't shot with one but customers with them are reporting that they dial well