Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: securing scope dial caps in the bush or transport - how?

hills are steeper now

securing scope dial caps in the bush or transport - how?

So its happened to me twice now. Pull the rifle out if its case to find the scope dials are way way gone from zero..... Both times I've had to guess that the caps have lifted up and turned without actually moving the dial..... But it certainly knocks the confidence and I'm keen on finding a useful way of stopping this from happening. The weaver 2-10 caps can lift up and "freewheel".

I'm wondering about strips of rubber around the turrets vertically, so it wraps around both caps and the scope body. Shouldn't bother bolt cycling?

But before I go and reinvent this wheel - I'm guessing the forum guru's have already solved this one?

Thanks in advance

self amalgamating rubber tape from an electrical outlet like idea electrical

Is there no number value on the turrets?

I've used a piece of stockings tied around the turret and the bottom of scope (right around the lot). Then I lift it up and slide it forward when I need to adjust the turret. Hope that makes sense.

Once you have it zeroed dial it all the way to the top counting how many revolutions. If it’s say 2.5 full turns and your scope dial moves, wind to the top then come back 2.5 turns. There is zero again. Write it on the stock somewhere.
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Banned
    A piece of car tyre tube cut to form a shroud of skirt over and around the turret secured with zip ties works well for me. Start it just behind the forward mount. For a Zero stop, a piece of PVC pipe of the right diametre to fit over the turret base and cut to form a spacer works. The turret screws down and goes a few clicks past zero then just back it off to where the zero lines up and you know that you havent gone a full turn down from zero

hills are steeper now
    some good ideas thanks. The caps have the clicks marked, but the issue is that it isn't possible to know whether the cap has "freewheeled" without adjusting the scope or whether it has actually "clicked" and adjusted the scope.

Knowing the total number of clicks to max and back is a good idea, but does that risk "backlash"?

im one revolution from the top and two from the bottom

im also looking for a good solution too tho

hills are steeper now
    Yes, but it is not always clear whether the turret has freespooled or clicked.

how would the cap turn without moving the turret? unless it come loose?

some unlock when you pop them up to rezero the dial

still the same amount of clicks to the top and bottom tho

dont use a target / long range scope for hunting.
    every time you brush past the scope carrying it, or putting it down, or using it as a walking pole you run the risk of moving any scope with uncovered turrets. ever had the rifle on the ground and pushed it between scrub on the crest of a small rise.

if you have a long range shot you have time to remove the caps and dial. (turrets should be set to Zero so you have a standard starting point),
    and don't loose the dam caps.
    Z

When you get zerod at whatever range , mark your turrets with white tippex or a white sharpie, just a straight line up and down easy to see if your turrets have moved, Then if you want take a pic with your phone showing the markings on the turrets.least that’s what I do if I’ve a scope without locking turrets.

Neoprene cover over the scope.

Or ... unzip case completely which allows you to insert/extract your hunting weapon sideways.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

hills are steeper now
    Just confirming - on the weaver super slam, the turrets can lift up and free-spool without "clicks". So the zero and graduations are all clear, no issues there. The problem arises when in the bush and you check the scope caps for zero - and they have shifted. Did I forget to re-zero after last shot/sighting in, or has it caught on something and wound clicks on or has it lifted up and freespooled? So partly a design issue, ideally there would be a way of locking the turrets to prevent this, that could be easily and quickly unlocked. No doubt there is on some brands? It's not as if I use the dials very often but it is disconcerting to look and see that it is way off zero...