Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By 6x47

Thread: Setting your eye relief

Setting your eye relief

Eye relief is important for setting up for accurate shooting but if you do all position shooting with your rifle which position do you set your eye relief up at. At the moment I set it for free hand shooting but its not ideal for a prone shot and vice versa. What do you guys do?

Unless you want a Weatherby eyebrow, it's best to set it for prone shooting. I guess if it's strictly a bush gun that you only shoot standing. then it makes sense to set it for that. Overall, I feel it's easier to crawl up the stock to "reach" the scope rather than have to back off.
    Trout, tetawa and zimmer like this.

Yep set up for prone shooting. Off hand you'll tend to use low magnification so eye relief isn't as critical to get a full sight picture. Prone you're more likely to use higher magnification where eye relief to get a full sight picture is less forgiving. So set up for that.

As @6x47 posted, set up in the prone position. It's the best compromise given that various positions, ie prone, kneeling, sitting, standing, shooting up hill, shooting downhill will present the scope at slightly different position. Saw a mate receive a beaut Weatherby shooting uphill, and he was experienced and should have known better.

Although, having said that, for my 22 bunny guns, I set them up standing. No Weatherby eye with them I would hope.

Was always taught to set eye relief at highest magnification and it will be fine at lower powers, then things like if your always shooting prone "magnums in high country" then set it prone at highest mag and if used standing adjust head to suit