Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Shooting app

Quote Originally Posted by blair993 View Post
    i really doubt any sniper team is using a phone app for the solver. It makes alot of sense for them to use a kestral. so yes they are pretty much tied to AB. very few of them would have any option on what they use. Also couldn't see the yanks paying for a Russians ballistic solver.
    AB is not perfect neither are all the others. They have all had fuckups.
    Quote Originally Posted by blair993 View Post
    i really doubt any sniper team is using a phone app for the solver. It makes alot of sense for them to use a kestral. so yes they are pretty much tied to AB. very few of them would have any option on what they use. Also couldn't see the yanks paying for a Russians ballistic solver.
    AB is not perfect neither are all the others. They have all had fuckups.
    To be fair I didn't mean a phone app as the kestrel is the go to for those boys.
    With any system they choose they keep it simple by using one system so easier for training and logistics.
    The kestrel and ab are not there by luck, they are the best system for what they want at the moment.
    With litz and hodnett on the same page which is a pretty formidable team.

Sent from my SM-A025F using Tapatalk
    tikka, Micky Duck and stagstalker like this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    To be fair I didn't mean a phone app as the kestrel is the go to for those boys.
    With any system they choose they keep it simple by using one system so easier for training and logistics.
    The kestrel and ab are not there by luck, they are the best system for what they want at the moment.
    With litz and hodnett on the same page which is a pretty formidable team.

It doesn't sound like the OP is planning to buy a kestrel so a little of topic really.

Ok, the reason I use ab on my phone and recommend it is I set a heap of people up with the tools to get further out.
    If they have problems with their solver then I am way more use to them as I can help them out by going through my app and seen where the problem for them is.
    It's also the best on the market and in the big picture with your other purchase's its pretty small change to have me on tap to help.

hunter Al.7mm08 likes this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

whats long range for you.
    For me I have not shot past 500 mtr.
    So a simple bit of paper taped to my stock in 25 mtr increments with drop and # of clicks to wind up works for me. Not interested in getting into all the complexity of secondary effects.
    I just used The Nikon Spot on app which is basic, and a range finder set to "True ballistic range" to allow for up and down. 6" group at 500 mtr will drop any deer or goat side on.

Have recently added the "TruFlite" app to my Garmin watch. (Does mean I have to have my glasses with me). It dose include air pressure, temperature and altitude.
    Preset it with my load details, BC, velocity etc on the PC
    Z
    Ps I shoot 2 rifles commonly, 1 is sub MOA, the other I use for most of my hunting shoots 1.5-2 MOA

pointblank online......all I can ask for and simple to use...perfect for a techtard,also has pretty curved picture ASWELL as the numbers/figures....

I run a Kestrel but have used Ballistic AE, Shooter, StrelokPro app and just started using Hornady 4DOF. Only use the apps for researching different calibers, projectiles, energy and velocity at maximum hunting range. I suggested Sterlok Pro to all my mates and other because it has the added feature of reticle hold over page for most scopes and really handy for non-dialup scopes.
    Hewie likes this.

Strelok, been using it for a couple of years and it helped my nail a chamois at 500 yards. Just upgraded to Strelok+ I think it's worth the $9 to get the load validation and different zoom levels for BDC reticle calibration.

Just trying one from Weta Precision. Pretty simple to use but we will see how it goes.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.