Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Shooting training

battlefield 3 , xbox 360 definitely improved my longer 2-3k shots .
    Max Headroom likes this.
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by winaa View Post
    See if your local range has a rimfire Silhouette shoot. These are tiny steel targets shot from 40m out to 100m all from standing. Really good practise and maybe someone there will help you out with a few tips, ....
    Agreed, very difficult shooting discipline. Especially trying to hit those odd shaped turkeys at 77m. The top rimfire metallic silhouette shooter in NZ is a young lady from Auckland. She occasionally attends the MS shoot at our local range down here in middle earth. Remembering one day last year when she turned up and shot 70/80 silhouettes in the morning and 72/80 in the afternoon. It was a howling N.E. wind. The next highest score was 42/80 from a very experienced MS shooter. Even more amazing was that she hadn't shot competitively for five months and said she hadn't done any practice either. In last years Oceania Games with the Aussies she shot a perfect 40/40 in one round.
    Micky Duck and rewa like this.

I found when I was young and shooting rabbits with an open sighted Norinco that instead of trying to hold on the target it was better to lift up through the target and learn when to fire. Usually if you fire as you reach the front foot of the rabbit the bullet will hit the chest. Hope that makes sense.
    Danny and WillB like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    Agreed, very difficult shooting discipline. Especially trying to hit those odd shaped turkeys at 77m. The top rimfire metallic silhouette shooter in NZ is a young lady from Auckland. She occasionally attends the MS shoot at our local range down here in middle earth. Remembering one day last year when she turned up and shot 70/80 silhouettes in the morning and 72/80 in the afternoon. It was a howling N.E. wind. The next highest score was 42/80 from a very experienced MS shooter. Even more amazing was that she hadn't shot competitively for five months and said she hadn't done any practice either. In last years Oceania Games with the Aussies she shot a perfect 40/40 in one round.
    My God! you've found her.. 'The Perfect Woman' , does she like motorcycles too..by any chance ?
    10-Ring and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RUMPY View Post
    I found when I was young and shooting rabbits with an open sighted Norinco that instead of trying to hold on the target it was better to lift up through the target and learn when to fire. Usually if you fire as you reach the front foot of the rabbit the bullet will hit the chest. Hope that makes sense.
    thats only because your .22lr was so well trained by its previous owner LOL. but seriously RUMPY is right,learning to live with your wobble and fire as you pass through target is primo way to go.
    Danny likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    thats only because your .22lr was so well trained by its previous owner LOL. but seriously RUMPY is right,learning to live with your wobble and fire as you pass through target is primo way to go.
    That got me five children LOL
    freezerfiller likes this.

The best shooters have a small wobble.
    It's mostly genetic IMHO but they train for it too.

Here's a practice session I did tonight at home with the airgun.

These are 4 positions at 22m.
    Its best to shoot for the numbers. I got 179, which is good-average for what I usually do with this gun.
    Name:  Airgun practice 1a.jpeg
Views: 227
Size:  106.3 KB

Then the possum target.
    Thank you @Gillie for posting these on the forum one time.
    This is practical practice using a variety of techniques: unsupported prone sit kneel at the head; kneeling, sitting and standing using rests, soime snap shots at various ranges from 10 to 15m at the chest; then at the paw at ranges from 1 to 5m for those finisher shots under the hedge that are so difficult.
    Name:  Airgun practice 2a.jpeg
Views: 219
Size:  170.6 KB
    Danny, WillB and Joe_90 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    I always try to get a rest when I can, however, some situations just don't allow it.

I like to think I'm a pretty good shot when I have a good rest, never rated myself as anything more than average for freehand shooting.

Lots of practice with the 22lr is always a good thing. I've been doing lots of rabbit shooting in an orchard over the last 6 weeks, I like making every shot count, so will lay prone if it's possible. I'm also using a 17 hornet, so its no drama shooting them out around 200 yards if need be, and I like the sniping them at a bit of distance when they are at ease and think they're safe, its also good practice for the way I hunt deer too.

But as I'm walking around, there are some that jump out into view that I know I'm not going to have time to get a good rest before they jump off to safety, you don't have long to think about it to get a shot away. I'm definitely finding I'm getting better at that freehand stuff the more I do it.

If you want to practice on targets and not bugger up the rabbit hunting, you could potentially set up some small steel targets and wander around and shoot them as they become visible etc. I'm thinking if you were able to walk a course and once you get past a tree (or something) a target becomes visible and you shoot it freehand quickly to try and replicate that happening on a bunny hunt.

I recently won one of these pop-up 22 targets from a FB group. Works damn well

These might be another option

Go straight to 20 secs in on the vid below

Thanks for creating such a beautiful read and sharing some beautiful videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    Don't laugh.

I have an Oculus Quest VR headset, it is standalone (no PC attached, wireless). You can get a bracket ( https://www.protubevr.com/en/ ) to fit the hand controllers to give it a more rifle like feel, and force feedback (kicks when you shot).

It's great for lockdown practice. You can take your pick of weapons, and practice all your positions in the comfort of your loungeroom.