Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Shooting without a bipod

Nice, is that a standard Miklat? Appears to be bigger??
    "O what a day, what a lovely day"

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    Nice, is that a standard Miklat? Appears to be bigger??
    It's a standard Miklat that I've had modified by Twinneedle, I had a pocket fitted on one side under the compression straps, crampon pad & ice axe loop on the back
    Dreamer likes this.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Nathan Foster's a bit of a chump & his website is a dreadful compilation of copy&pasted from wikipedia calibre articles and articles about how bedding is the cause of all accuracy problems and ~*by the way*~ he offers the service of bedding your rifle for a fee
    I have to admit he lost all credibility with me when he said most blasers had to be bedded to be accurate.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    zimmer and Mathias like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

It's a standard Miklat that I've had modified by Twinneedle, I had a pocket fitted on one side under the compression straps, crampon pad & ice axe loop on the back
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    "O what a day, what a lovely day"

MB
    Good thread. As someone returning to the sport and contemplating 70 metre plus rabbit head shots, interested to hear what others think. I'm not keen to put a bipod on my rifle, but feel that I do need a support of some kind. I've put a plastic bin in my day pack and filled the front pocket with some polyester padding material which my wife had spare. Makes a very nice rest when laying prone.

Good and well thought thought out vid.

Hunting isn't a game of absolutes. Sometimes I take and use a bipod, sometimes I don't. A bipod is good on my .223 when shooting bunnies - quick and easy and means I don't have to cart around a pack. I also like a bipod when hunting Tahr in the rocks for all sorts of reasons, but mainly because getting a pack off while I'm off balance and then pushing it ahead of me to use as rest is a pain.
    If I'm manly in the trees I leave the bipod at home, and use my pack as a rest if I need one.

I think that an important point that Gimp makes is that no one hunting tool that I can think of offers complete utility. Flexibility and lots of stuff in the cupboard to choose from is the name of the game.

Completely agree with what has been said about Fosters' web site. It would be far better and a lot more credible if all of it was his own original material. Or if at least he credited the materials that are not his own (which is the majority of it).
    Norway and outdoorlad like this.

Something I've been aiming to do this year when I get some time behind the trigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

Ejected
    I have never used one in big game hunting. It's true that you can't shoot long range accuratly without a bipod but it's also true that they are annoying heavy pains in the arse. Long story short I just don't shoot over 200m with deer and my preferred shooting position is off my knees.

Varmiting is a little different as you are normally trying to stretch the range and the targets are smaller. A bipod is still a huge pain in the arse but I used one last trip because shooting accuratly is important...

Ejected
    I have never used one in big game hunting. It's true that you can't shoot long range accuratly without a bipod but it's also true that they are annoying heavy pains in the arse. Long story short I just don't shoot over 200m with deer and my preferred shooting position is off my knees.

Varmiting is a little different as you are normally trying to stretch the range and the targets are smaller. A bipod is still a huge pain in the arse but I used one last trip because shooting accuratly is important...

Nice vid.

I always carry a bipod, personally wouldn't be without one for long shots. Anything under 300yds, bipod stays in pack, anything over, plenty of time to take it out and put it on.

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post

It is definatly possible to shoot long without a bipod. I've been getting some decent groups at 700 without one. Just depends on technique I think. The do lake thongs very stable and quick to set up. Always have one on the .22 and 223 fir bennies and wallies.

Nathan Foster's a bit of a chump & his website is a dreadful compilation of copy&pasted from wikipedia calibre articles and articles about how bedding is the cause of all accuracy problems and ~*by the way*~ he offers the service of bedding your rifle for a fee.
    What's wrong with earning a living from shooting... Wish I could if he's don't alright why knock him?
    Handy to have all that info in one spot you can take what you need.
    I've bedded two rifles now with his compound. No complaints here and accuracy has inproved
    What more can you ask for.
    Grunta likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post
    It's true that you can't shoot long range accuratly without a bipod
    I'm not convinced really. I've shot steel over 500m resting on my pack. Just never shoot long range much anymore cos there isn't one near Hoki

R93
    You can head out the farm and shoot all you want when I go.
    I have safe lines out to 1200 but don't shoot much till winter as mirage is a pain unless I can be bothered shooting early morning or dusk.

There are plenty of other places to stretch the barrel 10mins form town as well.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Now Gimp looking at the position of your legs shooting prone, your could improve your shooting with a little study!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough