Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Shot placement --- how to suck eggs...

deer243...you know well that Im not a huge fan of the EBRG but I agree 100% with your comments....infact the exact same thing gets chucked towards the poohseventy!!!!!!
    proper placement and a decent pill matched to animal size make a huge difference
    Ive shot deer with 30/30, .270, .223,.22 magnum and even the humble .12ga
    all have fallen over and the ones that didnt was due to piss poor placement of shot...... every single animal with front wheels taken out has dropped.
    deer243 likes this.

oops forgot the 7.62x39mm not theres a stuffed up cartridge for you...weak,underpowered and not particularly accurate BUT at bush ranges with shoulder/chest shots they go down and stay down.....my worst shot placement was through hips of button stag on the run...the 125grn sierra hollow point .30/30 pill exploded hip bones, and put it down immobile allowing a labotamy shot to be taken.

Classic. Nope he's got a "straight " 243 now. As straight as Jimmy can get....

Huk
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Watson View Post
    Most who have shot a lot of game will be well aware of this but for those that haven't ...

This may be helpful.

I often hear hunters say this projectile is crap "it just ran off" or this one is good it "puts them down hard" and so on and so on based on what they have seen...
    I'll repeat what I always say - it's shot placement that matters most.

Both these animals where shot well and what you see here is very typical of what a lot of hunters will experience with the animal doing a small leap then bolting after being shot in this area.

Which is centre shoulder just behind the crease of the front leg...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvkQwHsfDo8

Now the game in the next clip is shot just forward of the front shoulder being the base of the neck...

Same projectile... Same load...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3q46J8WB-s

Now I'm not saying either placement is better than the other this is purely to display how the game reacts to each hit.
    Keeping in mind all the hunter ever sees if he's lucky is an animal either falling over on the spot or appearing to just run off... at which point he hastily forms an opinion on the projectile...

... Food for thought
    You are right on the money there Doc IMHO Boiler room shots = follow ups but dead, anywhere in spine where they drop good vid shots btw

Just got round to watching these agree with above comments, awesome shooting. Some wicked footage of the neck shot on black billy seeing the projectile frame by frame :thumbsup