Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: Sighting in your hunting rifle

Quote Originally Posted by STC View Post
    One range day, mostly used for sighting in rifles, does not make a proficient shooter out of a beginner.

The HUNTS course is great, but it can only do so much.
    And this is why all new firearms users should be encouraged to join a relevant club and get first hand knowledge rather than some of the BS from the internet. There is a lot of good stuff on the internet but also a lot of dangerous tripe. The novice will not know the difference.
    GPM.

STC
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    And this is why all new firearms users should be encouraged to join a relevant club and get first hand knowledge rather than some of the BS from the internet. There is a lot of good stuff on the internet but also a lot of dangerous tripe. The novice will not know the difference.
    GPM.
    100% agreed!

Joining clubs and organizations also helps to strengthen these institutions and push back against nonsensical legislation. so its a win-win.

Quote Originally Posted by caberslash View Post
    Bullets don't 'rise', it's the peddling of such mumbo-jumbo that makes new shooters confused due to all the poor info out there. And proves that many 'experts' who write in hunting mags don't have a clue and prepetuate bad info because it is generally accepted.

Your methods involve a guesstimate of where the bullet will impact. I've seen front legs blown off due to such 'guesstimates', as if the deer is significantly smaller, the whole 'maximum point blank range' method is in the bin.

Personally range most clearings so I have a good idea already of the general range for when deer appear there. The quality of rangefinders has increased exponentially as price and size has decreased.

People should be encouraged to improve and try new methods, as you can revert back if things don't work.
    If your line of sight IS perfectly horizontal your bullet gains altitude by 2-4" on way to its trajectory peak.....is that better???ffs
    Trout, zimmer and STC like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I don't own a rangefinder but are proficient in using a topo map or topo app to best guess range.and because I simply do not shoot deer at ranges I judge are more than 350 yards and will only shoot past 250 yards if conditions are great and using the .270.... It's irrelevant.i point n shoot and stuff dies,I clean miss at close range more often than out past 150....
    STC likes this.

Bullets don't 'rise', it's the peddling of such mumbo-jumbo that makes new shooters confused due to all the poor info out there. And proves that many 'experts' who write in hunting mags don't have a clue and prepetuate bad info because it is generally accepted.

Your methods involve a guesstimate of where the bullet will impact. I've seen front legs blown off due to such 'guesstimates', as if the deer is significantly smaller, the whole 'maximum point blank range' method is in the bin.

Personally range most clearings so I have a good idea already of the general range for when deer appear there. The quality of rangefinders has increased exponentially as price and size has decreased.

People should be encouraged to improve and try new methods, as you can revert back if things don't work.
    True, projectiles are falling from the moment they leave the muzzle, but they do rise in relation to line of sight. I think anyone with a passing relationship with ballistics understands this. There’s plenty of info out there such as in reloading manuals and from ammo manufacturers. As to using ‘point blank range’ method of sighting in, it’s worked well for many years ffs. If you’re not sure about range estimation either don’t take the shot or fecking get closer. It’s not as if hunting isn’t the easiest it’s been for years now due to animal numbers.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Watched the Vid but failed to spot anything that refuted what I wrote. It was more about variability of muzzle velocity both actual and read. The dispersal of small errors at 100 metres to larger ones at longer range is simple mathematics.
    One thing I have noted for fixed focus scopes is the tendency to shoot slightly better groups, measured in MoA at 200 metres compared to 100. I've put this down to parallax. The principal reason many, including me in the past, have trouble shooting decent groups at longer range is too small an aiming mark.
    Regards Grandpamac.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    they say a picture is worth a thousand words..... that .270 load is slow and blunt projectile.... but as shown, it does not drop below 4" off point Xhairs are looking at (black line) till 250 yards its zeroed dead on at 200 yards and also as aluded to earlier...pretty darn close to half way between 0 and 50 yards..... so,if you are sighted in for 100 yards on the button...at 30 yards you will still be low/lower as bullet is still rising...not by much but it will be rising.

thats a really old chart...from really old book,way before slippery ELDX type projectiles were around...and rangefinders were no more than a wet dream...... dialing up...yeah right....sight in at range and fire to confirm it....
    things have come a LONG WAY since then..but if you were to use this as a basis for sighting in and easy no fluffing around HUNTING rifle ,life just is more simple.....
    Greetings,
    I had spotted the low BC and the 170 grain weight but didn't twig it was the .270 club (or projectile take your pick). I often wondered how many people had used them.
    Grandpamac.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by woods223 View Post
    True, projectiles are falling from the moment they leave the muzzle, but they do rise in relation to line of sight. I think anyone with a passing relationship with ballistics understands this. There’s plenty of info out there such as in reloading manuals and from ammo manufacturers. As to using ‘point blank range’ method of sighting in, it’s worked well for many years ffs. If you’re not sure about range estimation either don’t take the shot or fecking get closer. It’s not as if hunting isn’t the easiest it’s been for years now due to animal numbers.
    Ha ha I always laugh when journalists refer to someone shot at "point blank range" with the journo having absolutely no idea what point blank range actually is. Sounds good to the readers/viewers though so that's all that matters I guess.

One range day, mostly used for sighting in rifles, does not make a proficient shooter out of a beginner.

The HUNTS instructors can't hold the student's hand forever so it is up to them to make an effort to practice, join in club range shoots & hunts to become more familiar with their rifle. I believe most NZDA clubs require the student to be a member to do the course.
    Tahr, Basenjiboy and 25/08 IMP like this.

The info you get out of a hunts coarse,range days and club hunts is priceless.
    Tahr and Husky1600#2 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Ha ha I always laugh when journalists refer to someone shot at "point blank range" with the journo having absolutely no idea what point blank range actually is. Sounds good to the readers/viewers though so that's all that matters I guess.
    PBR, MRD as in StrelokPro, maximum rise or fall from line of sight. All the same thing, system has been used successfully for years. Other people use drop charts/rangefinders for ranges past 300 yds/m these days. Different strokes for different folks.

Here, I ran an evening on ballistics and caliber choices and there was a range day too.

From then on its up to the participants to help them selves and for the club members to mentor and support them as they can.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by woods223 View Post
    PBR, MRD as in StrelokPro, maximum rise or fall from line of sight. All the same thing, system has been used successfully for years. Other people use drop charts/rangefinders for ranges past 300 yds/m these days. Different strokes for different folks.
    Yeh, I know all that but I don't think journos are familiar with Strelok of ballistic tables. When they use the expression "point plank range" on TV or whatever, their interpretation is someone/something was shot at zero range ie very close or face to face. It has a dramatic sound to it. Yet again not bothering to use correct terminology or understand the terminology. Same as their ridiculous "high calibre assault rifle" statement.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Dead on at 200 yards

Attachment 236829
    Ya missed ,,the old saying, anywhere in the eye
    Micky Duck likes this.

now lets stop for a minute....have a cup of chamomille tea and rethink this statement with less emotion and a bit of logical thinking...
    IF we ASSUME the deer is say a mature red hind and it is infact a yearling.... we will UNDERESTIMATE range so would at worst shoot over top..if we broke golden rule of never aim off the meat....
    if we were other way around...yes possibility of under estimating range BUT ONLY if we were relying on size of animal in say crosshairs (the tasco 30-30 reticle method) on its own to guage range...and ONLY if we were still pushing out past the 250 yard range bit...because we dont rely on only one thing...its not a happening thing

and that is the beauty of being able to aim for middle of shoulder and know you have wiggle room of at least 4" in all directions and still have a good quick clean kill...ideally you wil lhave broadside on deer and can break both shoulders,but if you can take out boiler room and at least one of them,the animal wont be going far at all.

as for the last bit you wrote.....try new methods..... if its not broken dont fuck around with it...has been used for many things for many years.its still good advice.

having to stop and dial scope to shoot an animal at 200 yards-250 yards is plain old bonkers .
    Trout, john m and Husky1600#2 like this.