Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree122Likes

Thread: Smallbore shooting

Quote Originally Posted by seano View Post
    Ive had a "BombShell" this morning reading this thread .... Well seems after 42 years young ,Ive actually found my "Paternal Father" IS ACTUALLY @Dundee ....Thanks to @Beaker.... All these years my mum and dad told me and my sister she was the adopted(which actually a true fact)child ???

Oops on my behalf!
    Wrong sean.......
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post

Just a question, why only the 3 targets and not the 10+1 sighter target card?
    Middle one is for sighting other 2 we fire at them for the real score

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Middle one is for sighting other 2 we fire at them for the real score
    Excellent work Sean. Remember not to smile too much when you beat your dad.
    veitnamcam, mrs dundee and Sean like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Using Smallbore to hone my LR shooting skills.
    Anschutz 1415 M54 single shot, with a 4-12 x 44 branded air rifle scope, shooting Eley Club at 25 yards.
    Old range in Masterton is the 'duck's guts' for lighting, quantity of shooters (20, split 10 up, 10 down with single or double 10/1 cards) and great help.
    Also do secondary schools on Tuesday nights, local AgriCollege on Thursdays - club practise after the Ag students disappear.
    Just a new member, so am trying to get the older guys to start promoting the Club and facilities
    Good work young fellah - maybe you'll show the old blokes a thing or two eh

res
    I honestly think smallbore is the most pure of shooting sports, pure technique and no worrying about wind etc. it stands you in good stead for any other discipline in the future.
    Been doing it on and off for 24 years and have got to the point that 98 prone makes me very upset with myself and wondering what I did wrong-currently working out how to do it in China as they do have a national team for it so it is possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dundee, Savage1, zimmer and 2 others like this.
    Using Tapatalk

Very true, indoor smallbore = an equipment and technique/skills drag race, no wind issues. Outdoor smallbore, mmmm back to wind issues. Only did 1 season outdoors and many seasons indoor. At lot of the ranges, now well gone were drafty holes and that included the freezing memorial halls we also shot in. Few pianos up the on the stages had injuries. Not guilty. Gave it away as an A grader at the time the Mt Richmond range got burned down. Just giving smallbore a go for 1 season for the average hunter type shooter has enormous benefits.
    Last edited by zimmer; 30-06-2016 at 07:52 PM.
    Beaker and WallyR like this.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Very true, indoor smallbore = an equipment and technique/skills drag race, no wind issues. Outdoor smallbore, mmmm back to wind issues. Only did 1 season outdoors and many seasons indoor. At lot of the ranges, now well gone were drafty holes and that included the freezing memorial halls we also shot in. Few pianos up the on the stages had injuries. Not guilty. Gave it away as an A grader at the time the Mt Richmond range got burned down. Just giving smallbore a go for 1 season for the average hunter type shooter has enormous benefits.
    Aperture shooters @ Masterton average 98-99 with a few X's thrown in for good measure.
    Last NDC shoot a couple of weeks ago - we had a number shoot 100's with some 7-9 X's.
    My best (with a scope @ 10x) is 99, 6 X's, these guys regularly shoot 98-99, 6-8 X's with apertures.
    The oldest shooter just turned 70, youngest is early 20's.
    Great practise - and we have a wood stove fire in the 'social' room, with a kitchen and chocolate biscuits too .
    Best way to refresh rusty skills IMHO.
    zimmer likes this.

Another good score but point1 behind last weeks.
    Name:  picture 8840.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  148.3 KB
    Name:  picture 8841.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  158.3 KB
    There is room to improve but nice shooting @Sean
    Name:  picture 8843.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  165.2 KB
    Beaker and res like this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Good shooting, things to watch especially when starting out are the sight picture and breathing, always make sure your at the end of a breath when squeezing the trigger.
    Shot smallbore for 15 yrs on and off and that was what would always catch me out when I wasn't paying enough attention.

tapatalk
    Dundee and Sean like this.

Shot it right throughout high school and didn't do too bad. It has helped significantly with all other aspects of my shooting. To be honest, might look at getting back into it. Still regret selling all my gear before my big overseas experience.

Ah well
    WallyR likes this.

Must of had a bad night,on the 10 and 1 targets tonight.
    Name:  picture 8922.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  163.0 KBName:  picture 8923.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  163.4 KBName:  picture 8924.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  164.3 KB
    mrs dundee, res and WallyR like this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Don't worry young fella.
    Moving your point of aim to a new target every shot, takes a little getting used to.
    When I started (with a 10X fixed power ex-Army scope), I really had to focus on each target as my 'first target'.
    Once you've worked out your target 'sequence', a regular rhythm of target acquisition (correct target) and all the other steps mentioned by more experienced shooters above, your scores will increase.
    I had evenings where I shot 96-97, then the following week 80-90.
    Consistency in technique and methodology makes it easier for me - could work for you.
    I look forward to seeing your improvement over the coming months.
    You've got great help at your range from what I've read above - excusing the 'coaches' verbal potshots at each other
    In my experience, taking one thing and making it better, then including it as part of your shot process, gets you scoring consistently high.
    My 2c worth.
    Dundee, Beaker and Sean like this.

WallyR - dead right about position and treating each shot as an individual (plus excluding from your brain the value of the last shot if it was a bummer). Once I was shooting reasonably well I used to lose most of my points on the top right hand target - totally a postion issue. Except it progressed to the point where it got to be a mental issue when I reached that target and expected to drop a point. Took a lot of me working on me to overcome that. At least at tyro level tyros haven't got to the point of putting crazy pressure on themselves. Also saw a lot of shooters have problems with their last target - again, a mental issue. There are also various theories around about what is the best way to go around your target, once sighters completed, in order to minimise the effects of positional changes. Shooting off a rest still needs position care, no different to shooting with a sling otherwise the shots will be "muscled" over.
    Last edited by zimmer; 26-07-2016 at 05:31 PM.
    Dundee, Beaker and WallyR like this.

res
    I found by mixing up going clockwise or anti clockwise helped brake a habit of messing up the last shot. My ammo block is laid out in the pattern of the targets so it became a case of checking where I was taking the round from to know where to shoot next. Separating each shot from the ones before and after is so much harder than it sounds but the skill is one that transfers over into other areas of your life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    puku, zimmer and WallyR like this.
    Using Tapatalk

Name:  Untitled - 0.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  459.2 KB
    gadgetman and WallyR like this.