Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree15Likes
  • 7 Post By Tentman
  • 1 Post By 2post
  • 2 Post By Tentman
  • 1 Post By Tentman
  • 3 Post By Tentman
  • 1 Post By 7mm tragic

Thread: Steel "Dinner Plate" Shoot

Steel "Dinner Plate" Shoot

Gidday Guys - I'm just doing the next range calender . . . So thinking up some fun challenges. I was looking at @2post 's plate challenge and wondering how to make it into a fun afternoon shoot that's economical and a bit hunting orientated - can't really replicate the cold bore thing though !

Here's what I propose:

Centrefire hunting rifle (under 5 kgs scoped maybe??)
    9 rounds ( more if a shoot-off is required)
    250mm Gong
    No shooting bags or tripods (at least I see one being carried on a Tahr hunt above 1500M)
    No sighters. No allowance for rifle malfunction.
    Most hits wins!

COF

100M Standing, use of hill or shooting sticks permitted but must be simple hunting type.
    Fire 3 rounds at the gong. Timer starts after first shot, time to fire remaining two shots is 25 seconds

200M Sitting. Use of hill or shooting sticks permitted, as are daypacks, pack frames etc
    Fire 3 rounds at gong. Timer starts at first shot, time to fire remaining two shots 15 seconds

300M prone, use of bipods permitted, as are daypacks etc, must start with bipod folded.
    Fire 3 rounds at gong. Timer starts at first shot, time to fire remaing two shots 10 seconds

Tied scores will go again but with an 200mm gong and reduced times.

This should be very doable by a young guy with a basic hunting rifle. We can only shoot off mounds at fixed distances at our range. To increase the difficulty slightly two gongs spaced as widely apart as the backstop allows so the shooter has to move thier position slightly might work
    Trout, Micky Duck, nickbop and 4 others like this.

Too many rules and the challenges are too difficult.
    5kg rifle/ scope is a good upper limit though.

I like it, my thought regarding the dinner plate challenge is that the further away the deer is the more time you have. Not always the case but could be a consideration.
    Remember it’s a guide to range limit, If you can hit a dinner plate at a given range with your first shot then that’s your ethical limit.
    The gimp challenge confirms both your rifle and your shooting ability.

I’m all about the one important shot as I’m more about hunting than shooting. Both are important.
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

I don't see myself hitting anything like that from standing, perhaps I might from prone, so would be hoping at best for perhaps a score of 1-2 out of 9. But then that is the purpose of the competition — to weed out and shame the less capable such as myself. The only recommendation for a change from me would be to make the time for 3 shots the same at all distances. If there was to be variation I would go the other way and allow longer for the longer-range shots, the reason being that in a hunting situation the animals might be more inclined to continue standing around from a miss or misses across 300m than at short range in the bush. Spacing the gongs sounds realistic. A disturbed animal up close might only offer follow-up shots as it pauses briefly to look back one last time when moving away.

Another way of thinking might be to have only two shots at each distance with the first one being under a time limit and worth more points. Most guys at a range do like to shoot more rather than less I think. At the end of the day it's only for shits and giggles . . . And I like to test people's minds.
    Micky Duck and 2post like this.

I do agree that folks find standing shooting more challenging, but the pest destruction guys I hang out with can reliably shoot rabbits way past 100 with sticks, so 250mm is gettable. The top 2 or three shooters in our club will shoot 9 out of 9 easily the way it is. I'd think an average young fella with a Tikka 7mm-08 who hunts regularly would score 6 or 7 at least unless he/she gets skunked by time pressure
    Micky Duck likes this.

Are hill sticks quite common down south ? Ive never even seen them used. So I dont really know what Im talking about here.

Thats why I thought it would be quite hard to hit say a 300mm gong 3/3 standing (unsupported).

Any time to get the sticks ready and prepare for the shot should be included under the time limit.

An idea could be to have them shoot at several ranges in quick succession. Eg prone at 300m then standing at 100m then sitting at 200m with a total time limit if 60 or 90 seconds. Sort of modified M shoot.

Ha a big part of PRS style shooting is to carefully read the COF. Nothing said about standing at 300 - its 100 only and while a 250 diameter gong is challenging, I'm not the best offhand shooter but have nailed a lot of deer offhand at that sort of range.

The NRA type range we shoot on doesn't allow for varying target distances from the same shooting point so changing distances in quick sucession can't be done. The sticks thing is to make it easier, but to not make it "gear orientated" where a tripod is "required" to compete on equal terms.

I like it.
    My thinking on this sort of competition is you everyone to be able to post a score (within reason) that isn't to embarrassing, but you don't want it so easy so that you end up with half a dozen on max points.
    I don't think you want too many shots at each target otherwise those with thin barrels maybe at a distinct disadvantage (if they aren't already)
    Bagheera likes this.

Banned
    I think the 100mtr should be un-supported and that we should defer to @Norway for comment as he shot the best 100mtr offhand group in the dinnerplate challenge

At 300m I'd just sneak closer to the gong.....

Mentioned on another thread "...Hornady is now 5 bucks a pop.." Makes it a $45 shoot....

I might for shits n giggles test myself at 300m...never shot at that distance before so it'd be interesting....

Sent from my SM-T225 using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    I think the 100mtr should be un-supported and that we should defer to @Norway for comment as he shot the best 100mtr offhand group in the dinnerplate challenge
    I have got my nordic dwellers mixed up and apologise for my mistake. It was @norsk who shot the best offhand group in the dinner plate challenge