Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Stuck Chokes

Quote Originally Posted by ONYVA View Post
    do not use an easy out , on a thin wall choke it will expand it outwards and do more damage. you can buy an aerosol can from engineering supplies that can freeze metal with its spray, i would heat the outside gently then spray inside the choke to shrink it after soaking in penetrating oil, then try undoing it.
    please note that modern freeze sprays are bloody flammable, they used to be CFC based, nowadays its pretty much LPG !

Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    feked the barrel.
    Typical Plumbers job huh!!!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    yup and Doli did it for free
    Frogfeatures likes this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Back in the day years ago before I went to Oz and actually went shooting in the rain etc, I heard horror stories about stuck chokes, rusted in etc.
    Being the good fitter I thought I was I came up with the cunning plan to use a light smear of copper coat on the choke.
    Works a treat, its slightly greasy, transfers onto the next choke a bit and I'm not worried about the choke coming undone as there is always a little grab on the thread.
    its been in there for 20 years now in some horrid weather and many hundreds of shots through it so I will keep doing so.

dare I say it mine has vaso on it.....seems to work ok in tight spaces.....

Copper coat is good stuff. Lasts forever.

Copper coat is good stuff. Lasts forever. Caso only lasts 5min max.: thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by CATLINS HUNTER View Post
    Copper coat is good stuff. Lasts forever. Caso only lasts 5min max.: thumbsup:
    Bloody stupid computer.

I live in fear of the "stuck choke" disease so my Trap Gun is stored minus chokes. The choke in my 870 however is un-removable so there it shall stay
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Not wanting to thread hijack, but who actually bothers changing chokes. I think I’ve moved mine twice on two different guns. Duck gun has imp cyl in it, and only comes out to be cleaned, never run anything different. Then again, I’m a pretty rubbish duck shooter...

Generally I agree. I don't swap willy nilly but I swap from the tighter choke I used when I was shooting rabbits with lead shot to the one I use with steel for ducks

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    I keep a 1/2 in the semi, no matter what, don't even know if it will come out.
    U/O gets changed a bit, from skeet/skeet to 1/4 and full depending on shooting.
    I am also shit at shooting ducks, I like the fuckers sitting still and not to far away.
    Paddy79 likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

1/4 winchoke for first hour of the day and the last hour....also for tight spot jumpshooting...the imp mod 3/4 goes in for geese,middle of the day and any time I think shots maybe longer. they both work well and truth be known I could leave either in and be happy.... it does make a difference and birds in close get cut up with tighter choke.

LM and Skeet in my trap gun although sometimes full and extra full but I shoot neither better or worser with either setup.
    1/4 and 1/4 in my 20g "hunting gun"
    and 1/2 in my Rem 870 cause thats whats stuck in it,

Shoot about the same with all of em.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Auto 5 is full choke barrelled and my favourite field gun by far. Such a pitty it cant take steel. I havnt changed the 3/4 in the extreema since I got it. The only gun I regularly change chokes in is my o/u for skeet and dtl, as I tried skeet once with 3/4 and full and didnt go so well.
    csmiffy likes this.