Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 'Subsonic' .22 ammo going off with a crack

'Subsonic' .22 ammo going off with a crack

I was trying to have a quiet spotlighting session last night and I fire the first round and it was loud as... Massive crack. I checked the box and it's Winchester .22lr 1065 fps 'subsonic', Hmmm

Anyone else had this issue before?
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy decoys

There are several factors that cause this sort of thing, lessor quality ammo going a bit faster than its supposed to is the most likely. Atmospheric conditions also have an effect on the exact speed of sound.
    stingray likes this.

make of ammo ?

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    make of ammo ?
    Winchester, hollow points, can't remember if they were 40 or 42 gr loads. good thread, thanks Allgood

Quote Originally Posted by slk12 View Post
    I was trying to have a quiet spotlighting session last night and I fire the first round and it was loud as... Massive crack. I checked the box and it's Winchester .22lr 1065 fps 'subsonic', Hmmm

Anyone else had this issue before?
    Maybe time to clean the suppressor?

Had that with CCI subs too occasionally
    rugerman likes this.

I have had subs going through a hot supressor "cracking" before with cci's. I didnt pay attention to it too much but
    Im sure it had to do with the heat.

how short have you made barrel???? wasnt so much an issue back with long barrels but there is a sweet spot where 90% of subsonic stays subsonic,and if you go slightly shorter it wont be...I BELIEVE it accelerates out to so far then starts to be slowed down again
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    how short have you made barrel???? wasnt so much an issue back with long barrels but there is a sweet spot where 90% of subsonic stays subsonic,and if you go slightly shorter it wont be...I BELIEVE it accelerates out to so far then starts to be slowed down again
    haha its a longish barrel and with the suppressor the gun feels about as tall as me, not sure on the measurement but is far longer than the old 870 which has a 28 in barrel.
    Micky Duck likes this.

had the same thing with CCI subs which is why I went with the very low velocity stuff ( 770 fps) but that seems very hard to find so back to the cci for me.

I had a load first shot cold bore with CCI sub the other day. Put it down to having sprayed the DPT suppressor out with WD40 as they recommend.

Does a 22 barrel get a bit faster as its worn in ?

I had a CCI sub do that last night too. Sounded like a normal .22, not the usualy quiet supressed sound

Air density at different altitudes can change the speed of sound so may also be a factor.
    NAKED_GOOSE likes this.

I had the same experience with that remington???viper (yellow packet) sub shit .my old toz17 is very catholic in her ammo feeds but that shit was diabolical .one round went poof like a marshallow witha puncture ,the next put my.223 to shame .the old buck jacko iwas attempting to bowl sat there in amazement as a round skipped past like a drag queen at mardis gras,before a hypersonic round screamed over his swede.Tosay i was disgusted is an understatement . Ive always found winchester subs and dynapoint to be my pet .22loads -bloody deadly on small game .
    In saying this though did i read here recently that quality control on winchester could besuss??-must buya couple of packetsd on pension day befor e this whore of a register throws herself at me.