Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Tarata 800 - Medium Range Steel Shoot - Saturday 16th of March 2013

How did the shoot go?

Thanks Simon for organizing the shoot, we enjoyed it and it was good to catch up with fellow shooters.

Cheers for the comments guys. It was an enjoyable day. Sorry i didn't get any photos as i was busy running it all day. Also i didn't record a whole bunch of target distances so if anyone wants to remind me of them feel free. A difficult days shooting with only light but very shifting wind and of course almost no wind indicators.

Competition was run as follows:
    Everyone was set up on the shooting line at the same time and competitors were directed to shoot individually so we could spot and score each one.

Stage 1: Target 1: 785 yards (??)
    A 14", a 10" and a 6" target were set up along side each other. The competitor was allowed two shots at any target they nominate. Each hit on the 14" target was worth 2 points, each hit on the 10" target was worth 5 points, each hit on the 6" target was worth 10 points.
    The top score for this stage was 4 points...

Stages 2 - 8:
    Competitors were allowed two minutes preparation time after they were informed tha target number they were to be shooting at. At the end of the preparation time they had to stop what they were doing. Competitors were then individually given 20 seconds to fire their first shot at the target and then 10 seconds to fire their second shot at the same target. The ten second countdown started as soon as they had fired their first shot.
    Scoring was 5 points per hit.

Stage 2: Target 2: 6" target: 490 yards (??)
    Two competitors hit this target both times for the maximum stage score of 10 points. Just about everyone else missed it. ChrisF made an awesome first round hit on this target but then missed the second shot because it was still swinging round

Stage 3: Target 10: 10" target: ~850 yards (??)
    Three competitors hit this target both times for the maximum stage score of 10 points.

Stage 4: Target 14: 14" target: 965 yards (?)
    I managed to hit this one twice for 10 points. NK hit it once. No-one else hit it.

Stage 5: Target 4: 10" target: 835 yards (??)
    No-one manged to hit this target at all.

Stage 6: Target 8: 6" target 438 yards (?)
    Everyone hit this target, most people hit it twice for 10 points even though it was swinging for their second shot. RUNAS was smart though, just hitting the very edge of the target with his first shot so it didn't swing too much so he could hit it again with his second shot. I am sure he will say this was deliberate. ;D

Stage 7: Target 13: 10" target: 825 yards (?)
    Only NK hit this target, and he only hit it once.

Stage 8: Target 9: 10 " target: 690 yards (??)
    NK hit this target once but Grasshopper hit it twice for 10 points. No-one else...

Stage 9: 915 yards (?)
    A 14", a 10" and a 6" target were set up along side each other. The competitor was allowed four shots at any target they nominate. Each hit on the 14" target was worth 2 points, each hit on the 10" target was worth 5 points, each hit on the 6" target was worth 10 points.
    RUNAS hit the 14" target with his first shot, then hit the 10" target, then missed his next shot and finished by hitting the 10" target with his last shot. He top scored this stage with 12 points. Only two other people hit the 14" target, and they only hit it once...

RUNAS won the day, narrowly beating NK by pulling off some great shooting on the last stage.
    All in all, i managed to set another difficult competition. My excuses are forgetting my range finder when we were setting it up and simply assuming the wind was not going to be anywhere as difficult as it was. We had wind coming in from three seperate directions for a while there. Next time the target distances will be shorter but it will be a true field competition involving movement and multiple firing positions.

We all hung round for a few hours after the competition was finished to have some fun and a couple of spectators got their rifles out to have a go as well. I think i saw at least 3 magpies go down but that was in between several misses.

NK & Grasshopper, thankyou very much for letting my partner have a go with your rifles, she thoroughly enjoyed it and is continuing to pester me about her getting her own long range rifle.
    ChrisF i have to thank you for letting Hans have a go with your AI. He was very impressed with your S&B PMII and was talking to me about it afterwards.
    Pneumatix, thanks very much for helping me set up and pack up the targets. Your help was very appreciated.
    veitnamcam and 199p like this.

Sounds like a great day out

NK and Grasshopper is the same person in two different forum. Nelch is the junior.

Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    NK and Grasshopper is the same person in two different forum. Nelch is the junior.
    Sorry about that was guessing!

SoundS like fun day out lads.

Good on ya Gillie for organising it.:thumbup:

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Professional Armed Tramper lost's Avatar
    Was a bloody top notch day! Bar my shooting..

Good to meet some people and fling some lead down range, not always hitting the steel.. Hahaha

Cheers Simon for organizing and running the shoot!

Nelson (young Grasshopper, aka NelCh)