Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Theading for suppressor in Tauranga

Dean did a beautiful threading job on two of my rifles. He mentioned he was busy and had a lot of work on at the time. When he went to grab my rifle from the storage area out the back of his workshop, which was an area the size of a one car garage, the place was knee deep in gun cases. That is how much work the man was having to juggle. I was amazed he had that much work on and I asked if it was normal. He said it was a bit above normal but not much.
    dfmaisey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dfmaisey View Post
    YA KNOW....... people wonder why there aren't more 'real' gunsmiths around, and why the good ones that stick at it tend to get a little bit grumpy with age putting in big hours for very modest income....... Guys like HAPPY, don't come on here and slag me off while hiding behind an avatar with this sort of crap....... You can't expect to turn up here with a suppressor that you purchased from someone else, try to push in the que ahead of other guys, then expect me to match the discounted/subsidised fitting rate that the big suppressor makers quote to fit THEIR products. As an independent custom gunsmith, i will fit suppressors that guys supply themselves, but it is on the understanding that they are going to be charged the full amount of time for me to do the job for them + admin time, with the job done properly by me, in my workshop, and on my equipment. Not given over to a helper or general lathe hand to do.

I-phone generation wants everything now, but doesn't want to pay for it - or pay as little as possible. I will quote realistic lead times based on my current workload, and estimate a price. 2-weeks is a pretty reasonable lead time for small jobs, which is what i try to achieve, if possible. If that is too slow for you, then simple answer is to plan ahead, or be prepared to pay extra if you want express service, or you can take it to someone else if you wish. If you accepted that and are happy to leave it with me and happy with the work i have done for you, then don't moan about the price later. Just because others in the industry are under-charging, or engaged in a race to the last dollar doesn't mean that i can afford to follow suit. It is a hard enough industry to make a go of without having to work for peanuts or next to nothing. This is the main reason alot more decent skilled guys aren't doing gun work full time - they can make much better money/living doing something else. Remember that the guntrade in NZ is still an un-regulated industry. There are some good guys in the industry, but there are alot of cowboys as well. Cheapest is not always best.
    You re obviously confused as well as grumpy. You were never asked for any que jumping .you don't make suppressors so who's you gonna fit ?? You should ph Gunworks or DPT and ask them to teach you to be nice and helpful. Their businesses seem to be busy,healthy and growing. Pull your head outa your ass while your at it Oh you wouldn't like DPT he only started recently and has grown really fast Gee I wonder why
    iPhone gen ha ha dam I wish I m older than you.as @Maca49 said you re obviously not in a service business
    Toby likes this.
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Happy, you're an idiot.

Nuf'said...
    Hmm just what I didn't want on this thread, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but direct personal attacks are not called for !!!
    And if that was directed at me F@#* You, you don't even know me !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Natatale View Post
    Hmm just what I didn't want on this thread, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but direct personal attacks are not called for !!!
    And if that was directed at me F@#* You, you don't even know me !!!!
    Natatale Happy had an unhappy experience not aimed at you
    Natatale likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Toby , they are NOT the same thing , I have both types of threading , and the even a Blind man could see the difference in the finish on the thread & crown areas ,its as simple as IF you want something finished to a high level , you pay for that , like in all things , you normally get what you pay for .

Later Chris
    dfmaisey likes this.