Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Using iron sights

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The bomb View Post
    I found I would lose the rear sight in tight ,dark bush when using ghost ring set up but not so much with the shallow v I use now,hi viz front sight helps a lot as well.i mostly bush hunt .no doubt Carlson highway will come along soon and give good advice on the topic..
    This is good advice. Like Bomb says a ring or peep rear is hard to see in the bush unless it is big. A 'V' is faster (very fast) to use if you start under the target and come up and squeeze off. Just make sure that the blade and V naturally align - by this I mean move your eye alignment to each side of the v. This will look really wrong with good open sights and you should be automatically drawn back to correct centering with the clear space each side of the blade exactly the same. Don't get those horrible square sided rear sights
    Russian 22. likes this.

Banned
    Without Carlsenhighway this thread is pointless.

Nevertheless, what was said about open sights and natural alignment is important.

I can force my eye into alignment on a couple of my rifles, but when I open both eyes or am relaxed I shoot WAY high.

My giant neanderthal throwback head has big proud cheekbones so even though I can force it, my natural alignment is much higher (stock too high, sights too low) so I shoot high.

Sent from my CPH1701 using Tapatalk

Used a peep rear sight on my air rifles, lost the screw-in disc with the small diopter hole in it -- but the larger threaded hole left behind proved very useful including in low light. Like @ebf said, your eye centres automatically in the bigger circle, so it does not translate into much poorer accuracy than with a needle-size dioptre hole. The larger hole also aided quicker sighting.

If you are over 40, things are not totally cool with open notch rear sights unless you have a really long old battle rifle, so go for the rear peep hole sight. Or the humble red dot, but that is another thread.
    Russian 22. likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post

Nevertheless, what was said about open sights and natural alignment is important.

I can force my eye into alignment on a couple of my rifles, but when I open both eyes or am relaxed I shoot WAY high.

My giant neanderthal throwback head has big proud cheekbones so even though I can force it, my natural alignment is much higher (stock too high, sights too low) so I shoot high.

A bit of tact and a filter would mean that he'd still be here.

Would like to know his thoughts.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    A bit of tact and a filter would mean that he'd still be here.

Would like to know his thoughts.
    A different admin that did not play favorites with their mates and he would still be here.

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post

Hmmm, so the thread is pointless, but yet some important info has been provided ?!?
    WallyR and Russian 22. like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Hmmm, so the thread is pointless, but yet some important info has been provided ?!?
    There must be a point between pointless and totally pointless at which there is some point ??

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    There must be a point between pointless and totally pointless at which there is some point ??
    You may well have a point there @Moa Hunter, but since Tussock has decreed this thread to be pointless, I think any further discussion of your view would be pointless
    WallyR likes this.

Banned
    You may well have a point there @Moa Hunter, but since Tussock has decreed this thread to be pointless, I think any further discussion of your view would be pointless
    Since when do Tussocks pointed assertions take precedence over our open sighted points of view ?
    Steve123 and mimms like this.

Banned
    Hyperbole
    Hyperbole is the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device or figure of speech. In rhetoric, it is also sometimes known as auxesis. In poetry and oratory, it emphasizes, evokes strong feelings, and creates strong impressions. As a figure of speech, it is usually not meant to be taken literally.
    More at Wikipedia

Alas, poor CarlsenHighway, distraught that he would not be allowed to run his shoot lest it compete with one that was cancelled anyway, lost it for a moment and said regrettable things. A small blemish on an otherwise spotless record of tact and decorum. His banning is a great injustice.

EBF you could learn a lot from CH that might improve your success at service rifle shoots.
    WallyR likes this.

back to the subject, take your bickering elsewhere !

as a young fella (about 8 or so) i started getting into air rifles so these were open sighted and got pretty good at knocking possums down, at 12-13 i had my first 22 and also open sighted.
    then later on by a few years everything had to be scoped unconditionally.
    roll on 20+years i got the l/a bug which i dont scope but i still have rifles that are (no point having a long range rifle with open sights unless its a mini gun with tracers)

now please stop the BS because frankly you are giving the anti gun mob a foot in the door. pm each other if you want, hell i dont care if you get an 0-900 number and pay each other money to say f... you but get it off channel

ok rant over
    Steve123 likes this.

ebf
    Well, if I can make it to the next SI big bore shoot and Carlsen is there, I am sure we can have a fruitful discussion about the finer points of shooting iron sights

If there is one thing I have learnt through competitive shooting it is that there is always someone who can shoot better than what you think you can. It is one of the fun parts of traveling around the country to different comps, you often meet "club" shooters who can put put some of the big-name national level guys to shame...
    WallyR, Cordite and Tussock like this.

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    no point having a long range rifle with open sights unless its a mini gun with tracers
    Got to disagree with that

Visit any fullbore club and you will see folks shooting from 300 to 1000 yards with "open sights". Guy I know down Canterbury way recently posted a 600 yds sub-moa 10 shot group, using aperture sights !

We have a Service Rifle comp in Welly each year where guys shoot out to 800, some with apperture sights, and some with normal peep/front blade setups !

And even some of the black-powder boys shoot out to amazing distances using Sharps or Highwall replicas with Creedmoor tang sights.

This weekend we had guys shooting out to 200yds using irons and big bores, and several had a go at the 500 yd gong after the comp.
    Moa Hunter, WallyR and Cordite like this.

Got to disagree with that

Visit any fullbore club and you will see folks shooting from 300 to 1000 yards with "open sights". Guy I know down Canterbury way recently posted a 600 yds sub-moa 10 shot group, using aperture sights !

We have a Service Rifle comp in Welly each year where guys shoot out to 800, some with apperture sights, and some with normal peep/front blade setups !

And even some of the black-powder boys shoot out to amazing distances using Sharps or Highwall replicas with Creedmoor tang sights.

This weekend we had guys shooting out to 200yds using irons and big bores, and several had a go at the 500 yd gong after the comp.
    hell i need more practice. 200m with opens is the best i ever did
    ebf and WallyR like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Since when do Tussocks pointed assertions take precedence over our open sighted points of view ?
    I see what you did there
    Moa Hunter and Cordite like this.