Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: What caliber?

7mm rem mag, 300 win mag, 300 wsm, 7mm saum, 284 win. All sweet options. Factory ammo i’d go one of the first three.

270wsm snorting out the 145eld-x would be a sweet combo too.

I have a suppressed 19" 284 and a 26" rem mag. The 284 is a much nicer do everything carry around rifle that can reach out if i really need to. If im going tahr hunting where longer range can be more of the norm i take the rem mag. For predominantly under 500 occasionally reaching beyond id be looking at a nicer handling 284. If looking to focus in the 5-700 range more frequently something with a bit more grunt is worth the associated weight of longer barrel, different stock design etc. Ive shot my rem mag to 1300 on steel but limit to 700 on animals and even then it is a very rare occasion i actually need to shoot that far and cant get closer. Pretty easy to make a mistake when in the field and dont want to wound animals so try to save the longer stuff for lower consequence targets (steel/rocks/cow poo )
    Last edited by distant stalker; 01-01-2019 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Typos
    mikee, Danny, WillB and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by distant stalker View Post
    I have a suppressed 19" 284 and a 26" rem mag. The 284 is a much nicer do everything carry around rifle that can reach out if i really need to. If im going tahr hunting where longer range can be more of the norm i take the rem mag. For predominantly under 500 occasionally reaching beyond id be looking at a nicer handling 284. If looking to focus in the 5-700 range more frequently something with a bit more grunt is worth the associated weight of longer barrel, different stock design etc. Ive shot my rem mag to 1300 on steel but limit to 700 on animals and even then it is a very rare occasion i actually need to shoot that far and cant get closer. Pretty easy to make a mistake when in the field and dont want to wound animals so try to save the longer stuff for lower consequence targets (steel/rocks/cow poo )
    I have more or less this set up as well, a carbon stock 22 inch 284 and a 26inch barrel 7mm rem. As stated above both calibers will do it. Beware if you're hunting with others they'll often want you to bring the rem so they can carry their lightweight rigs! Haha the t3 in 7mm superlite with a stug stock would be wicked tho! Both calibers are easy to reload for, take your time with a beer. It's my favourite part.
    2post likes this.