Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Where can i shoot my ar15

Quote Originally Posted by Burb122 View Post
    To tell the truth i would prefer to shoot with out range officers and tards either side of me. Ive been to your range and was treated like shit from most people there. And the range offiers were all grumpy c**ts. All i had was a 22 magnum. Wasnt impressed. Prefer a farm were you can let it rip.
    Could do a day trip to the Taupo range if you were desperate. No RO's or any of that crap just roll up

Shut up and Shoot
    You need to come to a Service Rifle Shoot in Wellington then
    Daggers_187 likes this.

i offered Burb122 a place to shoot in Auckland --no pm cant be that in need
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

Sorry mate, have been over seas. Will pm you

sorry for bumping an old thread - when i was a youing fella, the old man would take us for a shoot up Muriwai beach, towards the bombing range. has anyone been up there lately? what are the rules around shooting in there? not poaching, just for a 'range' day sighting in etc

I've just come across this thread and thought I'd comment on a couple of points.

The AKL Deerstalkers range. I started going a couple of months ago and have been around 4 times so far. The first time was absolute chaos, every man and his dog wanted to shoot that Sunday and I too found the RO staff somewhat surly but I put it down to them having to manage a large crowd. The 25yd range in particular one could barely move and the racks were full - this made for a particularly awkward day's shooting. Subsequent times have been far less busy and the RO staff were cordial and helpful.

As for shooting semi's, out of consideration I inform the person next to me what I'm shooting and what they might expect coming their way. On the 25yd range there is some plastic boarding which can be stapled up to deflect ejections. On the 100m range, if someone's going to be receiving my hot brass I'll try and shoot when he/she is reloading but obviously this isn't always convenient and really, it's tough titties if they have a problem with it, other days I'll be that person. Luck of the draw.

I've noticed that one or two regulars seem to have a bit of an attitude but I just go about my own business. That said, the majority of other members I've met and shot with have been pretty friendly and approachable.

Still - nothing beats having an unrestricted "yipee" on private land

Quote Originally Posted by De la Rey View Post
    Still - nothing beats having an unrestricted "yipee" on private land
    I hear that, I've been to the new TECT Park range in Tauranga twice now and I cant do it again, they are over the top with rules.

I'm in the same boat, I've just ordered an ar and waiting with great anticipation for its delivery, but I can't shoot at home, near riverhead because the neighbour keeps horses and nothing rubs him up the wrong way like loud bangs... Anybody local with a area where I can have a blast?

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Welcome to the forum Ropeboy. The Auckland NZDA range is at Riverhead. You could shoot it there.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

In all of this some people need to have a reality check .Try being a Range officer and see what it is like ?.
    And for the record if some Moron manages to do some injury to themself (or others) the Range Officer can be held to account, to the point of being charged for Manslaughter.
    Kscott, Barefoot and Happy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankd View Post
    In all of this some people need to have a reality check .Try being a Range officer and see what it is like ?.
    And for the record if some Moron manages to do some injury to themself (or others) the Range Officer can be held to account, to the point of being charged for Manslaughter.
    +1. If some dickhead yobbo decides that the rules don't apply to him and something goes wrong the implications/consequences for all Ranges across the country could be quite severe.

I'd love to know what some of the rules are at ranges that people dislike so much?

It's because a lot of people simply don't like being told what to do by someone else. Esp when they think they know everything there is to know - point the rifle in a safe direction, and so on The thought of being told to empty chamber and show it to someone else just rankles them.

Personally it falls into the tough shit box. Choose to shoot on a range = choose to follow the rules.

But bear in mind there are a lot of clubs with members who feel being the superior person with knowledge gives them the right to be rude and arrogant to newbies. The thought of explaining steps to them and trying to be welcoming is just foreign Shame really, it's just one of the dynamics of people.
    savageshooter likes this.

Well, don't take your AR that was previously A-Cat prior to 11 Dec 2013 and is now effected by the law change to the Auckland NZDA Riverhead range.
    The branch has decided to ban them from being fired, which is a bit prompt considering most owners will have not enough time to get a compliant stock or apply for the endorsement.

There were a few complaints last time and the ROs gave in, especially as some people had driven 45 minutes to shoot.

I believe TECT Park has done the same thing.

ASRA are being more pragmatic, they will gradually phase this in and work with effected shooters to comply.

FYI, it was the black rifle shooters (incl me) last time at the range who knew safe range protocol, whereas a few bolt action rifle hunters/shooters were the guys handling rifles when others were forward etc.
    So being a dick at a range isn't an exclusive quality to any type of shooter.
    Last edited by dogmatix; 24-01-2014 at 10:26 PM.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Just for some information ,if you think you have been not treated correctly on a Civilian range ,just try a Millitary one .
    If we so much as touched something (without being told too) you would have not only your intelligence questioned but also whether you even knew who either of you parents where .
    It was funny as hell because some idiot would always do it
    HOWA308 likes this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Tankd View Post
    Just for some information ,if you think you have been not treated correctly on a Civilian range ,just try a Millitary one .
    If we so much as touched something (without being told too) you would have not only your intelligence questioned but also whether you even knew who either of you parents where .
    It was funny as hell because some idiot would always do it
    Things must have changed. My recollection is that you would have a sergeants boot up your arse.
    Barefoot and Daggers_187 like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms