Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes
  • 8 Post By Stumpy88
  • 2 Post By Happy Jack
  • 2 Post By Jhon

Thread: Englishman new to NZ

Englishman new to NZ

Hello all,
    I've been in NZ for a year now having left the uk where I was working as a pheasant keeper, I have so far loved my time here in nz and how accessible hunting is and the attitudes of nz hunters. I have a passion for working dogs being a spaniel man myself but have dabbled in terrier work and sighthounds as well as with hunt packs ( drag hunting obviously) previously, I founding interesting with the abundance of hares and rabbits there seems to be a lack of people working dogs on them and wondered the reasoning for this is it simply that as they are such a pest it's far better to use the rifle on them would like to hear more on this and speak to anyone who does have dogs they hunt hares or rabbits with.
    I have had the pleasure of going pig hunting which I thought was bloody brilliant!!! As anything of the sort at home is not only illegal but frowned upon however I saw it as a brilliant management tool to not only keep numbers in check but to keep the freezer full I really can't see any other humane way of managing their numbers in your dense Bush.
    Lastly is there some where that legislation on all things hunting is easily available as I sometimes find it hard to understand from the actual written up laws, as a keeper in the uk we were heavily regulated on almost everything we did but there still seems to be things I can do here but not at home or things I can do at home but not here would rather be clued up on everything before I make a start out there.
    Many thanks for your time.
    tetawa, 308, Grey Kiwi and 5 others like this.

Welcome from another exPat been here since 2001 and not likely to ever move back, pity your not on the Mainland though.
    Grey Kiwi and Stumpy88 like this.
    Happy Jack.

Welcome stumpy.
    How is hunterville compared to Crieff ;-)?

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy88 View Post
    Lastly is there some where that legislation on all things hunting is easily available as I sometimes find it hard to understand from the actual written up laws, as a keeper in the uk we were heavily regulated on almost everything we did but there still seems to be things I can do here but not at home or things I can do at home but not here would rather be clued up on everything before I make a start out there.
    Many thanks for your time.
    Unfortunately there isn't one go-to place to find all the info you need, but here is a couple of suggestions;
    Get familiar with the Dept Of Conservation website Hunting section. It is not "legislation on all things hunting" per se, however it has a bit of information that will be useful to you as hunter new to NZ.
    There is some info on the FSA website under the search 'hunting'
    Of course, this site will be very helpful to ask questions and get pointed in the right direction, but like all things internet, don't take advice from here as gospel without double checking it. Its a good place to start though.

First, welcome. 2nd don't believe a word of that "Mainland" stuff.

In terms of laws etc I suggest the absolute most important to start with is our firearms legislation. Safety in everything. Doubt that will be a surprise. You can do a lot more a lot more easily than in the UK but still need to know the score. Next, private vs public land and access to same. Some rules, Private land you must get permission. Public land you must get permit. The permit application process will clue you in to no-access areas, limited and special access conditions and general access rules. Pay attention especially to dog registration and compulsory training requirements etc, not shooting at all during darkness hours (no legal lamping for Joe Public on public land.), shooting restrictions re roads and tracks and huts etc, carriage of firearms and ammunition in vehicles is another big one.

Much of the firearms law is covered comprehensively in the process of acquiring your FAL. Other relevant law and regs are covered in the process of getting seasonal licenses (e.g. waterfowl, lead vs steel shot, regional bag limits etc). If in doubt as to something specific ask a local. If all else fails the guy in the shooting dept of your local store will point you in.

Finally, custom and etiquette can be as important as law. Not everyone agrees of course - there's a current thread on here re your best mates Spot-X that shows how widely views diverge. Get involved in your local NZDA Club or Pig Hunters or whatever is around and you will pick up the etiquette and customs pretty quick - or else lol
    Micky Duck and Arced like this.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

dogs not used on rabbits and hares as much as they be pain in arse if after other things..but dogs do get used on them,heck of lot of fun in mackenzie country if your dog stays in close n flushes for you...if they give chase...will have no skin left on paws in no time and the shear numbers mean multiple animals galore and confusion reining supreme.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy88 View Post
    Hello all,
    I've been in NZ for a year now having left the uk where I was working as a pheasant keeper, I have so far loved my time here in nz and how accessible hunting is and the attitudes of nz hunters. smash karts
    Hello, New Zealand is a great place for hunting. I wish I can come here one time.

Hey

Whereabouts were you a keeper in the UK? Regarding firearms, the laws in the UK are much more stringent than here. Hare coursing was still just about legal in Ireland last I heard.