Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree173Likes

Thread: Hello, and any tips to gain bush confidence?

Banned
    If the OP takes his sleeping bag and a cover / fly just sleep where you finish in the evening and walk out in the morn
    Trout, Bol Tackshin and RV1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    I'll add another rule: Always take a headlamp or torch, even if you are just ducking out for a quick morning hunt.
    yes I auto assumed he would take one - the torches now have really changed my hunting - back in seventies eighties we avoided dark like the plaque - now with a couple of LED Lensers one head lamp one hand held no hesitation to come out several hours after dark ( known route of course ) I have always liked that bit attributed to Daniel Boone I AINT NEVER BEEN LOST BUT I BEEN DAMN CONFUSED
    Micky Duck likes this.

I suggest getting to know one particular area well rather than going to lots of different locations to hunt. As you become familiar with one piece of ground, push a little further. Work on your spacial awareness by taking in your surroundings from all perspectives. Look back every now and again at where you have come from otherwise when you turn around to go home everything will look different going the other way.

The trees wont harm you. They are benign. Its our minds that play the tricks. Stay calm in all situations. Don't rush.

Don't be afraid of being caught out for a night. In unfamiliar ground far better to be curled up safe but cold under a space blanket than blundering around in the dark and hurting yourself. I used to tell my boys that the night wont hurt them. "Its exactly the same as daytime except the air is a different colour" I would say.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

MB
    Agree about carrying a torch. This is what I carry when I don't intend to be out after dark. It's a Fenix E12 V2. Brightness and burn time are impressive and has a clip which attaches to a cap turning it in to a head torch.

Watch the utube link posted earlier and subscribe to Shays patron.
    The guy is a true bushman and speaks in an easy manner without ego or fanfare.
    Moa Hunter, paremata and Ned like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Watch the 5-10 day weather forcasts.Big highs coming over from auz.make it easy to plan your hunting in good weather.They let you know that any rivers,streams you going to cross wont be rising quickly on you.Stops you making dodgy decisions in crossing them.
    Tahr and techno retard like this.

MB
    Just a thought on streams as navigation aids. Up here, some streams which appear on maps are non-existent or just a bit of boggy bush. Others aren't marked at all. We don't have many proper rivers passing through DOC land, so it can get quite confusing.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Watch the utube link posted earlier and subscribe to Shays patron.
    The guy is a true bushman and speaks in an easy manner without ego or fanfare.
    I am going to subscibe myself, never too old to learn more. I shoot plenty of deer, but I probably have only 10 -15% of Shays bush hunting skill set. He is a machine
    veitnamcam and paremata like this.

Ned
    Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    I am going to subscibe myself, never too old to learn more. I shoot plenty of deer, but I probably have only 10 -15% of Shays bush hunting skill set. He is a machine
    Yep I subscribed a while back. For the same coin as a hunting magazine, I get a lot more out of it. He seems to put a lot of effort in to researching the topic and sharing the knowledge.
    He'd make an awesome teacher I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ned View Post
    Yep I subscribed a while back. For the same coin as a hunting magazine, I get a lot more out of it. He seems to put a lot of effort in to researching the topic and sharing the knowledge.
    He'd make an awesome teacher I reckon.
    I like his gentle disposition and understated humbleness.

Such a contrast to the cult hero Josh and his macho bullshit with his kids. I like the hunting and outdoors aspects but the rest makes my skin crawl.
    veitnamcam and RV1 like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

One thing I'll add it that the majority of deaths in the bush come from drownings, respect the water and be prepared to wait for river levels to go down.

And always use a decent wading stick when crossing water.

There is a tale of a guy that slipped when crossing a river and his knee connected with a rock. What looked like a tiny nick just below his kneecap was actually a severed tendon. Game over, unless you have a PLB or get lucky and someone from Land SAR happens upon you.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    I like his gentle disposition and understated humbleness.

Such a contrast to the cult hero Josh and his macho bullshit with his kids. I like the hunting and outdoors aspects but the rest makes my skin crawl.
    Josh has wide appeal and a large following because he is not just about hunting - he is actually all about entertainment and a certain type of humor to keep it interesting. A similar style of self deprecating and mocking, urine extracting humour as Russel Brand has perhaps, but mixed with cooking, gardening, fishing, kids, dogs and home life creating a broad interest base.
    No where near the hunting skill set that Shae has but more viewers. Regardless, he has some clever tricks to share
    paremata and Ned like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    One thing I'll add it that the majority of deaths in the bush come from drownings, respect the water and be prepared to wait for river levels to go down.
    I am surprised that there are not more, based on the terrible spots to cross example we see people on youtube and TV making crossings

A walking stick will save your knees for later on in life. Downhills are a bitch.
    Moa Hunter and RV1 like this.