Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: I wing gutting an animal every time

I wing gutting an animal every time

Hullo!

New to the forum.
    I wonder if anyone can help; i never seem to get the rectum out of the body with the rest of the guts when i am gutting a deer (usually red/fallow).
    Someone mentioned that sawing the pelvis can help but i am yet to try.

I only get out 1-3 times a year for deer so its about long enough for me to forget and make it up again when i am back the next year.
    Generally i try put the knife in around the bottom of the rib cadge and then try empty out the whole guts in one sack.
    Also i seem to always ruin the fillet - either by accidentally cutting the bladder or by digging around with knife trying to gut.

At least no one is around when i'm embarrassing myself.
    JessicaChen and Steelo like this.

Gone but not forgotten
    You need to cut around the rectum etc from the outside before pulling the guts out. That was my job at the meatworks during varsity holidays, doing 1085 sheep per shift!
    You need a knife four inches or so long, and cut deep right around the cavity in the pelvis. Basically stab the knife all the way in (carefully!) and cut your way right around.

The other option is when pulling the guts out, strip the intestines between two fingers (pushing the contents further down the intestines), then cut through it and take the rectum etc out separately.

MB
    If you're really struggling, you can cable tie the rectum in two places (from the inside) and cut the rectum between the two cable ties. This ensures no leakage of nasty stuff in to the gut cavity. Rectum and anus can then be dealt with later on. No doubt, there are more elegant ways of doing it, but it's a cheap insurance policy.
    Pengy, 308, Moa Hunter and 5 others like this.

Or just take the four legs off and the back steaks and don't worry about gutting. You easily have most of the available meat anyway and a much cleaner process.

Unless you are after every little scrap of meat.
    Last edited by Allizdog; 20-05-2022 at 04:49 PM.
    Trout, MB and frape787 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    If you're really struggling, you can cable tie the rectum in two places (from the inside) and cut the rectum between the two cable ties. This ensures no leakage of nasty stuff in to the gut cavity. Rectum and anus can then be dealt with later on. No doubt, there are more elegant ways of doing it, but it's a cheap insurance policy.
    Also means you don't get blood and goo down the back of your undies if you carry the whole thing out.
    Any day without blood in your undies is a good one imo
    frape787 likes this.

knife in bottom of ribcage????? MOST people slit from udder/ballsack up to sternum,keep tip of blade between fingers with cutty side upwards so no chance of cutting the guts,easiest dont by cutting skin back a bit then going second cut through just the meaty bit. if you do it quickly after death much easier as gut hasnt started to blow up with gas.... poke blade in between bum and tail then cut around the pooh tube and girly bits if its female,right the way around.... helps if animal is arse up when doing this cut,and pulling it out from inside,then animal arse down so gut pulls out of diaphram ,thats when you run knife around ribs,or just cat enough of it so you can pull the pips,lungs n heart out....
    rugerman, Moa Hunter and frape787 like this.

Im like you and ive struggled with the butt cuts, and ending up puncturing the bladder f*cking up the butt cut. So What I do is that I tie twine around the intestine as close to the exit as possible (from the body cavity) two times close together, and then cut between the two knots.
    Like what MD says with the cable ties. I find this way so much easier.

Ive had tenderloins from animals that have had bladder punctured, just give them a quick rinse upon removal ASAP. At home I dunked them in vinegar real quick, patted down, and allowed to dry in fridge for a couple of days. Turned out fine.
    keengunNic and frape787 like this.

Cut around the bung hole and free it all up . Helps to pull bit thru to check. Then get beast up off ground so around your knee. Bend over cutting from tip of rib cage and take the whole beely flap out.[down arounfd the aitch bone]You have a clean hole. Sever the guts from the lungs etc. Pull guts out then run knife up inside rib cage and reach up to windpipe. Cut across and pull all out. Then is a dude Pete Ainisy in the venison era who do that in 11 seconds. Peter Harker in his book says his nickname was Dracula. Look at HUNTING AOTEAROA with the episode up the Motu with Milton Kiri . He demonstrates the culler gutting technique.
    CBH Australia and frape787 like this.

Ive done quite a few in my time and I still stuff it up some times. On the bottom side of the bum there is a "V" bone that I cut down into on each side and that gives you plenty of room and a surface to follow with your knife for the circular cut.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Thank you, i'll check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Allizdog View Post
    Or just take the four legs off and the back steaks and don't worry about gutting. You easily have most of the available meat anyway and a much cleaner process.

Unless you are after every little scrap of meat.
    I like this. Working smarter not harder

Sharp knife makes it a lot easier

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Allizdog View Post
    That's the way I do it most of the time. To the OP, it's called the gutless method. Works well on any four legged animal from rabbits to stags. I don't often shoot animals large enough to worry about tenderloins, so tend to leave them behind. Having said that, we've enjoyed eating venison and baby goat ribs, so when the situation allows, I'll take those too.

after 50 years on this planet..45 of those have been spent with knife in hand gutting animals,started with possums to feed the dogs at VERY young age...I learnt something a month or two ago.....IF your shot could be a tad bad and MIGHT have hit gut bag....remove all the outer meat first,including the hind legs,THEN gut animal to get tenderloins and heart....that way if there is any smelly stuff it doesnt get into the crutch regeion and make hind quarters smell bit funky as can happen when gutting animal first.... really simple and logical when stop to think about it...but never have done so before...the whole carcass mentality from meat hunters was at fore when I learnt and never questioned the wisdom untill now.

there is another way to process animal which works well if a little time consuming. you start at brisket and ope nanimal up so all the meat stays on skin,basically only taking out the guts spine and rib cage plus pelvis...leaves you with four quarters and backsteaks on skin...if you gut it first you can leave flaps meat on there too. when you get it home can drape it over a rail and remove all the meat from skin..sort of skinning in reverse.... works well as can drape the whole deal over your shoulders to carry it out and meat stays mostly clean. you can get real fancy and remove leg bones too if really good.