Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Kapiti Newbie

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    Hi all, newbie to the forum.

Living on the Kapiti coast, new to the area but not to the outdoors. Mostly spend my time taking my son out for goat shoots. Time I got serious though and put the hard yards in for some venison. Shooting 6.5x55 and Mini 30 for my bush gun. Also shooting a 70lb compound bow but just on small game at the moment.

Cheers, Feral.
    Yeah Fuckin bonfire

Sent from my HUAWEI Y210-0100 using Tapatalk 2

Talking

Well I hit the hills for the first time in over a year this morning. Alarm clock at 3am, at the carpark by 3.45 and at my chosen area a 2 hour slog later. It was a brutal wee walk. I couldn't work out if it was humid or not. It was certainly warmish, and I had sweat coming from every part. My timings had worked out well and I broke of the main track to head up my chosen stream in the increasing light.

In a strange mix of moonlight and daybreak I saw a head and neck up on a slip to my right, peering down with youthful curiosity. Must have been a bit slower than me getting out of bed though. I contemplated a neck shot but thought better of it and secured my position behind a large rock in the stream bed while the young fella craned his neck. A few seconds well spent on my part... less so on his. He got to his feet and presented himself broadside. Unfortunately I couldn't tell what my first shot did to him initially. I was sure I hit him but he barely registered it. I let him take a few steps and hit him again. This time he leapt and began to lose his footing as he tried to make with haste off his favourite slip. And so it began - a graceless tumble down into the stream. I was able to see that my first shot had hit a little too far to the rear. Upon opening him up, it was plain as day that this had ruined the opportunity for full use of his meat. The second shot was close enough to where it should have been and had sent him tumbling with the loss of his shoulder and blood-pumper.

All in all it was a good return to the bush and a satisfying start to chasing venison. On the way out I met another newbie on his second hunt. He went in the night before but was not as lucky. Regardless, we walked out together and shot the sh*t, vowing to get in touch and hook up for a few more hunts. He was a good dude and it was good having company and sharing our developing knowledge.

Cheers, Feral.
    veitnamcam, Toby, kiwi39 and 2 others like this.

Good work Feral, got any pics?

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Good work Feral, got any pics?
    Yeah but not flash ones. Only had my cell phone camera with me.

Name:  rsz_imag0388 - Copy.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  75.3 KB
    Gibo likes this.