Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree142Likes

Thread: New Here got my licence this month Goat Problem

STC
    Heres an alternative pathway.

See if there is a local gun club, with nice people, go there, get shooting practice, join, help the gun club survive.

In return you will eventually be able to have good shot placement with the 22, AND any other rifle...

One market I personally know of for goat sales was a semi relative had goats on his property that had been transported to his place for weed control and put in a stainless steel bench, running water, water boiler and a offal hole....prospective clients of a certain ethnicity would come to his place and look over the pen of goats, select which ones they wanted and release the others, paid the man who then left them to it....quite a lucrative side line....sadly he doesn't do it anymore as he was killed in a road accident.

Welcome to the forum, there's no shortage of experience or advice and most of that comes from experience. I first started out with a .22 as well, but as its already been pointed out your shots have to be consistently accurate, use high velocity ammo, take your time, smack them in the head. I lost a few which became a real frustration because I thought the shot was good, spent a lot time bush bashing to dispatch a wounded animal. I bought a 223 and never looked back. If you are keen to try a 223 out before purchasing, drop me a message and I will help you out.

The humble ,22 is a great round to learn to shoot with, cheap, accurate and no recoil. A good round for a variety of pests. They are also a good caliber to fall back on if you develop a bad habit with a larger caliber rifle to iron that habit out again.

I have recently relocated from TK and when I was there on average fortnightly I'd take the 22 out and harvest a young nanny for a Sunday curry.

Good Luck
    rugerman and Micky Duck like this.

Banned
    My neighbour will collect and pay you for them,but not $80 I suspect
    timattalon and Micky Duck like this.

Banned
    I wouldnt shoot to waste, the goats in the photos are in great nick. Even selling headshot for petfood is better than waste.
    Rounded up / trapped they can be sold on TM alive. A mate sells pigs, lambs, chooks and ducks with buyers arriving in vans etc tying them up and taking them away, including a big ram that escaped inside the van and caused some erratic driving
    Micky Duck, RV1 and OPO like this.

If you can send them (alive) to Wainui Auckland, I'm keen I'll buy them.
    pm me if you are keen.

Sounds like its time for a forum hunt.
    On a side note .223 will kill much much better
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    My neighbour will collect and pay you for them,but not $80 I suspect
    That's the big ones, we had been averaging about $47 each so money for jam.
    Where does your mate travel from?
    If he's keen I am!

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck likes this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Quote Originally Posted by Snap 4T View Post
    If you can send them (alive) to Wainui Auckland, I'm keen I'll buy them.
    pm me if you are keen.
    Hmm, to be fair we were wanting to get rid of the billies as we have got a kiko meat buck to put over the nannys so not many people will take the bucks, that's why we send to the works!

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck likes this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

If you use a .22 up close, they will get wise pretty much immediately and you will not be able to get within shootingvrange. A .223 will sort that for you. This is an excellent example of a semi-auto centrefire being the correct tool for the job. Regrettably those days are behind us!

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    I wouldnt shoot to waste, the goats in the photos are in great nick. Even selling headshot for petfood is better than waste.
    Rounded up / trapped they can be sold on TM alive. A mate sells pigs, lambs, chooks and ducks with buyers arriving in vans etc tying them up and taking them away, including a big ram that escaped inside the van and caused some erratic driving
    Having seen how these animals end up at the end of their van ride I'd do them a favor and just shoot them to waste.
    Savage1, 7mmwsm, BRADS and 5 others like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Talk about a drool picture….. .22 in the head works. .223 works betterer. When doing goat control on a property a few years ago I’d shoot with .22 first when quiet n mobbed up then to bigger cal when further out. Was reasonably competent shooter by this stage though.

Potential opportunity to shoot for petfood, especially the handy ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Remember reading an article in a shooting mag quite a while back written buy a culler. He used to use a la 22mag for goats..
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Having seen how these animals end up at the end of their van ride I'd do them a favor and just shoot them to waste.
    I was about to post that same statement Ryan. Definite animal welfare issues with some buyers.
    Wounding with a 22 would probably be more humane in some cases.
    outlander likes this.
    Overkill is still dead.

Sounds like with the surrounding land you might be hard up against controlling them.
    A property, here in the Waikato, I helped knocked numbers down between us and the landowner over 700 were shot out of an area of about 300 hectares.
    It wasn't the fact there was really high numbers but it was surrounded by three properties that weren't being controlled. We shot 20, 15 more walked in the next day.
    We essentially were controlling several thousand surrounding hectares just to knock the numbers down on the property. It was successful though, I only rarely see the odd small mob on the boundaries now and they get quickly dealt to.

As others have said a .22lr will do it but more of a sneak up and pop one or two in the head for the pot type scenario rather than control.
    You're going to need more range and power. Dare I say it if you are serious about getting the numbers down you are also going to need more experience.
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.