Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree142Likes

Thread: New Here got my licence this month Goat Problem

To the OP,
    Good on you for asking the question, you’ll have a ball tidying them up with a centre fire.
    To echo the others, your friends advice is marginal. If you are new to shooting as it comes across in your post, then you would be well advised to get someone to point you in the right direction and come out with you a few times.

Flyblown wrote an excellent overview that you may well find helpful, just as relevant to your application.
    https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....control-71932/

Mustering to fund a more appropriate set up and plenty of ammunition is a really good suggestion.
    Micky Duck and OPO like this.

Coming from a farm he may well have a bit of experiance just didnt have a fal?

Quote Originally Posted by blip View Post
    Coming from a farm he may well have a bit of experiance just didnt have a fal?
    Then should be well aware of the limits of a rimfire and unlikely to seek advice online about it.
    outlander likes this.

Is he not allowed?

Grandfather shot heaps of goats off their farm in the waikato back in the day with a 22 single shot so it has been done before

Go grandad !
    outlander likes this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Welcome aboard Jakey. I am with Ryan Songhurst on your question. Tool up for an ethical result on the goats.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Welcome aboard Jakey. I am with Ryan Songhurst on your question. Tool up for an ethical result on the goats.
    yes am with these two good buggers on this - I culled for 5 years and ran goat control operations for 30 years - we never ever used .22 or .22 magnum for goat control and I don't believe any where in DOC were they used - private concerns may have - just to light and risk of wounding to high - not an ethical kill - the minimum we used was .222 - if you were after a couple for meat and got in close and head shot younger animals you likely get away with a .22 - you should be able to get some hunters close to you off here to give you a hand I would just ask

Barry...the NZFS issues .22lr at one point in time,suppressors too but HV ammunition so wasnt overly quiet...remember reading one of the culler/hunters telling of it in one of the many books......
    but having shot hundreds of goats with .22lr....mate and I used to do it for beer money,selling carcasses for a few dollars..... we learnt a few tricks... mustered into corner of paddock and held there by sheep dogs while they were head shot was most efficent way...but I have lost track of the amount of times Ive said to myself over the last 35 years...oh how much easier it would have been if Id had my nice accurate .223 to do the job back then.

one trick is to watch where mobe likes to escape to......
    then come back and get yourself in range and keep shooting the lead goat ,ofte nthey like to flee uphill..this can make shooting entire mob simple matter if yo ucan reload fast enough... yes we no longer have high capacity semis but you can make a fair old dent in population with 5-6 shot bolt action .223 without to much trouble.... hit in shoulder/chest the ywill scream a bit before die,but die they will, head neck is ideal but chest works too.
    with .22lr you may now struggle with half decent ammunition...power point had just come out when we were doing this and it was heaps better than other brands..now even that sadly has deteriated till its not so reliable anymore
    get a .223 the norincos are cheap enough and the ones Ive seen and handled shot very well.
    there are lots of better options out there too with detachable magazines which will be handy when dealing with mobs... take up offer from forum members to come and help and lean you rifle for the day..you will learn heaps and SHOULD be offered return hunt oppertunity... win win for both parties.
    good luck and welcome.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I started out culling goats (not for a living more just because i was asked to) with a 222 that worked well as I became more confident and consistant I moved to 22 hornet. Im not suggesting going culling with a 22lr but saying that it has been done. The times Ive shot them myself with 22lr were when thats what i was carrying at the time. If components were more available id probably use the grendel more. What ever you decide to use use it within its limitations.
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Barry...the NZFS issues .22lr at one point in time,suppressors too but HV ammunition so wasnt overly quiet...remember reading one of the culler/hunters telling of it in one of the many books......
    but having shot hundreds of goats with .22lr....mate and I used to do it for beer money,selling carcasses for a few dollars..... we learnt a few tricks... mustered into corner of paddock and held there by sheep dogs while they were head shot was most efficent way...but I have lost track of the amount of times Ive said to myself over the last 35 years...oh how much easier it would have been if Id had my nice accurate .223 to do the job back then.

one trick is to watch where mobe likes to escape to......
    then come back and get yourself in range and keep shooting the lead goat ,ofte nthey like to flee uphill..this can make shooting entire mob simple matter if yo ucan reload fast enough... yes we no longer have high capacity semis but you can make a fair old dent in population with 5-6 shot bolt action .223 without to much trouble.... hit in shoulder/chest the ywill scream a bit before die,but die they will, head neck is ideal but chest works too.
    with .22lr you may now struggle with half decent ammunition...power point had just come out when we were doing this and it was heaps better than other brands..now even that sadly has deteriated till its not so reliable anymore
    get a .223 the norincos are cheap enough and the ones Ive seen and handled shot very well.
    there are lots of better options out there too with detachable magazines which will be handy when dealing with mobs... take up offer from forum members to come and help and lean you rifle for the day..you will learn heaps and SHOULD be offered return hunt oppertunity... win win for both parties.
    good luck and welcome.
    Winchester Super Speed was my favourite. Would have shot thousands of goats with it. Hundred plus a day wasn't uncommon. I wouldn't recommend a 22 for someone who hasn't done a lot of shooting/hunting though.
    Not a lot different to using certain little centerfires on Red stags.
    Moa Hunter, Micky Duck and blip like this.
    Overkill is still dead.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Winchester Super Speed was my favourite. Would have shot thousands of goats with it. Hundred plus a day wasn't uncommon. I wouldn't recommend a 22 for someone who hasn't done a lot of shooting/hunting though.
    Not a lot different to using certain little centerfires on Red stags.
    I liked fiocchi super speed, the Italian stuff, still have a few thou.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

one of my norincos preferred the superspeed and hated powerpoint..the other was other way around.... feeding with power point was at times problimatic as blunt front would catch....
    but when was shooting goats with my mate..he had bolt action with tiny wee narrow view scope and I was still using open sights (single shot too!!)and was amazed at how well he shot.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Welcome to the forum, you've done well in filling 3 pages in 24 hours. Looking at the majority of your land is not ideal .22 country, definitely centrefire. You live close to a very good market for goat meat, will say no more.

OPO
    i believe wilson hellaby in auckland need 1000 goats a week for the supermarkets up there - they pay good money too (most of 6 dollars + gst) . there could be a couple of thousand dollars in those photos...
    Moa Hunter and Fat belly Dog like this.