Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Rebirth of Dougie

Rebirth of Dougie

Hey team,

I thought maybe I should re-introduce myself because I have been away so long It's nearly been two years since I joined!!

So, how am I getting on? Well I am a hell of a lot closer to my first public land deer, but still no blood on Black Beauty. In all truthfulness I have become a little frightened of her and need to get down to the range again soon to get some time in. I would like to produce a couple new loads as I have had some pretty scary moments with safety catch failure, jams and misfires. Not quite sure what has been going on but I've gotten a new trigger and safety built but have yet to try out a load that a few key players helped me make up (Cheers Abe and DAF you guys are stars!)

I took her out for a blast up at my local goat spot but had some loading issues so she was left back at base and given a bloody good clean and check over when I got home. She's been safety locked up since. A real shame as it's an awesome rifle, I just need to get my confidence back up with her.

A while back I did a review on a Savage Trophy Hunter 223 and loved it so much I managed to purchase it for a bit of pocket money. It's been great for the close up scrubby crap as it's small and light. Nothing overly amazing shot with it yet either although I'd be confident to pull the trigger on a deer with it. It's slayed multiple goats at varying distances up to about 220 yards in good conditions.

--

I've sort of dropped my commitment with NZ Blokes. They are doing really well but sort of travelling towards a different goal to me.

I've written a fair few articles for NZO Magazine now, I think I've been working for them over six months now. I'm really enjoying the challenge of new hunts and places the guys have put me on to. I am getting pretty fit now and the hills are always calling. I'm constantly working on my fitness as I have another big goal that is seeming not too far off now - going to the boys (and girls) in blue and have already been waiting to be called up for a good 12 months now. Here's hoping. I'm working in a job that is heavily supporting my future career. It's very full on though and soaks up a lot of energy. Luckily, heading out for a hunt pretty much weekly now is what is keeping me healthy and sane!

--

Dog is doing great, he is full on tracking now and coming along nicely. We are able to consistently tackle soft tracks with 90degree turns and some lower-level hard surface tracks with a short time delay. He's nearly four now and has become an excellent judge of character. A whole lot of what I do every single day is supporting my journey to becoming a dog handler, which seems insane, because there is a very high likelihood that Jet will still be around when it comes time for me to foster puppies and the strict rules are that no other dog must exist at home. Still not sure what I'm going to do about that when our bond seems to grow with every challenge.

--

Hmm what else. Still haven't won the lotto.

Anyway I've been lurking but I guess I should make an effort to be a little more vocal! Very much still as keen as when I first started on here, just perhaps a little more wiser (and busier!)

Will be good to catch up with everyone soon

Dougie

Name:  triplets.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  191.2 KB

Name:  ANzAC jet.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  79.8 KB

Name:  copjet.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  77.7 KB

Name:  glassing1.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  155.8 KB
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Welcome back Dougie, glad to hear alls well.....'go girl'.......
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

ebf
    Did that middle goat die from a terminal case of hemeroids ?
    Maca49 and stumpy like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Good to see you back with us again Dougie been enjoying your articles since I started reading NZO a couple of months back not a bad magazine at all
    Dougie likes this.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Good to hear you are all ok and still happily out and about. No good if the guns not well. If its no good flick it and move on. May not be the popular opinion but that's where it's at.
    Once again good to hear all is good with you !!
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Did that middle goat die from a terminal case of hemeroids ?
    Hahaha yeah that was a running shot through the hips...whoops. :p
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Well written Dougie. Good to see you popping back home here and catching up on the gossip. All the best with the career front. Don't give up your best mate (dog) for younger pups, you have time on your side

Geeze end goal AO in Tauranga!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Welcome back, shame about the issues with the forum rifle.
    Look forward to a report when you blood it
    Dougie likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

, good to hear dougie , nice choice for your new career , ... @ sako75 ... what dougie means , is if she wants to become a police dog handler , it may help if she fosters the new puppy recruits for the police , the person gets given the dog to bring up thru its first puppy months ... and as dougie pointed out , they have to go to a dogless home ...it would be a hard choice as I love my idiot dog and wouldn't do it ..... but my job and career is already set .... good luck dougie ... if the cops don't want you , the nz fire service is always looking for fit females to join .... 4 days on 4 days off .... no one wants to punch you .... people are happy you turn up ... and you get to keep your dog ..if want to know more just ask
    7mmsaum and Dougie like this.
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Geeze end goal AO in Tauranga!
    Hahahaha you cheeky shit, people keep saying "oh you'd have so much better experience as an AO" ummm sorry boys in black but I do all the charging documents for every PRN in wellington and some in Masterton and the Hutt too...can't get much better than that!

JBs (and some DC's!) come to me for advice
    Maca49 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    , good to hear dougie , nice choice for your new career , ... @ sako75 ... what dougie means , is if she wants to become a police dog handler , it may help if she fosters the new puppy recruits for the police , the person gets given the dog to bring up thru its first puppy months ... and as dougie pointed out , they have to go to a dogless home ...it would be a hard choice as I love my idiot dog and wouldn't do it ..... but my job and career is already set .... good luck dougie ... if the cops don't want you , the nz fire service is always looking for fit females to join .... 4 days on 4 days off .... no one wants to punch you .... people are happy you turn up ... and you get to keep your dog ..if want to know more just ask
    Yep buddy you're spot on, except that it doesn't help, it's a requirement to foster puppies before getting your first operational dog, which again is a puppy and you grow together. I'm realistically looking at five years minimum from now to be getting my first dog. Jet will be Just over 8 years old. Scary thought to think what I'll have to do. He's my mate and he's coming along so well with his tracking.

I looked at the fire service but have heard some pretty horrid stories from females in the service, so thanks but no thanks I wanted to be a cop from my early teens but just never believed in myself. When I started working for Customs when I was 18, I realised everyone in Uniform put their pants on one leg at a time, just like me. A quick change in contract after the quakes forced me into the full time green but looked how that turned out so here I am back chasing the original dream!

Thank you all so much for the well wishes - it's such a painfully long process and Wellington is renowned for being the worst recruitment centre in the country. Getting out every second week with Delta and of course working what seems to be nearly every waking hour is keeping the flame burning strong for me.
    gadgetman and stumpy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Welcome back, shame about the issues with the forum rifle.
    Look forward to a report when you blood it
    Looking forward to writing it, VC!!!!!

Hi Dougie so good to read of what you have been up to...best of luck with your new career...
    Dougie likes this.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    Hi Dougie so good to read of what you have been up to...best of luck with your new career...
    Thank you my dear - who is in the photo there? Beautiful pup.