Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Decent Point and Shoot camera

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    I'm on canon number 3.
    Nothing flash each time infact cheapies but the best point and shoot I've come across each time I was looking

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    I'm on canon number 3.
    Nothing flash each time infact cheapies but the best point and shoot I've come across each time I was looking
    Nice. This will be my first Canon and I am hoping it is as good as it reviews. My sister in law has a Leica V-Lux which is very nice, but the best i cold find one was around 700USD.

A large chain Wharehouse type store (Costco) has been selling a Panasonic Lumix DMC-Z19 for US$200 so I bought one on a whim last year. It is the same as the DMC-Z20 sans the GPS. They are both made in Japan with Lecia lens' and have outstanding optics from wide angle to 20x optical zoom.

My camera was fully submerged in the Clinton River while fishing in Fiordland National Park one warm day about 8 weeks ago. I turned it on and took a photo and thought "we'll &$@ me, this &$@er, is &$@ed ! It was water logged - no surprise there.

I took out the battery and SD card so the camera turned off in the on position with the lens open and extended and left the battery cover open - then clipped it to the side of my fishing bag for the rest of the day. It was warm with a nice breeze so I thought why not try and dry it out ?

The camera fully recovered in 48 hours and I have been using it since that day as if nothing happened.

I cannot say the same for my iPhone4 that did a full cycle through the washing machine last Sunday morning. Listen to the opening line of the song Sunday Morning Coming Down and you will understand the mishap with the phone !!
    Preview

Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm-- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves.

T.S. Eliot

Correction: The camera is a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS19, the model with the GPS is the DMC-ZS20

I had panasonic lumix like that. Drowned it 3 times, once in salt water. It did a year in the oz outback. Used on every hunting trip I did during that time. And it still battled away. I upgraded and gave it to my younger sister who still uses it. Amazing camera. I now have a 24x lumix which is great also.