Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Geotech and Drones

Geotech and Drones

I've just been out of reception on DOC land and a friend tried to use his Drone to have a look at the terrain before he headed out. He found his drone was restricted by its ability to fly more then 50m high and in any direction. It required him to enter his email address. He told me its Doc geotag limiting the drones' abilities.
    Any Geeks able to expand what is happening here ?

yep. you have to pay to film on public land.

yep, can't have you disturbing the wild life or filming cultural sensitive locations without a permit, even for recrational use.
    to be far I could get pissed off with drones flying over my head if I was hunting and ....... but thats ilegal.

https://www.doc.govt.nz/get-involved...nal-drone-use/

protect the local wildlife
    respect Māori cultural values by involving hapū and iwi
    let others enjoy the outdoors too
    consider people’s privacy
    prevent accidents and interference by following Civil Aviation Authority rules
    follow relevant policies and plans.

It's called geofencing, and is a feature built into DJI drones. DoC must have registered their land as a no drone zone.
    A330driver likes this.

But its not 'their land'. Its all of ours That's what 'Public' means. A concept they appear to have difficulty comprehending.

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    But its not 'their land'. Its all of ours That's what 'Public' means. A concept they appear to have difficulty comprehending.
    That doesn't mean you can do whatever the hell you like on it.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    Nothing is fair to a left leaning polly

Quote Originally Posted by Bol Tackshin View Post
    It's called geofencing, and is a feature built into DJI drones. DoC must have registered their land as a no drone zone.
    about plurry time this was brought in.....should be in a LOT more areas and be able to be done instantly when a firefighting operation in in progress...better still would be a hijack drone programme for use in that particular senario.... some dickwad puts it up(when all efforts have been made to say DONT fly in this area at moment) and it flies away all on its own to a waiting impound.....
    will.i.em likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

its a interesting topic, was down at the river, going for a training lap and there was a drone flying around the bridge,

It looked to be filming girls running across the bridge but it didn't follow them any further. was not interested in filming me tho

It's also very close to the Lido public pools and a couple of places where people swim in the river, couldn't see anyone around who looked like they were controlling it but I know they have a good range on them.

Need some anti-drone net shot shells
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

I guess I am expecting too much from people to just use them sensibly. Having a gander into a gorge you are about to pack swim through seems to be entirely sensible. Noseying around above the loos or changing rooms or your house ....a little less so. There's plenty of tech out there that can bring them down. Just costs a bit
    Micky Duck likes this.

I was really impressed with what he showed us what he had previewed on a previous trip. Was disappointed we couldn't use the technology to make a decision before we embarked on a long walk. Was a good result in the end though. Technology has its advantages both way's.

Quote Originally Posted by Bol Tackshin View Post
    DJI drones are what ?? are there drones one can operate over DOC land ?? just interested - if no how can they block all drones ???

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    DJI drones are what ?? are there drones one can operate over DOC land ?? just interested - if no how can they block all drones ???
    It's a regulatory thing. If a company wants to sell drones legitimately in NZ, they have to be able to put limits like that.

Here in East Auckland, there are height restrictions in certain places, so that drones don't get in the flight path of landing aircraft.

so how does it work exactly ??? what mechanisms are working - GPS on drone locked out for DOC land ??

A330driver likes this.