Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Photobucket ?

Just remember no cloud storage is totally secure - -everyone who used Megaupload to store their files and photos had them stolen by the FBI - -looks like no chance of ever getting them back

Be careful on Photobucket...i put a heap of photos on here, couple of weeks later i deleted those photos to make space, and they have all been deleted from this forum......SHIT
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Thats kinda the way it works scouser
    sako75 likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Thats kinda the way it works scouser
    DOH.....not too savy im afraid......at least i know now....
    sako75 likes this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

I have always been told data is not backed up unless it is stored in 3 separate locations.
    I think cloud storage plus an external hard drive cuts the mustard though.
    We're like Res and have a wireless external drive, it has already saved our bacon once.

Quote Originally Posted by Wetgumboot View Post
    Just remember no cloud storage is totally secure - -everyone who used Megaupload to store their files and photos had them stolen by the FBI - -looks like no chance of ever getting them back
    What you're saying is true to a degree, but there is a vast difference between Megaupload (which was predominantly used by people to shared pirated copies of films/TV/apps), and secure cloud hosting like OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox etc.

The real issue with cloud software like this is that you usually sign over ownership of your files when you upload them, if that's something that bothers you.

I'm a convert to Google photo now

Free, unlimited space, apps to auto upload, pretty idiot proof. (your mileage may vary)

Wired have some info:
    The Coolest Stuff You Didn't Know Google Photos Could Do | WIRED

Quote Originally Posted by Moutere View Post
    I have always been told data is not backed up unless it is stored in 3 separate locations.
    I think cloud storage plus an external hard drive cuts the mustard though.
    We're like Res and have a wireless external drive, it has already saved our bacon once.
    Cloud storage already has redundancy - if you upload a file to Dropbox etc, it's stored on multiple servers in separate locations. There's no need to store things on Dropbox and and external hard drive unless you want to have immediate access to it if your internet is down etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kscott View Post
    I'm a convert to Google photo now

Free, unlimited space, apps to auto upload, pretty idiot proof. (your mileage may vary)

Wired have some info:
    The Coolest Stuff You Didn't Know Google Photos Could Do | WIRED
    I'm a big fan of Flickr

I wouldnt use photobucket to store photos for my own use.

I just use it to load photos for sharing on the forum.
    I resize them to 800 pixels wide to reduce data requirements for viewers. I dont use jpeg compression. do this in GIMP which also removes GPS metadata if I ve left it on my camera inadvertently.
    I use short cryptic filenames.
    I assume that once someone has looked at one of my pics on photobucket they can browse around the others there (ie no privacy). I dont know if its always like that but at times i ve been able to see into othrrs' libraries.

Upload can take a couple of minutes even though my file sizes are usually only 300 MB. Perhaps this is to give opportunity to look at and listen to the loud animated adverts. At least its free.

I do worry about permanence. What happens if photobucket or i die ? Forums will develop a lot of gaps where pictures previously spoke thousands.

Remember also that cloud storage relies 100% on secure access to quality broad band internet access. I expect that will always be available ...

Note that if you rely on some sort of auto archiving / backup to a local hard drive you can accumulate many copies of the same or edited versions of your photos and the 4 additional almost identical shots you took at the same time. So early selective albumising of "keeper photos" is a good discipline.

Very good point about the metadata. A couple of years ago I posted some photos of rifles on a forum.
    Later, out of interest, I opened them on the forum and was horrified to find I could drill into the photo data right down to my address and then even do the street view of my house. SHITE!