Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck

Thread: Which point and shoot camera?

Which point and shoot camera?

Hi guys,

I realise this topic comes up often but in reading through previous threads I couldn’t find one that really answered my question. I also realise there is not a one size fits all option but I’m keen to gauge what people’s preference seems to be in general.

I currently have a Canon sx60 but I’ve always thought it had an issue and it really struggles to focus well and the images are not very sharp even with a tripod. From what I’ve read the canon’s arent well known for low light quality. I don’t expect images using a lot of zoom to be great quality but I’ve found closer images to be sub par also.

50-60x zoom is a must for me as I like to video my shots and obviously try to take photos from a distance.

So what do you guys recommend from the superzoom options that takes the best quality images?

Cheers,
    Jamie

well I was going to suggest something along lines of what you have got.....reading your post I suggest you need to have a decent tootoo with your settings.eg auto vs manual focus blah blah blah it makes big difference. hell if a technical retard like myself can use one and capture half decent photos at range....it shouldnt be too hard for you.Name:  IMG_0752.JPG
Views: 298
Size:  3.43 MBover half a km away
    turtle likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    well I was going to suggest something along lines of what you have got.....reading your post I suggest you need to have a decent tootoo with your settings.eg auto vs manual focus blah blah blah it makes big difference. hell if a technical retard like myself can use one and capture half decent photos at range....it shouldnt be too hard for you.Attachment 215807over half a km away
    You promised to fix that water trough a long time ago lol

It’s a rock and a hard place. The super zoom cameras you’re talking about don’t have big enough sensors to capture enough light. They make photos look ok by cranking up the iso to compensate which creates poorer photo quality.

Something like the Sony rx10 has a bigger sensor but substantially less zoom probably around (25x).

If you really need the zoom you’re probably looking at the Nikon superzoom range as a good starting point.

Cheers

Nikon p1000

Quote Originally Posted by Larskramer View Post
    Nikon p1000
    Yep, it may only have a 1/2.3 sensor but it’s got a decent aperture and a shit load of zoom.

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    The weight is getting up there with the Nikon, which put me off. I feel I carry too much junk now
    Yea i know what you mean but you can’t have everything. Plenty of lighter super zoom options out there but they won’t have the zoom range and a f2.8 lens that the p1000 does

What tripod are you using? Any superzoom camera needs a solid support to get the best out of it - even a DSLR with a 500mm lens, which is only 10x zoom. The golden rule for photographers is - use the heaviest tripod your assistant can carry.

Ned
    Just get a mini drone and fly it over to your target?