Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Grantn
  • 1 Post By svt40
  • 2 Post By Shearer
  • 2 Post By jpurdon
  • 1 Post By Boxton

Thread: Thoughts on Panasonic Lumix TZ80?

Question Thoughts on Panasonic Lumix TZ80?

Anyone had experience with this camera and care to comment no use in the hills? Looking for a camera to capture my adventures so must be compact. This also has 30x zoom so would be useful for assessing animals. Any other recommendations in this price range? First camera so new to it all

https://www.harveynorman.co.nz/camer...MaAk4PEALw_wcB
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit ......... wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Worth paying a little more for the extra zoom capability if you are trying to use it for analysis ing animals. https://www.photowarehouse.co.nz/sho...4aAqiTEALw_wcB

Here's a a short video with FZ80. Lewis Pass Stag
    https://youtu.be/0oBv1WWYKTo
    jpurdon likes this.

No experience with that particular camera, but found this:
    https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4298033

Read through the whole page, nearer the bottom theres some sample images from forum members that suggest that in the right hands and right conditions you can get some surprisingly good results. I say surprisingly good, because the other thing you should know is that small sensor, compact cameras like the TZ80 do have to make some compromises, and i believe that while you'll get good results in good light, as soon as it gets a bit dim, say under forest canopy or close to dawn/dusk your image quality and contrast will drop right off. But the cameras that still excel in low light are also considerably more expensive / larger, so... compromises...
    jpurdon likes this.

I have had one for a few years now. Good little camera that takes good photos. My only gripe (which isn't the cameras fault) it that it is more complicated than I need. I have owned bigger zooms which are good but the increase in size isn't worth it for the majority of my uses. A few examples.
    Name:  P1030010.JPG
Views: 138
Size:  3.21 MB
    Young stag at 150m
    Name:  P1030241.JPG
Views: 130
Size:  8.37 MB
    Chamois at 425m just on dark. Low light is where these sorts of cameras show their limitations.
    Grantn and jpurdon like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Appreciate the words fellas. At the moment I don't do a huge amount of trophy hunting and want to use the camera for more than just that so will go with the more compact size TZ-80 and sacrifice some zoom/low light capabilities. Thanks for the help though
    Shearer and Grantn like this.
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit ......... wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

I use one
    Farking fantastic
    Pocket sized
    Great zoom
    Good resolution
    A little moisture sensitive
    And older style charging cable
    Otherwise I'd replace with the same if I had to
    jpurdon likes this.