Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By XR500
  • 2 Post By Hunteast
  • 1 Post By Gamehunter
  • 3 Post By Gamehunter

Thread: Trailcam taking unwanted pics

Trailcam taking unwanted pics

2 yrs ago I bought a trailcam online that worked great or so I thought.
    It has no brand except on the users manual it says HUNTING TRAIL CAMERA.
    It seemed to take a lot of pics but blamed wind movement.
    Set it up to capture 3 shots a time this year and remembered to display date and time on photos.
    In 5 weeks got 5631 pics. 98% of pics had nothing on them and no moveable stuff that could trigger the camera.
    The camera takes a series of 3 photos at 3-4mins to the hour then another 3 photos at the hour and sometimes does 3 groups of 3 in that time space.
    It repeats this 24hrs a day giving me 72 to 108 useless photos a day.

It was suggested that "time lapse" is on and causing this problem.

I have just tested the camera from midday until 9.15 tonight and it is just the same with "time lapse" off.

Takes 6 to 9 photos at each and every hour.

Any ideas what this old fart is doing wrong.

Watching with interest.

Have an expensive Uovision one with cell phone connectivity. Had it since new for 4 or so years and have NEVER managed to make it work properly. Does pretty much what you have described. Been told its in the settings, but buggered if the settings seem to make any difference. Least sensitivity, one picture only bla bla bla. still does just like you describe.

Old farts disease???
    ONYVA likes this.

I have had a few false activations over the years and still get them - having 6 trail cams - two different makes. Aside from possums, spiders on the lens, birds, stoats, windy days etc biggest thing to consider is what way the cam is facing and is it out in the open?? Best to face the cam pointing close to Nth - Sth if you find that right tree/post and inside the bush works best? Not West - East as the sun will activate the cam trigger but you can get away from this in the bush sometimes. Trail Cams are sensitive to sun/heat so even the ground 50 feet away with the sun on it will likely trigger some pics. Remember to recheck your sensitivety on the menu function before setting up. Most have 3 sensor levels - High (suits indoor environments with little external interference such as wind/sun)), Normal and Low are the main settings most people should use especially in cooler weather. Most of my cams are set to low sensor settings. Means not too sensitive to those tiny bugs etc but deer sized bodies will make it work just fine. Setting the trail cam in windy areas will always be hit and miss. I check my cams monthly if i can. Usually 100 to 800 triggers which is quite acceptable for deer purposes! Ridges and sheltered clearings work well for me in public land.

Thanks Hunteast. I am sure my camera has a fault with the time lapse feature as it has had this fault from day one but it was only when I set it so the time/date info showed on the photo that I realised it was taking photos on the hour, every hour.

Past 12months warranty now.

I have been testing it today, making sure time lapse is off and time setting is all zeros for start and finish. The result is the same.

On video only feature is working OK. Have not tried video/photo setting but will do that tomorrow.

I have just put it out in the workshop for the night on 3 photos but set on default. No idea what default does but it was suggested.

Been unbranded trail cam, guess hit and miss? I have been using Acorn and Browning over the years. A branded trail camera comes with a users manuel/instruction book in good english not re interpreted from my experience. So does sound like your circuit board inside the cam is dud? I looked at my instruction book for the Acorn and it says - Default Set - 'Press OK Enter to return all your previous settings back to the manufacturers default'. So when i brought my camera - guessing that it was likely set to the most basic functions?? Can't remember! And they are in the hills so can't check for you! Good luck.

Test done on default in workshop overnight gave my only 1 or 2 or 3 shots every hour.
    May have to use it on video only mode.

Camera only cost $140 from NZ online store but is a strong well designed case with easy opened hinged face with easy to see screen and switch unlike the Acorn ones I own.

Another feature I like is with a simple modification I can Tex screw it to a tree rather than use straps that are easily seen.

Agree that the Acorn switch is a pain to turn on and off, hence slowly moving towards more Browning models. A default setting back to manufactures wouldn't have a pic for every hr or so - i would have noted that i think when i set mine up. I was screwing mine into trees with an attachment but bloody possums in the South Island climb all over them and dislodge the cam angle. So back to using the strap!
    Name:  10pt_stag5 - Copy.JPG
Views: 446
Size:  353.6 KB
    Trout and Micky Duck like this.

I got success of sorts with camera set in workshop overnight.

Camera mode....photo
    Capture series....3
    Time lapse...........off
    Timer setting......on
    Timer time setting.....start 23.59
    ......end 00.10

Camera took only 2 sets of 3 photos between 23.59 and 00.10.

I've tried camera with Timer setting off and with Timer time setting on 00.00 and 00.00 but camera still captured 3 - 6 photos on each and every hour.

If I use the camera on last nights settings I can handle 6 unwanted photos a day better than 72 - 108 per day.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamehunter View Post
    I got success of sorts with camera set in workshop overnight.

Camera mode....photo
    Capture series....3
    Time lapse...........off
    Timer setting......on
    Timer time setting.....start 23.59
    ......end 00.10

Camera took only 2 sets of 3 photos between 23.59 and 00.10.

I've tried camera with Timer setting off and with Timer time setting on 00.00 and 00.00 but camera still captured 3 - 6 photos on each and every hour.

If I use the camera on last nights settings I can handle 6 unwanted photos a day better than 72 - 108 per day.
    I tried the same setting as above last night but with Timer setting on off. It took 96 photos overnight.

So that's no good.

MB
    Frustrating. You may have seen my threads about my trail camera not being able to take useful pictures at night. Everything else worked great. It's like banging your head against a brick wall. Cut your losses, bin it and buy something decent. It'll be better for your mental health.

I may have figured what I have done wrong. A couple of guys I know were told by the agent they buggered their trail cams by moving through off, test and on too quickly and not letting Tcams brain to open or shut before it has to open in another mode. The cameras brain gets out of sync.

I have re-read my cameras instruction book and you must switch up off the off position, then WAIT until TEST fully opens THEN go up to on position. The same rule applies when turning camera off.
    Wait until TEST fully opens before moving switch to OFF.

Switch must also in ON or OFF for at least 3 secs before moving back to TEST.

I was not doing that.

After owning Acorn cameras with stiff awkward switches, my no brand camera is a breeze so I would change switch positions in less than a secound.

MEN SHOULD READ INSTRUCTIONS AYE.
    Micky Duck, MB and Nakihunter like this.

Yeh but any decent electronics would have the user controls disabled til after full boot-up

Uovision is not a quality trail camera brand and if you have major issues with it support is out of China., Do yourself a favour and buy something that is reliable and has local NZ support. https://trailtech.nz

Bus driver
    Quote”MEN SHOULD READ INSTRUCTIONS AYE.

What type of man are you… instructions are always thrown out with the box and wrapping paper!!!

I have several of these … no real issues EXCEPT for bassturds stealing them!!!

GardePro E6 Trail Camera WiFi 32MP 1296P Game Camera with No Glow Night Vision Motion Activated Waterproof for Wildlife Deer Scouting Hunting or Property Security, Camo
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary