Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree14Likes
  • 9 Post By Crispy12120
  • 4 Post By Ranger 888
  • 1 Post By Stag

Thread: Red deer art

Red deer art

Hi team,

Sorry not sure if this is the right subforum.

As a side gig I do a bit of oil painting - in the past I've done quite a few fish but now that I'm getting into hunting, I thought I'd give painting a deer a go!

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether there might be a market for bespoke deer oil paintings? Or limited edition prints? I was thinking something along the lines of painting people's trophy deer based on photos where they weren't able to get the deer quick enough to a taxidermist.

I've done the below painting of a red deer and spent the morning getting prints/frames, if anyone has any views on any of the combinations that would be great! My Howa 1500 for scale. I've got plans for a fallow buck next.

Name:  Prints.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  1,005.5 KB
    Name:  413914421_1814044079016748_8710403178454464829_n.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  112.4 KB

Cheers!
    Chris
    Tahr, Trout, Micky Duck and 6 others like this.

I think if you going to paint wild deer with a mountain,bush back drop.Paint no more than a 16-18 pointer.Other wise you getting into farm size stags.A hunter with a good stag would be nice on the wall.Guess the wife would have a say in it.lols.

As Trout said. Too many points and they start looking phoney. A bit of background for context is good but obviously a lot more work. Frames can be a hard choice to make, different people have different tastes. Personally I tend to like stretched canvas over frame. Nice painting by the way.

I have a mate that started his painting career like this. He did African hunting scenes. Takes a image of the hunter and animal in a African backdrop and recreates the scene on canvas.
    Now just does animal in natural environments. Google Larry Norton in Zimbabwe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My daughter did a fine arts degree about 10yrs ago.I was the timber framer,canvas semi stretched over baton frame.Then she let the custermer do their own fancy frame as they chose or payed someone else to make their frameing up.

Or if you've got a few old LP records, and a lot of patience.....Name:  IMG_4808.JPG
Views: 110
Size:  1.85 MBName:  IMG_4809.JPG
Views: 110
Size:  1.83 MB

It’s a moody painting, well done looks great. To me a majestic animal like this sits best in a brown wood grain frame with a bit of gold edging.
    Trout likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    I think if you going to paint wild deer with a mountain,bush back drop.Paint no more than a 16-18 pointer.Other wise you getting into farm size stags.A hunter with a good stag would be nice on the wall.Guess the wife would have a say in it.lols.
    Thanks, Trout, much appreciated. Ideally I would be painting stags that I've shot myself or that other people have shot, but just to get started I found a nice wee reference photo of (no doubt) a farm stag! I'm working on convincing the wife on a good stag on the wall...

Quote Originally Posted by woods223 View Post
    As Trout said. Too many points and they start looking phoney. A bit of background for context is good but obviously a lot more work. Frames can be a hard choice to make, different people have different tastes. Personally I tend to like stretched canvas over frame. Nice painting by the way.
    Cheers mate! I'll keep that in mind - the thing about background for me is my lack of patience haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
    I have a mate that started his painting career like this. He did African hunting scenes. Takes a image of the hunter and animal in a African backdrop and recreates the scene on canvas.
    Now just does animal in natural environments. Google Larry Norton in Zimbabwe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Your friend is an incredible artist! I've got a long way to go before I can get to that stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    My daughter did a fine arts degree about 10yrs ago.I was the timber framer,canvas semi stretched over baton frame.Then she let the custermer do their own fancy frame as they chose or payed someone else to make their frameing up.
    Thanks mate, that might be the go-to after all - let people choose their frames.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 888 View Post
    Or if you've got a few old LP records, and a lot of patience.....Attachment 240960Attachment 240962
    That's awesome! The patience part is a bit hard to find for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Stag View Post
    It’s a moody painting, well done looks great. To me a majestic animal like this sits best in a brown wood grain frame with a bit of gold edging.
    Thanks Stag, that kind of frame would be beautiful!