Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 308 & 338 Edge, brake & suppressor comparison test

Great thread Kiwi....

Not wanting to throw a spanner in said works, but.... I have a Gunworks suppressor - works wonders on the 308... though we also must consider the fact that Gunworks suppressors also accomodate an internal muzzle brake... Do all other suppressors do this as well, if we're looking at the recoil vs sound.. just throwing it out there.. again, I think its great to have someone walk the walk in this subject...

Fulla
    for some reason i cant see the 308 video, but i did see the edge one.

Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    for some reason i cant see the 308 video, but i did see the edge one.
    Yep not sure what the story is there, here they are again hopefully it works again

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    I have heard it said & written heaps of times that suppressors reduce recoil heaps.....

From personal experience I though this was a little suss so I decided to have a play to see the difference.
    This isn't a hi-tech super accurate to the last decimal place tekkie type test, but all the same they are pretty conclusive

The first video is just the 308 Montana with & without the suppressor, I left the brake at home....
    Using Belmont remanufactured rounds not sure but they might be 130-150 grain projectiles.

I went back in the afternoon so took the brake with me this time.

Had to disturb another one of the locals earlier whilst testing the new Reloder 33 in the Edge

Here is a video of my Shorty 338 Edge, the 23.5" barrel still will push the 300s just over 2700

Interesting stuff

I think that Suppressors do reduce the physical recoil a little, they reduce the perceived recoil dramatically through noise reduction.

Some suppressors may be better than others at this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty Factory Trigger View Post
    Great thread Kiwi....

Not wanting to throw a spanner in said works, but.... I have a Gunworks suppressor - works wonders on the 308... though we also must consider the fact that Gunworks suppressors also accomodate an internal muzzle brake... Do all other suppressors do this as well, if we're looking at the recoil vs sound.. just throwing it out there.. again, I think its great to have someone walk the walk in this subject...
    Internal brake is a moot point, 3rd form physics will tell you recoil is a result of mass x velocity.
    Mass is projectile mass and gas mass from powder burn.
    A suppressor can slow VELOCITY of the gases by EXPANSION so LOWERING EXIT PRESSURE and reducing recoil to an extent,BUT all that gas still has to exit inline with the bullet! Energy can neither be created or destroyed only directed .

If it was possible (its not)to direct all gas out at 90 deg to the muzzel the only recoil would be as a result of the bullet(mass) being driven at X velocity

If you can direct that high pressure gas rearward it is going to start to counteract the mass of the projectile heading forward to an extent.
    Simple really

Finding the optimum angle/portsize/no of ports in a brake (to suit the chambering) is not so simple
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Internal brake is a moot point, 3rd form physics will tell you recoil is a result of mass x velocity.
    Mass is projectile mass and gas mass from powder burn.
    A suppressor can slow VELOCITY of the gases by EXPANSION so LOWERING EXIT PRESSURE and reducing recoil to an extent,BUT all that gas still has to exit inline with the bullet! Energy can neither be created or destroyed only directed .

If it was possible (its not)to direct all gas out at 90 deg to the muzzel the only recoil would be as a result of the bullet(mass) being driven at X velocity

If you can direct that high pressure gas rearward it is going to start to counteract the mass of the projectile heading forward to an extent.
    Simple really

Finding the optimum angle/portsize/no of ports in a brake (to suit the chambering) is not so simple
    Not just goodlooking
    199p likes this.
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    There is no two ways about it you need/have to have hearing protection with muzzle brakes, that & ground disturbance are their disadvantages.

Weight, size & massive recoil reduction, (with a great efficient brake) are their advantages.

I have tried using plugs years ago but they didn't work well enouigh for me unless I was out in the open with nothing around to bounce the noise back to me.

I use electronic earmuffs & recommend them to my clients.

They suck in the summer, not bad in the winter though

I'm not bagging suppressors here I'm just saying I don't think they reduce pyshical recoil any where near as much as people say they do.

All my little rifles have suppressors, 30-06imp down to .22 LR.

I think they have their limitations once you start to get into the magnum size cases.
    Now how are we suppossed to take the piss out of a common scense logical post like that?
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    Now how are we suppossed to take the piss out of a common scense logical post like that?
    Sorry to disappoint

Had my second session with the 338 and T3 brake yesdy.

Even more impressed now, it really is a pussy to shoot. As I thought, with a bit more use, I'm retaining the sight picture right through the shot now, point of impact on steel or misses in the shit behind or to the sides( this is at 1000yds ). Fargin awesome, put the fun factor with the big gun to the top of the class

Also made the classic earmuff cock up, fired the first round after lunch with no muffs on, Shiiit that hurt my left ear ached for about 2 hours after. Not recommended
    Last edited by redbang; 04-02-2013 at 08:38 PM.
    Smiddy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by redbang View Post
    Had my second session with the 338 and T3 brake yesdy.

Even more impressed now, it really is a pussy to shoot. As I thought, with a bit more use, I'm retaining the sight picture right through the shot now, point of impact on steel or misses in the shit behind or to the sides( this is at 1000yds ). Fargin awesome, put the fun factor with the big gun to the top of the class

Also made the classic earmuff cock up, fired the first round after lunch with no muffs on, Shiiit that hurt my left ear ached for about 2 hours after. Not recommended
    Thanks Red.

I always use plugs & muffs when buggering about at the range or smoking steel/rocks.

Makes it difficult to talk to people but better than ringing ears