Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree20Likes
  • 7 Post By MB
  • 2 Post By 6x47
  • 9 Post By MarkN
  • 2 Post By MarkN

Thread: Bloody good goat recipe!

MB

Bloody good goat recipe!

Just did this as we're getting a bit bored of crock pot goat.

Followed every step and used all the right ingredients (apart from reducing the crazy amount of chillies) and it was bloody good! Presenter is good value too. Used the shoulder from a big old nanny that I shot accidentally (got the angle wrong and bullet passed through the kid I was aiming for and took out the nanny too). I was a little brutal in removing silver skin and connective tissues, but it was worth it.

Interesting thing for me is that meat was more than acceptable in terms of texture with a relatively fast cooking process.

You're right about the chilli level- it'd level most Kiwis
    timattalon and MB like this.

Intriguing Recipe. Yes way too much Chilli for Kiwis, and I love Chilli.

As Chef, I can comment as follows:

I note that the "goat meat cut into bite size pieces", appears to have the skin on, and also looks as if it was blanched before it was cubed. De-hair a goat, lady-shave or singe like a pig?

I watched the video thru to keep a track of the timing - cooked in pot for 10 minutes then 15 minutes more, then 15 minutes baked in oven and lots of faffing around, I estimate 60 minutes cooking in total.

There was a lot of "take some sauce out and put back in later" and "add a little water" etc faffing. I guess a youtube video is not a video, if it's to the point and short.
    _____

If I may be so bold as to suggest a simpler way of cooking this, using goat or pig, or any meat that has a modicum of fat and or skin -

Take

500g (half a kilo or a three good handfuls) of meat - blanch - Put into boiling water for a minute, basically cooking the outside millimetre to remove any smell and such. Remove the meat and dice into walnut sized pieces.

In a pot or heavy pan, heat 3 tbsp oil, cook two onions (sliced) until the onions are translucent (3 minutes-ish).

Throw in the meat, 1 tsp curry powder, 3 cloves of chopped garlic, 1/2tsp ground black pepper and a stock cube (if used). If you want to use bay leaves and herbs, throw them in too.

Stir and cook until any juice is evaporated (10-20 minutes) and you have a "dry curry", take out the meat and reserve in a bowl.

In the same pot, add 1 can chopped tomatoes, chopped capsicums, maybe 1 chopped chilli, more to taste. And if you've got any other vegetables you may like, like a courgette, a carrot or a bit of cauliflower, chop and add a bit of that too.

Salt and pepper to taste. Should be a bit of juice in this, cook until the juice reduces a little and then return the meat to the pot.

Put the lid on and cook slowly for 30 mins, then take the lid off and allow any juice to evaporate, until the whole is relatively dry, with the sauce sticking to the meat somewhat.

Check for salt and pepper (we call this adjusting the seasoning)

Serve.

Cheers, gonna have to print that off and stick into the recipe folder thanks

Yeah MarkN did notice those skin, but I do `t think those was from pig, only goat skin and slowly boiled till it become tender. If you enjoy it then this must be good dish I am not chef, but like cooking, did several goats in Auckland, my experience is that feral goats does need more time to prepare and cook it into a nice meal if without outdoor cooking facility.
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkN View Post
    Intriguing Recipe. Yes way too much Chilli for Kiwis, and I love Chilli.

As Chef, I can comment as follows:

I note that the "goat meat cut into bite size pieces", appears to have the skin on, and also looks as if it was blanched before it was cubed. De-hair a goat, lady-shave or singe like a pig?

I watched the video thru to keep a track of the timing - cooked in pot for 10 minutes then 15 minutes more, then 15 minutes baked in oven and lots of faffing around, I estimate 60 minutes cooking in total.

There was a lot of "take some sauce out and put back in later" and "add a little water" etc faffing. I guess a youtube video is not a video, if it's to the point and short.
    _____

If I may be so bold as to suggest a simpler way of cooking this, using goat or pig, or any meat that has a modicum of fat and or skin -

Take

500g (half a kilo or a three good handfuls) of meat - blanch - Put into boiling water for a minute, basically cooking the outside millimetre to remove any smell and such. Remove the meat and dice into walnut sized pieces.

In a pot or heavy pan, heat 3 tbsp oil, cook two onions (sliced) until the onions are translucent (3 minutes-ish).

Throw in the meat, 1 tsp curry powder, 3 cloves of chopped garlic, 1/2tsp ground black pepper and a stock cube (if used). If you want to use bay leaves and herbs, throw them in too.

Stir and cook until any juice is evaporated (10-20 minutes) and you have a "dry curry", take out the meat and reserve in a bowl.

In the same pot, add 1 can chopped tomatoes, chopped capsicums, maybe 1 chopped chilli, more to taste. And if you've got any other vegetables you may like, like a courgette, a carrot or a bit of cauliflower, chop and add a bit of that too.

Salt and pepper to taste. Should be a bit of juice in this, cook until the juice reduces a little and then return the meat to the pot.

Put the lid on and cook slowly for 30 mins, then take the lid off and allow any juice to evaporate, until the whole is relatively dry, with the sauce sticking to the meat somewhat.

Check for salt and pepper (we call this adjusting the seasoning)

Serve.

All good. My thinking was to simplify the process too.

I watched a Malaysian goat recipe video and they scalded the goat as you would a pig. Except they poured the water over it as you do for a pig if you haven't got a bath to scald it in

Quote Originally Posted by Padox View Post
    It's no Rogan Josh but could be work a crack. Just need to get smoke pole in range of some goats...
    Every machine is a smoke machine,
    If you use it wrong enough.

MB
    @MarkN Something you may be able to help with please. I'm having trouble getting my head around cooking times/temperatures and game meat tenderness. The failsafe is low and slow in the crockpot. Although meat is fall off the bone, it is on the dry side and stringy. The alternative is hot and fast as in the case of duck breasts or backstraps which end up as little more than seared, but delicious and not suitable for tougher cuts. The danger zone seems to be medium cooking times and temperatures which is why I was impressed with the asun method I posted. Is this assessment correct? Would a pressure cooker be useful for cooking goat leg meat?

"Although meat is fall off the bone, it is on the dry side and stringy."

There is no safe answer

There's combination of things in my opinion. Think lamb, hogget, mutton, 12 yr old Ram. Any youngish meat will be more tender.

Ageing - as we know, if you age meat it will relax, and the connective tissue will begin to degrade. Longer is better, even if it begins to smell.

Game keepers in the past would hang stuff until it smelled on the outside and then cut those bits off and eat the inside. "Gamey" was a word for going off.

Chefs can tell by smell, if meat is, fresh, aged, about to turn, on the turn or has turned (bad).

When cooking whole cuts, a stringy result is probably because it was stringy or old before cooking. When cutting meat, whether is is carving a roast at the table, or cubing raw meat, make sure to cut across the grain. Cubed meat will be more edible than a whole joint in the crockpot.

Marinating can make difference, garlic, onion, red wine etc etc can tender something up, and stop it turning while it ages.

A trick we used to use for squid rings is to marinate the squid rings in mashed Kiwi fruit, for 30 minutes before washing, crumbing and then cooking them. I've heard that Pineapple works too. I used Kiwi fruit on some venison once, it was good, but if left too long in contact with the Kiwi fruit, it'll start to turn soft.

One of the more interesting meals I had in Burma, was Cow udder. When I smelt it before they cooked it, I told them it was bad, I'm a Chef I know! But they massaged it in salt for about 20 minutes and then bbq'd it over a wood fire, in cell phone sized chunks. Amazingly delicious, like fat belly pork, only with big nipples.

Oh and yes, a pressure cooker is good for making tough cuts edible.

For oven roasting, I use 180C° for normal cooking and roasting a small pork joint, 3 minutes-is, 170C° for longer will give amore tender and well cooked result. Chefs will fry a piece of fillet steak on both sides to brown it and then pop it in the oven to cook it further for 10 minutes, it should be rare.

Well done steak is travesty.
    Last edited by MarkN; 20-10-2022 at 04:00 PM.
    outdoorlad and MB like this.

MB
    Simplified asun method without the faffing.

1. Cook bite size pieces of goat meat mixed with flavours of choice (any dry herbs, spices or rubs) in a heavy pot on low heat for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.

2. Remove meat leaving liquid behind, place on baking tray and cook in oven for 10 minutes at 200 degrees.

3: This is optional if you like it saucy. Put meat in clean pan on hob with sautéd veggies and sauce of choice. Give it a mix and heat through for a few minutes.

I've just done this with a leg from the same older nanny. Can't claim it was super tender, but it was more than acceptable. Shoulder I used first time round was better in this respect. I did go to the effort of removing all silver skin, glands, fat and other connective tissues beforehand. Think this will be my go to goat recipe from now on, at least until I get around to trying Mark's recipe.

"3 minutes-is " should read "30 minutes-ish"

Sorry I'm old

MB's recipe looks good too