Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 5 Post By Barry the hunter
  • 2 Post By Dicko
  • 2 Post By Brad S

Thread: Farmers Markets, Organic Meat and Produce

Farmers Markets, Organic Meat and Produce

Hi all. Anyone know any good farmers markets and family owned stores in the Waikato that sell more organically grow meat, poultry and produce? Doc's told me to clean up my eating, go organic.

Try the butcher in Pokeno,in there a few days ago,good sausages and nice looking meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Three O'Three View Post
    Hi all. Anyone know any good farmers markets and family owned stores in the Waikato that sell more organically grow meat, poultry and produce? Doc's told me to clean up my eating, go organic.
    I would be getting a second opinion on benefits of organic from another Doctor - clean up eating -hmmmm sure that was not more about ditching the McDonalds and pies - is your Doctor a vegan or ardent new age vegetarian - cause organic that's strange advice based on what ???

organic is often twice the price of a similar product for a feel good factor only..... most small towns have a morning market,a tiny bit of internet surfing will unveil any near you...or ask someone with facebook to ask question...be flooded with replies.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

STC
    Organic (spray free) is definately not just a feel good factor.

You are what you eat. If you ever want to be healthy you will need to eat healthy. And no, eating healthy is not what some greenie vegans claim it is

Avoiding minuscule pesticide residues in meat , fruit and vegetables will not change your health status but will slim your wallet.

Your doc should have focused you on whole foods and avoiding highly refined ingredients and processed foods. Also likely eating less for most folks.

Having worked in the pesticide registration space for many years in nz and Aust. there is a 100x safety factor involved in setting MRL’s and pesticide use patterns and labels.

Farmers these days on the whole follow labels closely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by STC View Post
    Organic (spray free) is definately not just a feel good factor.
    No, but its definitely also quite misleading and mostly just a conventional marketing buzzword these days. There are a million bad unhealthy practices that are still allowed under 'organic' rules.

Go find and speak to some small operators that grow and raise veges and animals with their own hands, and buy direct from them. Start looking for alternatives instead of just patronising the big non-transparent corporates (i.e. almost anything on the conventional supermarket shelves, including 'organic' stuff)
    I no longer go to my local farmers market often, the vendors there tend to price their products with very wealthy people in mind. I found real food doesn't have to be quite that expensive if you look for the right people and buy direct. Its still more expensive though, and thats okay. For example, me and my friends buy 40L of real whole unpasteurized milk each week from a small local farmer (I know this is illegal), for $1.50/L. I bought a whole beef carcass from a local farmer the other day, got it processed by a small local butcher, and although its less convenient it was quite affordable in the big scheme of things, compared to buying retail cuts. (Way nicer meat too, shot in the field and hung for a couple weeks in the chiller)
    It takes more effort to learn about your food and find local unmolested sources. But its pretty rewarding and you'll make friends with some very good people. I'm learning how to raise my own food, and thats even more rewarding again
    I know many of the forum members are farmers and may scoff at my city-boy opinions
    XR500 and Barry the hunter like this.

milk direct from farm is legal..its for the cat!!!!! there are farm supply places for humans..one in Timaru another by elma on main road if memory serves me right.
    75/15/10 black powder matters