Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

Like Tree1310Likes

Thread: Getting back to living off the land.....

Good gracious.... it appears to have some fat on it !! I'm envious. The deer and pigs I get are generally fairly lean.
    bumblefoot likes this.

How are we all managing so far with this lock down?
    Well..... after my last comment and getting all ready to get set up for becoming mostly self sufficient I bloody burnt my leg rather badly at work and spent a couple of weeks feeling really awful and sore. Then iv just done 8 weeks solid of work and look set to continue on for another few weeks at least until level 2 so my plans have gone out the window and I have had to rely of the supermarket and takeout a lot! Hopefully work eases off soon and I can get the garden sorted and get back on track. Have to order some sausage casings and mix so we can get some meat in the freezer. We have a pretty big feral pig problem at the moment and I just cannot bring myself to buy what we can make.

We are eating quite well while confined to quarters. Calzone has become one of our favourites. Here is the recipe:

The dough uses a standard recipe that I use for everything.... pizzas, loaves, my style of naan. Our best calzone outers have been made using high-grade flour, but I often use standard flour for the flat bread etc.

I start with a water ratio of 100 mls of water per one metric cup of flour. This works out most of the time using cheap standard flour, but today the mixture was a bit wet and sticky using the high grade (strong) flour. So I added another handful or two of flour. Once I know how much flour is required (two cups will make four modest calzone) I put the corresponding amount of water into a pyrex measuring jug with a tiny pinch of sugar and give it a quick blat in the microwave to warm it a little. I then add granular instant yeast to the water and stir it in. (I use maybe 1/4 of a teaspoon to a full teaspoon of the yeast for each cup of flour... I use more yeast if I'm in a hurry).

While the yeast is beginning to fizz and foam in the warm water, I mix the dry ingredients in a bowl. Just flour and a pinch of salt. I like to use non-iodised salt where beneficial microorganisms are doing their thing (even though I will eventually kill them all in an oven).

When it looks like the yeast is definitely working, I tip it into the bowl on top of the flour. Before I mix in the liquid, I add a decent glug of olive oil (or any oil, but we buy Aussie olive oil in 3 litre cans). Initially I use a spoon to mix everything, but eventually I use my hands. I scrape the dough from the bowl and tip it on the bench top and knead it for ten minutes or so. I don't have a fancy kneading pattern (maybe I should) I just keep squashing it down, rolling it under my palm, and maybe folding it over on itself. I have a plastic dough scraper which I use to keep things together. I don't generally flour the bench. I tend to have a slightly wet, sticky dough most times (probably because I like moist naan bread) and it seems to have worked well. I often just use one hand so that the other hand remains clean for selecting new stuff to listen to on the iPad. I might listen to three decent Handel arias in one kneading session.

Once kneaded, I leave the dough ball to rise in the bowl I initially mixed it in. Doesn't matter if it has dough stuck to the sides. I cover the bowl, generally with a large wooden chopping board. I think you can use the dough after it has visibly risen to any degree, but in a warm room it might only need an hour and a half to double in size. Sometimes when I'm in a hurry to make pizza or naan, the dough gets used after a very short rise time.

I use a half-round plastic dough scraper to get the dough out of the bowl. I sprinkle flour over all the surfaces of the dough as I coax it out of the bowl. I roll it into a 'log' on the bench and cut it into portion sizes with my dough scraper.

Jackie has impressed upon me that I should not use a rolling pin to flatten the dough... and she seems to be right. So we just press it out flat with our hands, trying to ensure it doesn't get so thin that it might allow the contents to leak. While pressing it flat, it is best to lift and turn the dough often .... ensuring that enough flour is sprinkled on it to stop it sticking to the bench.

You can fill your calzone with whatever takes your fancy. We precook our onion slices, bacon and mushrooms. The crust cooks relatively quickly so you need to be sure that if the filling needs to be cooked properly for gastronomic or safety reasons... you should cook it before wrapping dough around it. Jackie cooks the onion, bacon and semi-dried chilli flakes together in a little oil... then when they are nearly cooked she adds the sliced mushrooms with a bit of water. When the mushrooms soften we add salt, pepper, oregano or basil, and a good squirt of tomato paste. You want the mix to be juicy but not too runny. The filling can be prepared at any time and can be used cold.

Cut some slices of cheese (we like mozzarella) and maybe grate some pecorino. Spoon some of the cooked mix on to one side of the dough sheet you've pressed flat, but keep it away from the edges. Lay some cheese on top of the mix. Lift the uncovered side of the dough and fold it over the mix... lining up the edges of the dough as best you can. Press down on the edges to weld them together. I like to lift the outer centimetre of the edge after this and fold it over again on itself... pressing my finger into it to form a pattern.

Carefully lift the filled calzone and place it on an oven tray. This is where you may regret having not used enough flour to stop it sticking to the bench. You might like to put a smear of tomato paste on top... or perhaps brush it with egg yolk or milk. Bake for maybe eight to fifteen minutes in a very hot oven.... depending on your oven and the thickness of the dough etc.

We keep a stock of Bakels instant active dried yeast. It comes in a big packet and theoretically you are meant to use it within just a few days of opening. However, we tip ours into a plastic jar and store it in the freezer. It seems to remain active until we use it all.... many months or even a year later.

I should add that if I am making naan (flatbread) dough, I don't knead it for a full ten minutes. I just ensure that everything is mixed well and then knead it for a minute or two in the bowl. I let it rise before pressing it down and dividing it into lumps to roll out into flatbreads which we cook in a frypan. Sometimes I think that fresh flatbread is my favourite form of bread.

Quote Originally Posted by Coote View Post
    We are eating quite well while confined to quarters. Calzone has become one of our favourites. Here is the recipe:

The dough uses a standard recipe that I use for everything.... pizzas, loaves, my style of naan. Our best calzone outers have been made using high-grade flour, but I often use standard flour for the flat bread etc.

I start with a water ratio of 100 mls of water per one metric cup of flour. This works out most of the time using cheap standard flour, but today the mixture was a bit wet and sticky using the high grade (strong) flour. So I added another handful or two of flour. Once I know how much flour is required (two cups will make four modest calzone) I put the corresponding amount of water into a pyrex measuring jug with a tiny pinch of sugar and give it a quick blat in the microwave to warm it a little. I then add granular instant yeast to the water and stir it in. (I use maybe 1/4 of a teaspoon to a full teaspoon of the yeast for each cup of flour... I use more yeast if I'm in a hurry).

While the yeast is beginning to fizz and foam in the warm water, I mix the dry ingredients in a bowl. Just flour and a pinch of salt. I like to use non-iodised salt where beneficial microorganisms are doing their thing (even though I will eventually kill them all in an oven).

When it looks like the yeast is definitely working, I tip it into the bowl on top of the flour. Before I mix in the liquid, I add a decent glug of olive oil (or any oil, but we buy Aussie olive oil in 3 litre cans). Initially I use a spoon to mix everything, but eventually I use my hands. I scrape the dough from the bowl and tip it on the bench top and knead it for ten minutes or so. I don't have a fancy kneading pattern (maybe I should) I just keep squashing it down, rolling it under my palm, and maybe folding it over on itself. I have a plastic dough scraper which I use to keep things together. I don't generally flour the bench. I tend to have a slightly wet, sticky dough most times (probably because I like moist naan bread) and it seems to have worked well. I often just use one hand so that the other hand remains clean for selecting new stuff to listen to on the iPad. I might listen to three decent Handel arias in one kneading session.

Once kneaded, I leave the dough ball to rise in the bowl I initially mixed it in. Doesn't matter if it has dough stuck to the sides. I cover the bowl, generally with a large wooden chopping board. I think you can use the dough after it has visibly risen to any degree, but in a warm room it might only need an hour and a half to double in size. Sometimes when I'm in a hurry to make pizza or naan, the dough gets used after a very short rise time.

I use a half-round plastic dough scraper to get the dough out of the bowl. I sprinkle flour over all the surfaces of the dough as I coax it out of the bowl. I roll it into a 'log' on the bench and cut it into portion sizes with my dough scraper.

Jackie has impressed upon me that I should not use a rolling pin to flatten the dough... and she seems to be right. So we just press it out flat with our hands, trying to ensure it doesn't get so thin that it might allow the contents to leak. While pressing it flat, it is best to lift and turn the dough often .... ensuring that enough flour is sprinkled on it to stop it sticking to the bench.

You can fill your calzone with whatever takes your fancy. We precook our onion slices, bacon and mushrooms. The crust cooks relatively quickly so you need to be sure that if the filling needs to be cooked properly for gastronomic or safety reasons... you should cook it before wrapping dough around it. Jackie cooks the onion, bacon and semi-dried chilli flakes together in a little oil... then when they are nearly cooked she adds the sliced mushrooms with a bit of water. When the mushrooms soften we add salt, pepper, oregano or basil, and a good squirt of tomato paste. You want the mix to be juicy but not too runny. The filling can be prepared at any time and can be used cold.

Cut some slices of cheese (we like mozzarella) and maybe grate some pecorino. Spoon some of the cooked mix on to one side of the dough sheet you've pressed flat, but keep it away from the edges. Lay some cheese on top of the mix. Lift the uncovered side of the dough and fold it over the mix... lining up the edges of the dough as best you can. Press down on the edges to weld them together. I like to lift the outer centimetre of the edge after this and fold it over again on itself... pressing my finger into it to form a pattern.

Carefully lift the filled calzone and place it on an oven tray. This is where you may regret having not used enough flour to stop it sticking to the bench. You might like to put a smear of tomato paste on top... or perhaps brush it with egg yolk or milk. Bake for maybe eight to fifteen minutes in a very hot oven.... depending on your oven and the thickness of the dough etc.

We keep a stock of Bakels instant active dried yeast. It comes in a big packet and theoretically you are meant to use it within just a few days of opening. However, we tip ours into a plastic jar and store it in the freezer. It seems to remain active until we use it all.... many months or even a year later.

I should add that if I am making naan (flatbread) dough, I don't knead it for a full ten minutes. I just ensure that everything is mixed well and then knead it for a minute or two in the bowl. I let it rise before pressing it down and dividing it into lumps to roll out into flatbreads which we cook in a frypan. Sometimes I think that fresh flatbread is my favourite form of bread.

This has made me so hungry! I was looking up a recipe similar to this today that used pulled beef or venison and it looked
    So good! I’ll be stealing your recipe and giving it a go when I have a quiet day.
    bumblefoot and Coote like this.

So what do they look like when you cut them open?

I wish I'd taken a picture. Imagine a pizza - with plenty of topping - folded over so that the topping is captured in the inside.

Here.... let Gennaro Contaldo show you how to make genuine calzone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AAUu2L6RQo&t=171s
    veitnamcam likes this.

Just beat the hawk from stealing my duck eggs again this morning. It was here by 6.50am. Stoked to get 8 eggs from 8 ducks. If you want consistent eggs you should look at ducks. They out-lay chooks, usually stop laying for a shorter period over winter, you don't need flash housing or high fences to keep them in, no mites to worry about. You only need a kid's clamshell paddling pool for a pond. and the water is an amazing nitrogenous fertiliser for green veges. Downsides? They can be noisy, they are messy, often the females are useless mum's. they eat about 1/2 as much again as chooks.

Name:  ducks.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  298.3 KB

Only good ducks are dead ducks,greys,mallards and paries.Sorry ducks and bumblefoot, yrs looked like familly pets being good layers.They are messy noisey buggers around the house thats for sure.
    Last edited by Trout; 26-08-2021 at 10:15 AM.

An elderly friend had ducks (pets) on her rural property. They were wandering to the neighbours place and making a mess. I offered to thin the population and shot quite a few. I was anticipating a lot of enjoyable meals, but the stuff I did eat did not taste good. I am very open-minded about food (for instance I eat possums which can be very good) and I'm generally interested to try all sorts of things provided I don't feel there is a contamination issue. So dunno what was wrong with those ducks. From memory I'd compare the experience to eating a rank bit of cat. I am now reluctant to eat any duck, but because some folks think they are good tucker I guess I should have another try.

Wondered why our egg count didn’t match our chook count anymore.
    We’ve been letting them out of their run to fossick in our flowerbeds etc.

Well last night the headcount of chooks returning to their run was one chook short.

We’ve got an outside ‘bush bath be the hedge ( oh no, it’s lpg heated, what will Jacinda say!?) and way under it was the missing chook in a place you couldn’t imagine.

Also there was 14 eggs!!

It will be Omelette City Arizona ( if you’ve watched The Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin you’ll know where I got that expression!)
    veitnamcam and Moa Hunter like this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Quote Originally Posted by bumblefoot View Post
    Just beat the hawk from stealing my duck eggs again this morning. It was here by 6.50am. Stoked to get 8 eggs from 8 ducks. If you want consistent eggs you should look at ducks. They out-lay chooks, usually stop laying for a shorter period over winter, you don't need flash housing or high fences to keep them in, no mites to worry about. You only need a kid's clamshell paddling pool for a pond. and the water is an amazing nitrogenous fertiliser for green veges. Downsides? They can be noisy, they are messy, often the females are useless mum's. they eat about 1/2 as much again as chooks.

Attachment 176258
    My parents used to raise ducks when I was a youngster, both for the eggs and meat and for sale. These days I only get to eat store bought duck, delicious but very pricey. The issue with duck eggs, as I remember, especially free range, is that, unlike hen eggs, they are much more likely to carry disease such as salmonella. Consequence of diet. So the eggs are never eaten other than well cooked. We ate them hard boiled or in cakes which they are superb for. Never as runny yolk breakfast eggs

Quote Originally Posted by bumblefoot View Post
    I'm about to upload a short video of a slow cooked leg off a billy that was at least 5-years old! After 3-hours in the crockpot it was super tender and when we tried it there was no gamey taste. I've been a butcher since I was 16 (58 now!) and I would never have thought that would be the case! It just goes to show how much of the "all billy goats are stinky/gamey is a load of tosh.

Having said that; it wasn't rutting; so had no "goaty" smell. also; when I skin them I always have 2 buckets of water beside me; 1 soapy and 1 fresh. I ALWAYS frequently wash hands when skinning them; especially my left hand that touches the skin and meat. It minimises the chances of transferring hair, dirt, smell to the meat
    I do a fair bit of goat shooting for meat in Taranaki. Billy's around October seem to be a couple of months past the rutting season and getting some condition back from spring growth. Last one my mate shot and ate was around 3 years and a big goat. I read somewhere ages ago that the very first thing you do after shooting it is whip its balls off with a sharp knife. Like, completely remove them. Even if you do nothing else before you get to field dress it. I've always followed that advice and had some great eating. This 3 yr old was fat and my mates first. He took it home and dined off it for weeks. Raved about it. Slightly gamey but entirely acceptable. For me I don't bother with the older ones, bigger horn spreads. But "spikers" I'm very happy to take for meat. They are however capable of breeding I think from around 8 mths. And their nuts are well developed by that stage. So get them off as fast as you can lol
    Moa Hunter and Coote like this.

I eat the drakes that I breed and they are lovely. The Buff Orpington ducks I raise are a dual purpose breed. They're not the heaviest meat breed or best layers, but are good meat and good layers. Re the salmonella in eggs: I think it's a bit overstated. Collecting them every day is a key and also rinsing them straight away as the dirty little duckers drop them anywhere. That's why the hawks find them easy to spot.