Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

Like Tree1306Likes

Thread: Getting back to living off the land.....

if you like them wee blue knives...well the mighty bacho will be right up your alley.never fails to amaze me just how good they are.
    rugerman likes this.

I've got a couple here Also sent a few to Cay Tall Stories to give to his boys. They're only $11.01 (incl GST) at George Henry at the moment.

https://www.georgehenry.co.nz/shop/C...n+Holster.html
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Greetings @bumblefoot, @Coote and all,
    I noted with interest the colour of the pegs used to secure the shrouds on the respective carcases and would like to pick your brains on the matter. I have noticed that my dearly beloved uses the same colour pegs for each laundry item, evidently believing that this aids drying. I on the other hand ensure that pegs are random perhaps for no other reason than contraryness. So bumblefoot and Coote perhaps you may like to share with us your opinion on the effacasy, or otherwise, of using odd or even coloured pegs in improving the flavour and tenderness of the hung carcase.
    Regards Grandpamac.

Well, @grandpamac, you have raised an idea worth investigating. It may well be that purple-peg meat tenderises in a shorter time than pink. I'd never contemplated that, and I am indebted to you for sparking me on to a new line of research. Could be a game-changer.

I generally go for random colours. The pegs inevitably break, or fly free in a big wind, and it is fun finding a variety of bits of plastic in the garden or shooting out from under a lawnmower.

But seriously folks, we now have some excellent pegs that promise to give long service. I bought the last lot from a New World supermarket.

Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coote View Post
    Well, @grandpamac, you have raised an idea worth investigating. It may well be that purple-peg meat tenderises in a shorter time than pink. I'd never contemplated that, and I am indebted to you for sparking me on to a new line of research. Could be a game-changer.

I generally go for random colours. The pegs inevitably break, or fly free in a big wind, and it is fun finding a variety of bits of plastic in the garden or shooting out from under a lawnmower.

But seriously folks, we now have some excellent pegs that promise to give long service. I bought the last lot from a New World supermarket.

Thank you for your wisdom @Coote,
    I had never considered that the colour of the pegs could also be a factor. As you say this adds a new rabbit hole (avenue of research) to consider.
    Many thanks Grandpamac.

Nice pegs!!! May even last more than one season.

New World you say? Thanks a bunch.

Oh, and I thought I was the only one that color coded pegs when protecting a carcass with sheets

If you don't find the pegs at your New World supermarket, you can Google 'stainless steel clothes pegs' and should find a convenient source. I like using pegs for holding targets on a backing board, and for keeping bags closed in the pantry. I've also got some holding shade cloth in place over my glasshouse.
    Micky Duck and XR500 like this.

Two wild goat legs in an oven bag ready to go in the oven later. Aged for a week in the fridge seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic, bunches of fresh mint and lots of olive oil.

Name:  goat.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  699.8 KB
    Micky Duck and Daithi like this.

Hmmm. Looks very good. Never thought of using mint that way, although I make a great mint sauce by reducing the brown sugar mix before adding the chopped mint to the thickened liquid.

I use mint in spuds at Christmas dinner.....or to keep flies off carcass but very seldom use it otherwise...a sprig or two in doorways helps to keep pesky flies away.

Thanks Micky.... you've got me wondering if mint might help deter crotch crickets...

"dirty womans fleas" ....yeah nah never had need to find out myself....might make you smell tad fresher all the same.

Having a living off the land kind of day today. Slow cooked venison neckchops are on the old Lady Kitchener fire place outside. Bit hot for cooking inside at the moment. Some of Lake Taupo's finest are in the smoker with some Kanuka being used as the smoking agent. This should keep me busy all day long.
    Name:  IMG_1479.JPG
Views: 295
Size:  140.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_1481.JPG
Views: 309
Size:  258.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_1482.JPG
Views: 309
Size:  100.2 KB

Very nice. Is that fat I see on a neck chop?