Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: How to age/prepare wild pork.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    It's not fascination, just science. By removing access to oxygen, the goods ( be they meat or fish) are spared much of the spoilage you normally get and clean meat once vac-packed can be left in the fridge for weeks. I currently have a large roasting dish of backsteak chunks sitting in the fridge and have asked my wife to put them in the freezer tomorrow as I'm off fishing. That 5-7 day total after shooting them def makes for more tender eating.

As all fishermen with vac packers will know, the rate of deterioration in the freezer is massively reduced. My wife discovered a buried pack of gurnard recently- was ten months old and still mint.

Vacuum packing fish (and meat) for freezing, 100%. I use the vacuum packer on a weekly basis. I wouldn't be without it. Vacuum pack to prevent freezer burn. I'm less convinced on vacuum packing for fridge storage. I like my meat, but especially fish stored dry. That said, I know wet aging for meat is a thing.

In practical terms, I dry age fish/meat in the fridge for 24-72 hours and if it's not eaten during this time, vacuum pack and freeze.
    Last edited by MB; 29-02-2024 at 08:58 AM.

A pig like this size, the best way to cook it into a delicious meal is roast it whole and you do `t need to worry about gamy smells, fire will take care it all. If you do `t have outdoor wood fire oven, then you can do it on open fire, but it take hours to go it done. Years ago, my coworkers in Italy, they got a pig, those poor guys were sitting there from morning till afternoon and finally they can have supper, not a sunny lunch as planned.

As you said you are not very familiar with culinary staffs or outdoor cooking, then we can make it simple, put them into cold water for an hour or more, get rid of those blood, and just boil it but you will need a big pot. Ginger and onions is the ingredient, put salt in 40 mins before it done, and eat with smashed garlic and whatever sauces you like. Good for you. I have `t eaten wild pig for quite a while, it `s really nice.
    kristopher likes this.
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

embalm the bloody meat in a bottle of whiskey /bottle of stout .leave for 3-5days ,then c remove it chuck it in the oven .didnt i tell ya ya get pissed eatin tea!
    BTWdoing my TF career one of our scenarios on our SNCOs course was to prepare and BBQ an elephant.now that takes some thinking outside the box!
    Barry the hunter likes this.

some good advice on here and some not so- wild pork is tricky and goes of quicker than the fat girl in the corner of the Gore pub - keep it dry and cool - it really should not need aging - if its a good eating pig it will be good - if it is a manky piece of skinny crap well it will eat like that and short of roasting really slowly sorry but not a lot you can do about it - marinating for day in fridge with kiwi fruit give that a try - vacuum packing I must admit have not done wild pork but the idea I find rather scary with wild pork and yet I am a huge fan with venison -its the fact that its not dry that worry's me - when we were out in scrub for months on end and no fridge most of the time just bought back legs home as within two days pork will have gone off even hung in shade - funny stuff to handle allright - must have a lot to do with fat content - so my two cents worth but I rate good wild pork the best wild meat out there - wild pork watercress spuds and dough boys - a feed fit for hunters -
    kristopher and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    some good advice on here and some not so- wild pork is tricky and goes of quicker than the fat girl in the corner of the Gore pub - keep it dry and cool - it really should not need aging - if its a good eating pig it will be good - if it is a manky piece of skinny crap well it will eat like that and short of roasting really slowly sorry but not a lot you can do about it - marinating for day in fridge with kiwi fruit give that a try - vacuum packing I must admit have not done wild pork but the idea I find rather scary with wild pork and yet I am a huge fan with venison -its the fact that its not dry that worry's me - when we were out in scrub for months on end and no fridge most of the time just bought back legs home as within two days pork will have gone off even hung in shade - funny stuff to handle allright - must have a lot to do with fat content - so my two cents worth but I rate good wild pork the best wild meat out there - wild pork watercress spuds and dough boys - a feed fit for hunters -
    We are talking about fresh meat here. Fat or lean meat does `t mater, and that `s why cook has became a profession for thousands of years, stated from the first mankind who found salt in the wild and he or she putted on the meat over the fire. Cooking is act
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

Last few weeks haven’t even bothered recovering any pigs that weren’t real handy to truck on hot days. About a month ago shot two nice pigs. Gutted both, hung one in shade and carried other one out to truck about 50 minutes away. Hung that one in shade, walked back to get other one and carried it out. By the time I got back to truck they were both going off. Fuck that for wasted time. Anyway, pig meat goes straight into chiller ASAP and if not eaten within 3-4 days it goes into freezer. I like game meat to go through rigorous but I trust pork about as much as chicken when it comes to storage.
    MB and Barry the hunter like this.

Fking spellcheck. Last sentence was meant to read rigor mortis.