Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Russian 22.
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 2 Post By 57jl
  • 3 Post By Mrs Beeman

Thread: Wild Pork Roast

Wild Pork Roast

Some pigs got in my way while deer stalking yesterday. One took a 243 round. Cut off the back wheels, front shoulders & loins (not a lot of fat). Im inexperienced with wild pork, do I treat it the same as domestic pork when roasting? Had a little test of loin damn it was good.

well when I cook pork I focus on juicy, tender meat and then use a heat gun for the crackle. It works for me. Normally I either get good crackle and dry meat or juicy but no crackle.
    JesseYoung and Eat Meater like this.

treat like domestic pork but slower and lower is better...always add apple sauce as condiment with roast pork...pureed baby food will do at a pinch,the barkers stuff is next level good but its too simple to cut up a few apples,microwave then till can mash to pulp.
    JesseYoung likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

57JL
    Put it in a camp oven with peeled green T-tree sticks or rosemary sticks or both on the bottom to keep the meat off the bottom of the camp oven, Make sure you dry the meat off with handy towels too much moisture will just steam it otherwise. keep on a low heat { I use a gas ring} or embers from a fire you will hear it sizzling if you put your ear close to the lid then put spuds kumara etc{make sure you dry them off as well} around the roast when the pork is about half cooked. you can put your greens on top of that as well about 20mins before you think the meat is cooked if you want.
    Moa Hunter and JesseYoung like this.

I always cook mine in an oven bag with apples, onion, kumara, prunes and a bottle of cider. Cook on about 150C for 3hrs (depending on size) then cut open the bag and brown under the grill until done to your liking.
    Trout, Moa Hunter and JesseYoung like this.