Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

NZGR Black Watch


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 61
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Rig (Lemon fish)

  1. #16
    Almost literate. veitnamcam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    16,595
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    Rig is now one of my Favs
    Wife does a great job of it - never crumbs fish though - tiny/little salt with white pepper direct onto fish - light flower coating with oil/butter 50/50
    VERY hot - gas on full blast - and with lid on pan
    Yep - she cooks steak with lid on too - bet that gets a reaction
    Secret to a good sear.
    Sarvo likes this.
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire

    Chicken Intolerant.

  2. #17
    R93
    R93 is offline
    Member R93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Westland NZ, PNG
    Posts
    11,841
    My weber family Q BBQ has turned me into a master steak cook

    It gets Farkin hot and I cook steak with lid down. Took a bit to get times right but everyone I have cooked steak for has made polite comments about my abilities whether it is beef or game you can't muck it up once you have your times right.


    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Munsey likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

  3. #18
    Member Sarvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Marlborough
    Posts
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Secret to a good sear.
    I still remeber the 1st time I saw wife cooking a steak with lid on
    Started screaming saying WTF are doing etc etc
    Soon learnt to shut up
    12 years on and in all honesty - I can think of maybe 2-3 tuff-ish steaks.
    Always perfect
    Steak also coated as with fish mention above.

    Fish like 1" rig is no more than 90/60 seconds - done
    veitnamcam likes this.

  4. #19
    Member Sarvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Marlborough
    Posts
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    My weber family Q BBQ has turned me into a master steak cook

    It gets Farkin hot and I cook steak with lid down. Took a bit to get times right but everyone I have cooked steak for has made polite comments about my abilities whether it is beef or game you can't muck it up once you have your times right.


    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Wow - you guys are surprising me - thought be sreams of "no lid on"
    Webber same - lid down - but for more guarantee of tenderness the sreaming - smoking hot frypan on the Gas at full revs is more reliable
    Ours is the baby webber but - still great and gives that littel extra flavour as you all know already :-)

  5. #20
    GSP Mad Munsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    4,998
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    Wow - you guys are surprising me - thought be sreams of "no lid on"
    Webber same - lid down - but for more guarantee of tenderness the sreaming - smoking hot frypan on the Gas at full revs is more reliable
    Ours is the baby webber but - still great and gives that littel extra flavour as you all know already :-)
    Used my baby Q last night . absolutely smoking hot , thick cut steak seared both sides lid down 2 mins max . Then into hot oven 200 for 6 mins .
    Sarvo likes this.
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

  6. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    southland
    Posts
    438
    i use one of those George forman grill.works great but you are a bad cook if you can balls up good homekill beef.

  7. #22
    By Popular Demand gimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Big H
    Posts
    7,213
    Goes well

    Name:  IMG_7501.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  822.3 KB

    Name:  IMG_7512.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  697.1 KB

  8. #23
    Member Sarvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Marlborough
    Posts
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    i use one of those George forman grill.works great but you are a bad cook if you can balls up good homekill beef.
    I have done some very tuff looking home kills
    Used to do home kills for butcher in Reporoa 30 years ago
    Got 20$ + hide

    Jesus - you should have seen some of the dairy farmers home meat consumtion = mostly the clog wearing brigade farmers I must add

    But - yes you are correct proper home kill should be primo melt in your mouth.

    But - I do remeber 1 time - walked into shop and Butch had the fry pan on and said "try this" it melted in our mouths.
    He said " you know that skinny dairy cow with the gammy leg that you did last week
    Last edited by Sarvo; 25-09-2017 at 09:57 PM.
    berg243 likes this.

  9. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    southland
    Posts
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    I have done some very tuff looking home kills
    Used to do home kills for butcher in Reporoa 30 years ago
    Got 20$ + hide

    Jesus - you should have seen some of the dairy farmers home meat consumtion = mostly the clog wearing brigade farmers I must add

    But - yes you are correct proper home kill should be primo melt in your mouth.

    But - I do remeber 1 time - walked into shop and Butch had the fry pan on and said "try this" it meted in our mouths.
    He said " you know that skinny dairy cow with the gammy leg that you did last week
    yep seen what some dairy cockies think is good meat wouldn't feed it to my dogs.i prefer those belted Galloway cross or if I don't have any of those I look out for a angus with some jersey in it very tender and I am not put off by the yellow tinge in the fat from the jersey.mind you my home kill is so tame you can pat them before you pull the trigger if you want.

  10. #25
    Member Sarvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Marlborough
    Posts
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    yep seen what some dairy cockies think is good meat wouldn't feed it to my dogs.i prefer those belted Galloway cross or if I don't have any of those I look out for a angus with some jersey in it very tender and I am not put off by the yellow tinge in the fat from the jersey.mind you my home kill is so tame you can pat them before you pull the trigger if you want.
    Your right on the button
    Jersey/Heroford or Jersey/Angus - best meat of all
    Yellow looking fat is the only negative.

    Anyone tried that Wagyu beef ??

  11. #26
    Almost literate. veitnamcam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    16,595
    I have an idea.
    I will supply @mikee some fresh rig he can prepare and cook then I can review the recipe
    gadgetman and deer243 like this.
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire

    Chicken Intolerant.

  12. #27
    R93
    R93 is offline
    Member R93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Westland NZ, PNG
    Posts
    11,841
    The family only kill Jersey/Hereford or Angus.
    Never had a bad beefy off the farm. Best farm meat I have eaten.


    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Sarvo likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

  13. #28
    R93
    R93 is offline
    Member R93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Westland NZ, PNG
    Posts
    11,841
    Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    When was that Pete? Gunna go to Haast for a fish when I get home. Keen? Weather dependent of course.

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

  14. #29
    Almost literate. veitnamcam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    16,595
    Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Looks good apart from the rod torture.
    Shootm likes this.
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire

    Chicken Intolerant.

  15. #30
    By Popular Demand gimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Big H
    Posts
    7,213
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    When was that Pete? Gunna go to Haast for a fish when I get home. Keen? Weather dependent of course.

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Got out for a fish on Sat, beautiful day. Yep would be keen, when are you back?

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Lemon Compilation
    By Ryan in forum Off topic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 20-04-2013, 11:01 AM
  2. my fish
    By mrs dundee in forum Fishing
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 13-11-2012, 06:30 AM
  3. My first few fish
    By seandundee in forum Fishing
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 20-06-2012, 10:20 PM
  4. New fish
    By memphis in forum Introductions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 26-05-2012, 10:00 PM
  5. When life throws you a lemon...
    By Pointer in forum The Magazine
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 21-05-2012, 09:27 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!