Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Venison shanks?

Ned
    Treat your kitchen to one of those pressure cooker crockpot things when on special. Larger one should fit shanks well. Venison shanks falling off the bone in 50min cooking time. Does take about another 15mins of heating up for browning and up to pressure. As others have said. Once you've had well cooked veni shanks you'll be hooked.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
    Slug, Russian 22. and RV1 like this.

MB
    We eat goat shanks up here, I think you'll enjoy the venison version!

Venison Shanks

INGREDIENTS
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    700 grams shanks (approx)
    knob of butter
    1 onion, finely chopped
    2 sticks celery, diced
    3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
    1 large carrot, peeled, sliced into discs
    300ml red wine
    2 cups good-quality beef stock
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    6 sprigs fresh thyme
    2 dried bay leaves
    sea salt and ground pepper
    2 tablespoons finely
    chopped parsley

METHOD
    Preheat the oven to 160 degrees celcius.
    Brown shanks on all sides on BBQ.
    Remove the shanks to a dish and set aside.
    Place a heavy-based casserole dish on the stove top on a low-medium and add the butter, onion and celery. Fry until the onions are soft and turning golden brown. Add the garlic, carrot and parsnip and fry for a further 2 minutes.*
    Add the shanks, red wine, beef stock, brown sugar, thyme, bay leaves and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer then cover and place in the oven for at 4 hours (or have temperature lower and cook longer). Check on it regularly to make sure it's not too dry*or catching on the bottom. If so, add 1/4* cup of water and stir.
    Once the meat is tender*and falling apart, remove the lid and let the liquid reduce for 30 minutes.*

Walking my rifle
    Whatever method you use to slow cook them, Please make sure to brown them 1st either on the pan, bbq, or fire. the mouth feel and flavour is way better
    dannyb likes this.
    If you can't kill it with bullets, dont f*ck with it.

The dog will appreciate it…gotta feed em something….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So under rated, back stakes so over rated. You don't know what you have been missing. The dogs will hate you that you have just discovered this.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug View Post
    So under rated, back stakes so over rated. You don't know what you have been missing. The dogs will hate you that you have just discovered this.
    Shanks are good for the dogs too…glycerine, marrow, tendons…all stuff that a dog needs, amongst other things.

Micky Duck likes this.

I’m in a phase of braising everything right now.
    Hard to stuff it up and epic flavour for the amount of effort you have to put in.
    Cheeks, hocks, short ribs, chuck and neck all come out awesome.
    7mmsaum, kukuwai, dannyb and 2 others like this.

My latest is the tongue, remove and wash, mix up a salty brine and put in the fridge. When I remember, pull it out and boil it up with onions. Me and dogs like it cold, they get the bits I don't want. Got the idea from some hunting book I read.
    Micky Duck and Ned like this.

I remember the hellabys tinned lambs tongues. Back in the 70s one was always in the pack as a treat.
    I'm convinced the world would be a better place if we all ate more offal. Except tripe.

A question for all the shank experts please: Is it straightforward to locate these bone "toothpicks" early in the shank preparation stage and remove them, rather than painfully discovering them at dinner ?
    Where in the shank meat are they found? Something like a diagram would be great as directions for being able to cut these out.
    I'm not sure I've noticed them in all the venison here. Perhaps they are only a hazard in some animals?

Name:  deer shank toothpicks.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  33.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Pulled some snags out of the freezer this morning and remembered I had kept the shanks from a couple of deer I shot a couple weeks back. I don't usually keep them and run them through the bandsaw for the dogs if it's from a deer shot on farm.
    Been meaning to try something with them. Don't have a slow cooker, could do something slow in the oven though. What say you?
    Sorry to rehash an old thread just wondering why you’d only give the shanks to the hounds if off a farm? Parasites and other nasties or possible 1080 residue in animal from a non fatal dose?

Just shot my first deer in bloody ages, had the 4 legged deer repeller with me for her very first deer but have not shared the spoils of the hunt with her yet as I am ultra paranoid about 1080 although the area itself hasn’t had a drop in years over the main ridge (5-8ks away) did about a year ago and I know how ridiculously toxic it is to pooches.
    As I seemingly spend most of my day trying to prevent her killing herself in a myriad of ways…eating solar garden lamps….swallowing bumble bees….I thought it would be slightly ironic to provide the means for her to off herself!

They can be excellent. Slow cooked. I like a Vindaloo paste.

I use a game rub sprinkled on the shanks, some cloves of garlic and oil drizzled over.
    place in an oven bag and tie it off .
    Turn oven on to about 100-120 degrees for the day.
    Pull apart with tongs and tip gravy over then lots of salt and pepper.
    Pretty simple but tender and tasty.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Save our Tahr. They belong in the southern alps.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    A question for all the shank experts please: Is it straightforward to locate these bone "toothpicks" early in the shank preparation stage and remove them, rather than painfully discovering them at dinner ?
    Where in the shank meat are they found? Something like a diagram would be great as directions for being able to cut these out.
    I'm not sure I've noticed them in all the venison here. Perhaps they are only a hazard in some animals?

Attachment 187680
    alongside the main leg bone....think tibia n fibia it will be parralel to main leg bone.
    75/15/10 black powder matters