Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Wood smoking goat

Suburbs of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
    Feta - ugh people eat that?
    Blue - love a good English Stilton Blue. Don't smell it. Eat it.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined."
    - (Patrick Henry, 3 J. Elliot, Debates in the Several State Conventions 45, 2d ed. Philadelphia, 1836)

Nothing wrong with goat just pick the right animal and treat it like lamb.

Used to eat a lot of it until moving to CNI, haven't yt found many on public land down here.

You name it we tried it as far as recipes and to be honest I think alot of it is used for curry because that tends to be the "go-to" for them.

Think a more mellow smoke would be better rather than hammering it long term though.

Ill be fair @timattalon not all blue cheeses are created equal.
    I remember the ones from the supermarket cheese platters. Exactly like you describe.
    Went to one of the Hunter valley wineries one day and tried theirs. Way better. I can actually eat it.
    Missus found a blue Brie other day. That's not too bad either.
    My fussy mate even liked it and hoovered a heap up

Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    Attachment 110253

Here's a weed smoking goat.

Help much?
    shit max-sure theres somethin you dont want us to know -check out the lips on the goat and the avatar.

Easy man, If you want to roast a rear leg, Shoot a nice young animal then treat it like a Lamb leg. Get it going over indirect heat on the weber at around 160 and just roast it till its done to medium. Basting never hurts but you don't have to do it.

If you want mega smoke flavours ,go low and slow roast the shoulders & Shanks. Get a dry rub going with whatever tastes good then baste every hour with something moist that compliments your rub. For lamb I baste with dripping using a tied rosemary stalk brush. For pork I like sweeter flavors so use a a spray with 2/3 apple juice 1/3 cider vinager.

Aim to cook at 110 for about 6 hours with the second half of that time in a baking paper or tinfoil wrap. Pull when its fork tender. Can eat like pulled pork or slice and serve
    timattalon likes this.

If you are happy to process them for dog tucker untill you find one that smells good when your cutting it up and keep that one nice and clean
    you will be on to a winner

jamie oliver was advertising wood fired pizza ovens a while back
    he made some damn good looking roasts in in

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Nothing wrong with goat just pick the right animal and treat it like lamb.

Used to eat a lot of it until moving to CNI, haven't yt found many on public land down here.

You name it we tried it as far as recipes and to be honest I think alot of it is used for curry because that tends to be the "go-to" for them.

Think a more mellow smoke would be better rather than hammering it long term though.
    Te kuiti isn't far from turangi. Plenty of goats around there.

I was going to try and use a softer wood than manuka.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    Easy man, If you want to roast a rear leg, Shoot a nice young animal then treat it like a Lamb leg. Get it going over indirect heat on the weber at around 160 and just roast it till its done to medium. Basting never hurts but you don't have to do it.

If you want mega smoke flavours ,go low and slow roast the shoulders & Shanks. Get a dry rub going with whatever tastes good then baste every hour with something moist that compliments your rub. For lamb I baste with dripping using a tied rosemary stalk brush. For pork I like sweeter flavors so use a a spray with 2/3 apple juice 1/3 cider vinager.

Aim to cook at 110 for about 6 hours with the second half of that time in a baking paper or tinfoil wrap. Pull when its fork tender. Can eat like pulled pork or slice and serve
    Maybe some beer to baste it with. Usually have plenty of goat to experiment with.

Cheers for the cooking time too. Sometimes it can be hard to get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    If you are happy to process them for dog tucker untill you find one that smells good when your cutting it up and keep that one nice and clean
    you will be on to a winner

jamie oliver was advertising wood fired pizza ovens a while back
    he made some damn good looking roasts in in
    I've seen those. They're awesome. So versatile.

Te Kuiti you say? Public land?

Sliced up some duck breasts tonight for snitzel all in freezer now.[ATTACH]110679[
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Nick-D likes this.

@Nick-D Last time I tried that we could not carve it. It was so dam tender the sharp knife just pushed it off the bone into a pile. I just cooked a Venison casserole as a treat and I am starting to wish I had cooked a goat up......Dam you all........
    Bill999 and Nick-D like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    Te kuiti isn't far from turangi. Plenty of goats around there.

I was going to try and use a softer wood than manuka.

Maybe some beer to baste it with. Usually have plenty of goat to experiment with.

Cheers for the cooking time too. Sometimes it can be hard to get it right.

I've seen those. They're awesome. So versatile.
    When smoking man rule of thumb is cook till its done. A good thermometer takes the guess work away. Red meat like goat can handle a good robust smoke so don't be afraid to use a stronger wood

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    @Nick-D Last time I tried that we could not carve it. It was so dam tender the sharp knife just pushed it off the bone into a pile. I just cooked a Venison casserole as a treat and I am starting to wish I had cooked a goat up......Dam you all........
    Yeah man I miss goat. Need to find a new property
    timattalon and Preacher like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Te Kuiti you say? Public land?
    A kind doc lady told me of a few places. There is a few threads about leitch's clearing. It is well known but always seems to be goats around. I've not been there personally but we can go I if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by mrs dundee View Post
    Sliced up some duck breasts tonight for snitzel all in freezer now.[ATTACH]110679[
    Now I wish I had a duck pond.

When smoking man rule of thumb is cook till its done. A good thermometer takes the guess work away. Red meat like goat can handle a good robust smoke so don't be afraid to use a stronger wood
    I have a digital meat thermometer so should be well equipped.

Do you ever find it goes bitter? I was told that chicken is susceptible to talon gin the smoke flavour quote easily and getting a bit bitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    A kind doc lady told me of a few places. There is a few threads about leitch's clearing. It is well known but always seems to be goats around. I've not been there personally but we can go I if you like.

Now I wish I had a duck pond.

I have a digital meat thermometer so should be well equipped.

Do you ever find it goes bitter? I was told that chicken is susceptible to talon gin the smoke flavour quote easily and getting a bit bitter.
    Ime bitter is usually a symptom of too much smoke rather than a robust flavoured smoke. That being said to robust a smoke on a delicate flavoured meat and the smoke flavour overpowers it.

Goats pretty robust though so will take most things. Just use what you have on hand as long as it is considered a good smoking wood. Given the choice go something with a little sweetness, hickory or apple are both yum with lamb or goat

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam and Russian 22. like this.

Iv definitly over smoked things before
    a beef brisket and rolled roast

it wasnt bitter just waaaaaay too smokey I could only eat a small portion of it before discarding the rest to the dog, who buried it
    I think a more wood coal cook is a better way next time and let the smoke happen naturally
    like a lamb (goat) on the spit type set up
    Russian 22. likes this.