Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Yummy Tomato Sauce

Yummy Tomato Sauce

1.5kg Tomatoes
    500gr brown sugar
    2 cloves of crushed/finely chopped garlic
    1 onion finely chopped
    2T Whole cloves (wrapped in muslin/cheese cloth)
    1T salt
    1/4t cayenne pepper
    1 cup vinegar

Get the blender and puree tomatoes, onion, salt, cayenne pepper and chopped garlic together. Whack in pot with the brown sugar and the cloves which you should have put in the muslin cloth by now add in the vinegar and bring to the boil while stirring to make sure the sugar is dissolved and leave on a gentle boil for 30 mins to an hour or until it is to the thickness you want then leave for 30mins. Whack back in blender to give another whizz up to catch any bits of skin etc that may have been missed then bottle into sterilised bottles while still hot. Be warned that cayenne pepper has a bit of a boot to it so adjust to suit desired spicyness.

Now go commit sacrilege and put on your favorite roast or whatever you like to have tomato sauce with

Makes about 1.5 liters of sauce if you want more double the recipe.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

I would say that is very close to my dear olds recipe.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

R93
    Cheers mate. My grand mother used to make bloody good sauce. I will give it a whirl. You can boil the tomatoes for a bit and throw straight in ice water, skins just about fall off, if that helps.
    What sort of tomatoe do ya reckon works best or doesnt it matter?

Better hurry up with an answer before Dundee nics the recipe, and patents it
    mrs dundee likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Cheers mate. My grand mother used to make bloody good sauce. I will give it a whirl. You can boil the tomatoes for a bit and throw straight in ice water, skins just about fall off, if that helps.
    What sort of tomatoe do ya reckon works best or doesnt it matter?

Better hurry up with an answer before Dundee nics the recipe, and patents it
    Yeah any old tomato out of the garden or fruit and vege department. It is an old recipe that many people use so it is nothing new just thought I would share it as there are plenty of how to cook your meat threads but bugger all threads on making your own condiments. For my batch mum gave me a pile of tomatoes out of her garden so was a mix of cherry tomatoes and beefsteak tomatoes.

And as for dundee he would bloody well bath himself in the stuff if you gave him half a chance

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

That made figuring out what to do with all the tomatoes we've got easy. I'm cooking up a big pot full of this now!

Last edited by RimfireNZ; 27-03-2013 at 09:12 PM.
    R93 and mrs dundee like this.

All done. Nice one hunter308. Damn sauce has a shitload of sugar in it!
    I might have to do something about the half-gallon of it I eat with most meals

rob270, Toby and mrs dundee like this.

Well good to c a man cook looks really tasty.my nana used 2 make hers and it was nice as.

Quote Originally Posted by RimfireNZ View Post
    All done. Nice one hunter308. Damn sauce has a shitload of sugar in it!
    I might have to do something about the half-gallon of it I eat with most meals

You will find that after a couple of days the flavours will blend in a lot more and it wont taste so sugary I found the same thing was too sweet a day or two later it was good now after a couple of weeks it is beautiful. Oh and also the spicyness from the cayenne pepper seems to get a bit more intensive but does not last long as some of the really hot stuff people like to eat.

Whoa!!!! Just seen this thread.............will it beat watties?

Name:  picture 1012.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  163.7 KB
    EeeBees and mrs dundee like this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

"It comes out better if you take the lid off possom trapper"
    Toby likes this.
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    Whoa!!!! Just seen this thread.............will it beat watties?

Attachment 8268
    Yes it will beat watties

Nahh its lumpy with pips in it
    CFD

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    Nahh its lumpy with pips in it
    It'll put hairs on ya chest man

Quote Originally Posted by hunter308 View Post
    It'll put hairs on ya chest man
    I don't need any more of those, but it's damn tasty. I think next time I might put a little less sugar and little more vinegar in though. It's pretty sweet.

yeah same thought here next time I am going to cut the sugar a little and see what happens or up the amount of tomatoes to a double batch but leave the sugar at the same as the recipe I posted. Plus I am tempted to try using white vinegar instead of malt vinegar.