Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Yummy Tomato Sauce

I never use malt vinegar always white..., to me, the malt vinegar does not leave the preserves with a really nice colour and it has a 'coarser'/harsher flavour. My sauce recipe calls for 2lb white sugar for 12lb tomatoes...whatever that is in metrics...!! I do not put the spices in a bag cos after cooking I put it through the blender before bottling and it makes a sauce with a bit more spirit!!

Thank you Hunter308 you have inspired me to make some...
    mrs dundee likes this.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

I made first batch off this recipe last week and first of all - YESSSS!!
    Second - I was worried that it was too watery but it thickened up really well

White vinegar/Apple cider vinegar for clear, malt vinegar for darker, I chucked some sriracha sauce in for a bite
    Also, this and my pumpkin soup recipe are where stick blenders are the best

Great while tomatoes are so cheap
    EeeBees likes this.

Been meaning to post this up for a couple of weeks. If you get caught short, tinned tomatoes works a treat too. We had some whole tinned tomatoes, that we never use, and I thought I'd give them a go as sauce fodder. If I'm honest, I think I prefer the sauce made with tinned than the batch I did the week before with fresh.

I reduced the brown sugar back to about 350gr, threw in a small handful of italian herbs and let it reduce til it looked about right. So far we've used it in sammies, as a pizza sauce, and for making savoury pinwheels. Absolutely fantastic in all of them. Only downside is that we're going through it a phenomenal speed, and a batch doesn't last very long.... The rest of the family keeps flogging it too, which doesn't help.

This is a great recipe, thanks for putting it up!
    mrs dundee likes this.

Glad that everyone is enjoying this recipe and really great to see some variations of the recipe being posted too.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals