Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: 1885 rustoration

akaroa old mate old pale, I can see you are getting there, which is good but all the stress you are putting on your self I can help out. Just let me take it off your hands, think of it as stress relief , and as I have a .510" barrel I can put it to good use!!!,
    Micky Duck likes this.

@homebrew.357 no stress at this end

I made two complete spring sets for 1885s copying my original low wall ones.
    A mate friend and hardened and tempered them.
    Both sets work perfectly
    So now I can put the low wall back together and push on with re boring and cut rifling the #3 barrel I have
    csmiffy likes this.

This project came to the top of the heap recently and I have made a stock set

Added a Lyman globe front sight and tang peep rear sight

Name:  20220419_084325.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  1.10 MB

Name:  20220419_084331.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  962.6 KB
    Moa Hunter, Micky Duck and Mathias like this.

Then the real work began
    I made a bore guided drill on the Elliot tool and cutter grinder
    And drilled out the entire barrel to 16mm

Name:  20220430_085926.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  832.5 KB

While it was in the lathe I took 3mm off the barrel shank end so I could deal with excessive head space

Then I turned down a 32" long stainless steel 45 cal Vulcan barrel to 16mm and left a 5mm flange at the breech end to deal with the head space
    Name:  20220501_161215.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  1.28 MB

Then epoxy the liner in and force out excess epoxy at the breech in the shop press

Set up barrel again in the lathe
    Machine barrel shank and timing the octagonal flats and head space
    Then team chamber 45-70

Name:  20220506_134829.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  1.09 MB

Turn it around and tidy up and lapp the muzzle

Name:  20220508_090038.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  879.8 KB

For the extractor and cut the slot for that
    Then cut the extractor hook from .25 rimfire to the .45-70 rim
    Fit a complete set of self made flat springs

And it fired a dummy round and even better the firing pin doesn't drag down the case when I open the action

So tomorrow a few proof rounds while the stock is still off being sanded and finished
    And that's another rustoration maybe finished and it only took a few years

Looking good, nicely done. A couple of questions how did you get on with the threads on the screws, single point cut or did you find something close. Also I was thinking of trying Vulcan for a 45 barrel (45 acp projects) are they any good?

Cheers

Darren

Quote Originally Posted by Fssprecision View Post
    Looking good, nicely done. A couple of questions how did you get on with the threads on the screws, single point cut or did you find something close. Also I was thinking of trying Vulcan for a 45 barrel (45 acp projects) are they any good?

Cheers

Darren
    The screws were made from scratch from silver steel rod and cut on the lathe
    Actually better than the images give credit for

Vulcan barrels are great and I have used a few and have quite a few more on hand for future and current projects
    Some of the barrels have been done for me within a week but Mr Vulcan is a close personal friend and gunsmithing mentor

Great thanks for that, yep funny sometimes you get a great finish but looks awful in the photos….. cheers

Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    The screws were made from scratch from silver steel rod and cut on the lathe
    Actually better than the images give credit for

Vulcan barrels are great and I have used a few and have quite a few more on hand for future and current projects
    Some of the barrels have been done for me within a week but Mr Vulcan is a close personal friend and gunsmithing mentor

Just reminded me I made a set up for easily producing perfect slots when making screws, basically a drill chuck held in the tool post and a slitting saw in the lather chuck. dead quick to use for multiples and if you have readout event better...............Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Very nice, have any photos of the bore guided drill? I have a busted old barrel that could do with the same treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by SixtyTen View Post
    Very nice, have any photos of the bore guided drill? I have a busted old barrel that could do with the same treatment.
    It's secret

Just reminded me I made a set up for easily producing perfect slots when making screws, basically a drill chuck held in the tool post and a slitting saw in the lather chuck. dead quick to use for multiples and if you have readout event better...............Cheers
    Thats a lot easier than doing it on the mill
    much easier to get lined up and better vision
    Fssprecision likes this.

Cheers

Darren
    They are first-class barrels! I have been using .451" Vulcan barrels for many years on my De Lisle carbines, as well as other calibres on rifles. My personal .30/06 long range rifle has one which consistently shoots sub MOA.

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    They are first-class barrels! I have been using .451" Vulcan barrels for many years on my De Lisle carbines, as well as other calibres on rifles. My personal .30/06 long range rifle has one which consistently shoots sub MOA.
    Great thanks for the reply 16:1 for 45?