Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: 6.5 STW case and load development.

  1. #1
    Member 257weatherby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Crimechurch City.
    Posts
    1,634

    6.5 STW case and load development.

    Started comment on my 6.5 STW development in another thread, but the 6.5 Saum guys felt violated, so starting a different thread for a real 6.5 powerhouse

    Got my hands on a 6.5 STW, Remington 700 action, GRS stock and 3 groove Lilja 28" barrel.
    300 Weatherby cases and a canister of 50BMG to get started, did the math to work out a start load to fireform the cases, necked my first 10 and went down to the range. 80gns of 50BMG got me 3050fps average with 130gn Sierra Gameking HP's.
    Name:  Ready  to fireform.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  501.9 KB

    Was only bore sighted so it cost me two rounds to get on the paper to get an idea how it might go for grouping accuracy
    Name:  6.5 STW  fireforming groups..jpg
Views: 521
Size:  322.1 KB
    Rather happy with the start, considering I don't normally use bench rests front and rear, normally only ever shoot wrapped through the sling and over a daybag even on the range, so found the shooting off rests really unnatural. Have necked the rest of my cases and loaded then in 5 round sets at +1 grain per set, the last set will run at 88gns of 50BMG, assuming I don't run into pressure problems first, was able to get more in the pre fireformed cases than I thought, will go high 90's in the formed cases. Decent sort of a bang then I think.
    7mmsaum and Bugbait like this.

  2. #2
    R93
    R93 is online now
    Member R93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Westland NZ
    Posts
    14,565
    Looking good.

    Is rifle like an SF GPMG and you have 5 quick change barrels? 😆

    80gr of 50BMG giving 3050fps?
    Or did I read that wrong?

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

  3. #3
    Member 257weatherby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Crimechurch City.
    Posts
    1,634
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Looking good.

    Is rifle like an SF GPMG and you have 5 quick change barrels? ��

    80gr of 50BMG giving 3050fps?
    Or did I read that wrong?

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Now that would be a handy Tahr gun, but prefer someone to carry it for me, getting old, apparently.
    Yep 80gns, Seems slow on first look, but the Sierra HP Gameking usually runs anywhere from 50-100 fps slower than it's equivalent weight projectile in most calibres, likely it's the bearing surface and heavy wall, and a lot of energy goes into blowing out the case, it's a bit more than blowing out an Ackley, leaves a really short neck.

  4. #4
    Member 300_BLK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Central North Island
    Posts
    2,218
    Pics of the fired cases?

    Seems real slow to me... Mighty 264 WM nets 3300 with considerably less powder...

  5. #5
    Sending it Gibo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    The Hill
    Posts
    20,379
    Pics of rifle too

  6. #6
    Member Uplandstalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Canterbury
    Posts
    1,324
    From what I've read, in you 28" inch barrel, it could be possible to get to 3500fps with the 140gn with around 87-88gn of 50cal powder before the pressure turns to shit.

    Maybe, just maybe, you could try some Matrix bullets in this bad boy

  7. #7
    Member 257weatherby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Crimechurch City.
    Posts
    1,634
    Quote Originally Posted by 300_BLK View Post
    Pics of the fired cases?

    Seems real slow to me... Mighty 264 WM nets 3300 with considerably less powder...
    Well I suppose I could just fill the case to the top and pull the trigger and see what happens........... am fire forming and inventing load data at the same time.
    My .264 Win Mag gets 3300fps with 130gn Swifts easily, but there is a lot of published data for it.
    veitnamcam, Matt2308 and 300_BLK like this.

  8. #8
    Terminator Products Kiwi Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    5,412
    Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    Well I suppose I could just fill the case to the top and pull the trigger and see what happens........... am fire forming and inventing load data at the same time.
    My .264 Win Mag gets 3300fps with 130gn Swifts easily, but there is a lot of published data for it.
    Bit of info here for you.

    6.5mm STW @ www.reloadersnest.com

  9. #9
    Member 257weatherby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Crimechurch City.
    Posts
    1,634
    Quote Originally Posted by Uplandstalker View Post
    From what I've read, in you 28" inch barrel, it could be possible to get to 3500fps with the 140gn with around 87-88gn of 50cal powder before the pressure turns to shit.

    Maybe, just maybe, you could try some Matrix bullets in this bad boy
    Worked up through the load increases and fire formed all the cases today, 86gns of 50BMG gets 3400fps, it stops there though, can't get any more in the preformed case at the given seating depth, should get to 3500fps with the finished case and the same bullet, will likely switch to the Berger for more velocity gain and may go to ADI2225 in search of 3600fps.
    Matt2308 and Uplandstalker like this.

  10. #10
    Member 257weatherby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Crimechurch City.
    Posts
    1,634
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    Bit of info here for you.

    6.5mm STW @ www.reloadersnest.com
    Cheers for that, trolled the net a bit looking for data, but elected to trust my own judgement/seat of the pants in the end and start safe but with plenty in the case,

  11. #11
    Member 257weatherby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Crimechurch City.
    Posts
    1,634
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Pics of rifle too
    I think you've seen this one already, but I wiped off the stains so you could do it, oops, I meant see it again! Bloody gun porn!
    Name:  STW 1.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  618.9 KB
    300 Weatherby cases, standard, necked and formed, the faster loads formed the case better, this is the start load.
    Name:  300 weatherby prior,necked and formed.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  650.8 KB

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    2,315
    Shit with a short neck like that you are going to burn your throat in not time. I would have gone with a 6.5-300 weatherby,a bit more neck to hold those bullets and to postpone the burial day of your tomato stake.

  13. #13
    Member 257weatherby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Crimechurch City.
    Posts
    1,634
    Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    Shit with a short neck like that you are going to burn your throat in not time. I would have gone with a 6.5-300 weatherby,a bit more neck to hold those bullets and to postpone the burial day of your tomato stake.
    7mm Mag has a short neck, doesn't burn out throats in short order. Neck length isn't a factor in throat degradation, fast loads, faster hot powders and strings that allow high continuous throat temperature are the main culprits. I think people make too much out of "short throat/barrel life". They are still making barrels. You are hereby invited to build a 6.5 300 Weatherby and race me to barrel life endex.

    Maybe Kiwi Greg could comment on that.
    300_BLK likes this.

  14. #14
    Caretaker
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hawkes Bay
    Posts
    6,314
    Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    7mm Mag has a short neck, doesn't burn out throats in short order. Neck length isn't a factor in throat degradation, fast loads, faster hot powders and strings that allow high continuous throat temperature are the main culprits. I think people make too much out of "short throat/barrel life". They are still making barrels. You are hereby invited to build a 6.5 300 Weatherby and race me to barrel life endex.

    Maybe Kiwi Greg could comment on that.
    All true
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

  15. #15
    R93
    R93 is online now
    Member R93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Westland NZ
    Posts
    14,565
    Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    7mm Mag has a short neck, doesn't burn out throats in short order. Neck length isn't a factor in throat degradation, fast loads, faster hot powders and strings that allow high continuous throat temperature are the main culprits. I think people make too much out of "short throat/barrel life". They are still making barrels. You are hereby invited to build a 6.5 300 Weatherby and race me to barrel life endex.

    Maybe Kiwi Greg could comment on that.
    +1

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. who does reloading & load development in chch
    By 1justin in forum Reloading and Ballistics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 29-07-2016, 11:15 PM
  2. 6.5mm 143gr ELD-X first load development
    By chalkeye in forum Reloading and Ballistics
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 27-03-2016, 08:56 PM
  3. Load development
    By Cartman in forum Reloading and Ballistics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 30-07-2015, 10:42 PM
  4. ADI 308 Projectiles / Load development
    By Tertle in forum Reloading and Ballistics
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 12-06-2014, 08:15 PM
  5. Load development issue
    By ning in forum Reloading and Ballistics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-12-2013, 09:43 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!